ADVERTISEMENT

D.M Register All-State Teams

Apr 29, 2012
At what point will the Register staff ask for help when putting these "All-State Teams" together? Chandler Harding from Tipton lead District 6 (toughest district in 1A) in rusher this year. He also set the all time Tipton rushing record and no mention on the All-State Team? Also, how is it that Regina walks through the 1A playoffs and only gets 5 kids on the two teams? Hell they didn't even include the leading tackler from Regina's defense!?
What a joke!!

==== CLASS 1-A ====

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

E: Jordan Rommes, South Winneshiek, jr.

E: Luke West, Ogden, jr.

L: Ramsey Bark, Nashua-Plainfield, sr.

L: Joey Thraen, IKM-Manning, sr.

L: Dalton Lape, North Fayette Valley, sr.

L: Tanner Hargrafen, Maquoketa Valley (Delhi), sr.

L: Brian Coulthard, Dike-New Hartford, sr.

QB: Drew Cook, Iowa City Regina, jr.

B: Ben Wellman, Tri-Center (Neola), sr.

B: Vinnie Harvey, Fort Dodge St. Edmond, sr.

B: Ryan Parmely, Maquoketa Valley (Delhi), jr.

K: Jacob Adam, Iowa City Regina, jr.

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE

E: Trey Roehlk, Clayton Ridge (Guttenberg), sr.

E: Bryan Amelon, Iowa City Regina, sr.

L: Trey Bowman, C.B. St. Albert, sr.

L: Mike Sehl, Iowa City Regina, sr.

L: Austin Pohl, Manson-Northwest Webster, sr.

L: Darrik Poshusta, South Winneshiek, sr.

L: Scott Stueland, Tipton, sr.

QB: Ryan Garthoff, Ridge View (Holstein), sr.

B: Koy Snider, Wilton, sr.

B: Devin Tripp, Sioux Central (Sioux Rapids), jr.

B: Zach Nieman, South O'Brien, sr.

K: Byron Fritch, Dike-New Hartford, sr.

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

L: Spencer Benton, Van Meter, sr.

L: Garrett Johnston, Panorama (Panora), sr.

L: Ryan Moser, Clayton Ridge (Guttenberg), jr.

L: Dakota Moore, North Fayette Valley, sr.

LB: Henry Haglund, Ogden, sr.

LB: Dylan Preston, Clayton Ridge (Guttenberg), sr.

LB: Sam Waid, South Hamilton, jr.

LB: Jake Brinkman, Iowa City Regina, jr.

B: Clayton Scott, West Central Valley (Stuart), sr.

B: Trevor Ullestad, South Hamilton, sr.

B: Kyle Hanson, St. Ansgar, sr.

P: Brandon Brittain, Van Meter, sr.

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE

L: Joe Ricker, Mount Ayr, jr.

L: Jacob Giese, Wilton, jr.

L: Caelan Burbank, Fort Dodge St. Edmond, sr.

L: Elliot Halsch, Iowa City Regina, sr.

LB: Tyler Johansen, North Fayette Valley, jr.

LB: Matt Wandrey, Ridge View (Holstein), sr.

LB: Dane Livengood, Treynor, sr.

LB: Kris Ihde, Clayton Ridge (Guttenberg), sr.

B: Josh Arens, Sumner-Fredericksburg, sr.

B: Spencer Halloran, West Fork, sr.

B: Landon Peed, Fort Dodge St. Edmond, jr.

P: Jalen Tranbarger, Sumner-Fredericksburg, sr.

Why does Harden deserve to be on the team? This isn't a lifetime achievement award or a Tipton all time award, this is a season award and he didn't earn his way on the list. I suppose you could make an argument to be on the 2nd team above Tripp but he has a similar argument. He played on a team even worse than Tipton and faced 4 of BCMoore's top 15 teams.

Harden 1467 6.4 ypc 16 TDs 212 receiving 1 TD

1st Team
Parmely 2544 7.5 ypc 24 TDs 161 receiving 2 TDs
Wellmann 2041 8.3 ypc 22 TDs 17 receiving
Harvey 1581 5.5 ypc 35 TDs

2nd Team
Nieman 2156 6.8 ypc 25 TDs 119 receiving 1 TD
Snider 1197 7 ypc 18 TDs 731 receiving 12 TDs
Tripp 1630 5.5 16 TDs 19 receiving 1 TDs

This post was edited on 11/25 9:08 AM by CP84

As mentioned before, district 6 is the toughest 1A district in the state and nothing against Hardings teammates but he made a lot of those yards on his own.

Then who do you think he should replace on this list? Maybe 2nd or 3rd team all district but not state.

I'd even put some of these other guys at or ahead of him of there was a third team:

Riley Dixon 1400 7.7 ypc 19 TDs

TJ O'Tool 1419 8.4 ypc 14 TDs Didn't play first two games of the season

Josh Mackey 1702 7.1 ypc 21 TDs

Derrick Kuehner 1552 8.6 23 TDs
This post was edited on 11/25 9:23 AM by CP84

Dixon also missed a few games with injuries..bottom line is Des Monies register is a joke every year. The best all state team you will find every year is the INA team, they take more then just stats into account. That list should come out within a week.

Originally posted by pribs36:
Dixon also missed a few games with injuries..bottom line is Des Monies register is a joke every year. The best all state team you will find every year is the INA team, they take more then just stats into account. That list should come out within a week.
I wouldn't hesitate to put Dixon on the first team. Other guys had better overall numbers, but he missed a couple games and also wasn't leaned on as heavily as other guys because of how good his teammates are. But he's one of the state's top players, regardless of position, and his being snubbed is an absolute joke.

Originally posted by tm3308:

Originally posted by pribs36:
I wouldn't hesitate to put Dixon on the first team. Other guys had better overall numbers, but he missed a couple games and also wasn't leaned on as heavily as other guys because of how good his teammates are. But he's one of the state's top players, regardless of position, and his being snubbed is an absolute joke.
If I was picking my own team based on ability I would take Dixon as a rb and Peed as a wr but this is an awards list based on production. Just like college football awards it should be based on production.

You claim Dixon wasn't leaned on heavily and missed a couple games. You could also make the same argument for Peed who played in an offense that rarely threw even though he made the most of every opportunity. If you put Peed in IC Regina's offense he'd easily be first team.

Dixon had the benefit of playing on a team with multiple weapons. Sure his opportunities might not be the same as someone like Nieman or Tripp but when he did get an opportunity his offense spread out the opposing defense opening huge holes. Compare that to someone like Tripp who played on a terrible team and faced 9-10 guys in the box every run. I probably would have given Dixon the nod on second team over Tripp based on production alone but who do you think he should replace on the 1st team (Harvey, Wellman, Parmely)?
This post was edited on 11/25 9:04 AM by CP84

Facts are difficult.

Chandler HARDEN played in DISTRICT 5 and did not even lead his own district in rushing. Parmely did.

Harden is a good player, but there are lots of good players. These lists are very subjective.

Originally posted by CraigsNews:
Facts are difficult.

Chandler HARDEN played in DISTRICT 5 and did not even lead his own district in rushing. Parmely did.

Harden is a good player, but there are lots of good players. These lists are very subjective.

That's a good point. I think the easiest way to make these lists as unbiased as possible is to primarily consider production (i.e. stats) which for the most part they appeared to do. I think there were a couple guys that performed better than Tripp but for the most part I like the other RBs where they are.

Dixon should have made at least 2nd team.

Take into account the rushing attempts.

Dixon 181 attempts for 1400 yards (19 TD's) (...and he missed 2.5 games with an ankle injury)

Tripp 312 attempts for 1630 yards (16 TD's).

130 more rushing attempts for Tripp. And, Dixon continued to put up nice numbers against some of the best defenses in 1A down the stretch.

Also, congrats to Regina's Jake Adam who set the Iowa record for kicking points with 105 this season.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:

Dixon 181 attempts for 1400 yards (19 TD's) (...and he missed 2.5 games with an ankle injury)

130 more rushing attempts for Tripp. And, Dixon continued to put up nice numbers against some of the best defenses in 1A down the stretch.
I don't disagree that Tripp might be the one questionable back on the list. He may have made it because he was their only real offensive talent and still put up solid numbers against several decent teams playing 9 to 10 guys in the box (SC only threw for

Originally posted by CP84:

I don't disagree that Tripp might be the one questionable back on the list. He may have made it because he was their only real offensive talent and still put up solid numbers against several decent teams playing 9 to 10 guys in the box. I think Dixon could arguably be on the 2nd team (no way on the first, who'd he replace?), but you could say the same about Derrick Kuehner and Josh Mackey who both had better numbers than Dixon and Tripp.
They did because most of those teams ran the ball 95% of the time. That will inflate rushing numbers.
But, I think Dixon making the 2nd team would have been the right choice.

I don't disagree that Tripp might be the one questionable back on the list. He may have made it because he was their only real offensive talent and still put up solid numbers against several decent teams playing 9 to 10 guys in the box. I think Dixon could arguably be on the 2nd team (no way on the first, who'd he replace?), but you could say the same about Derrick Kuehner and Josh Mackey who both had better numbers than Dixon and Tripp.
They did because most of those teams ran the ball 95% of the time. That will inflate rushing numbers.
But, I think Dixon making the 2nd team would have been the right choice.
More carries will inflate total yards but it's harder to run against a stacked box with no surrounding talent than it is for Regina who spreads out the defense with a good passing game and thus your ypc should be better in Regina's offense. Regina ran pretty easily against SE for that reason alone. They had linebackers dropping back in coverage and sometimes Dixon had holes for five yards before contact. Against Sioux Central they are able to send defensive backs against the run and blitz linebackers every play. I can concede Dixon over Tripp but I still think Kuehner and Mackey make a good case against Dixon.

Sometimes the best teams might not have the best players at every position but they have good players at most positions. Look at the class A all state list. Algona Garigan was arguably a top 3 team in state and the only team that played West Lyon close and they had one guy on this list (a punter).
This post was edited on 11/25 10:19 AM by CP84

i saw Mike Gould of WB play a couple of times and he is the best LB i watched play at 1A all year.
I think Schmidt from Wilton should have been an all-state WR as well.
Harden was nowhere near 1st or 2nd team all-state. Good back but played in a very average district. i should know, i played in same league a few years ago.

Maybe the INA teams will get it right.
DSM Register doesnt even watch most Eastern IA teams unless they are named Regina. So they go by what a coach says about his own kid and by QuikStatsIowa

Originally posted by GoEagles23:
i saw Mike Gould of WB play a couple of times and he is the best LB i watched play at 1A all year.
Harden was nowhere near 1st or 2nd team all-state. Good back but played in a very average district. i should know, i played in same league a few years ago.

DSM Register doesnt even watch most Eastern IA teams unless they are named Regina. So they go by what a coach says about his own kid and by QuikStatsIowa
Defense can be a crap shoot unless you are basing on sacks or interceptions. Linebacker play can be tough to judge and tackles aren't always a good stat to go on because bad teams get more opportunities.

As far as Schmidt he's definitely deserving to make this list but I don't know that he's better than either of the two second stringers (Amelon and Roehlk). It's probably a tossup between Schmidt and Amelon and they elected to go with the guy on the team that had more success. For this type of list you have to go by stats otherwise it gets way too subjective. Like I said earlier if this was based solely on ability I'd take Peed as one of the best receivers. He didn't have a good QB and wasn't in a passing offense but he was the best big play receiver averaging 26 yards per catch and had 102 yards against Regina in the finals. Put Peed in Regina or Wilton's passing offense and he would be a 1000 yard receiver. Look what he did on only 26 catches this season. 670 yards 7 TDs. Better than 1 out of 4 receptions went for TDs.
This post was edited on 11/25 11:21 AM by CP84

i heard from my cousin that a WB kid was voted as the best WR in the district (Donovan) over the 2 guys you listed and he didn't even sniff all-state.

As far as Schmidt he's definitely deserving to make this list but I don't know that he's better than either of the two second stringers (Amelon and Roehlk). It's probably a tossup between Schmidt and Amelon and they elected to go with the guy on the team that had more success.

i heard from my cousin that a WB kid was voted as the best WR in the district (Donovan) over the 2 guys you listed and he didn't even sniff all-state.

As far as Schmidt he's definitely deserving to make this list but I don't know that he's better than either of the two second stringers (Amelon and Roehlk). It's probably a tossup between Schmidt and Amelon and they elected to go with the guy on the team that had more success.
It's all about the numbers. Donovan like Peed didn't have them. Amelon and Roehlk did.

Donovan: 33 catches 642 yards 7 TDs.
This post was edited on 11/25 12:26 PM by CP84

Gould got shredded by Regina's running game. Dixon had 146 yards before halftime but had to leave that game due to an injury in the 2nd quarter.

Gould got shredded by Regina's running game. Dixon had 146 yards before halftime but had to leave that game due to an injury in the 2nd quarter.
In full disclosure I haven't seen Gould play so I can't say one way or the other but it might be unfair to compare his performance in one game to determine how his season went (see Manti Teo vs Alabama). Few would argue that Teo wasn't a top 3 lineback but he sure didn't look like it in that game. Plus football is the ultimate team sport. Without having seen WB-Regina it's tough to say how responsible he was for Regina's running success. Perhaps Regina keyed taking him out of the play. That's all assumptions on my part but I just don't want to credit or discredit a player based on one game against the clear #1 team.

Looking at Gould's numbers I don't see anything that jumps out that says he's that impressive but defensive stats can be tricky to evaluate. Guys like Brinkman don't have a ton of tackles but he has 6 sacks as a linebacker. That jumps out. TJ O'Tool has >100 tackles and two pick 6's. Henry Haglund for Ogden had a whopping 176 tackes with most of those being solo tackles. I just don't see any numbers from Gould that says wow this guy has to be good but that doesn't mean he's not.

This post was edited on 11/25 2:03 PM by CP84

The TD run by Dixon in that highlight reel is exactly the kind of play I saw him make several times this season. His numbers don't stack up, but I put a little more even weight on talent/what a guy brings to the table, and his gross production. Dixon was the best player on the field nearly every time I saw him play. And it's not like his number would have been lackluster. His end of season numbers, divided by the 12 games he played in, came out 117 yards per game. If he'd done that for the full 14 games, he'd have had over 1600 yards. He also would have been on pace for 22 touchdowns.

I know what I saw on the field, and I saw few other players who did the kinds of things Dixon could do, even on nights when he wasn't stuffing the stat sheet. That, in combination with his stats, is enough for me to say I would have put him on first team, no question.

Again who would you replace on the first team. I'm not questioning his ability I just don't know who you would replace. I can definitely see an argument for second team though.

Parmely and Wellman were 2000 yard rushers averaging over seven per carry and Harvey led the state in rushing touchdowns and was easily the best blocking fullback.
This post was edited on 11/25 10:28 PM by CP84

I agree. I said I think he belongs on the second team. And, he does.
He made first team in the other poll.

yeah but that's because they put the states leading rusher Parmely as a linebacker rather than a running back. Register listed him as a running back rather than linebacker.

I wouldn't have an issue replacing Harvey with Dixon, at least not based on what I saw at the Dome. I didn't even think Harvey was the best back on his own team, much less one of the top three in the state. He's far from a bad player, but I'd take Dixon over him on my team in a heartbeat. Dixon does a lot of things very well; he's as complete of a package as any back out there this year. Speed, strength, vision, hands.

Originally posted by tm3308:
I wouldn't have an issue replacing Harvey with Dixon, at least not based on what I saw at the Dome. I didn't even think Harvey was the best back on his own team, much less one of the top three in the state. He's far from a bad player, but I'd take Dixon over him on my team in a heartbeat. Dixon does a lot of things very well; he's as complete of a package as any back out there this year. Speed, strength, vision, hands.

Granted Harvey didn't have a good game against Regina but it's not really an apples to apples comparison. He's a fullback not a tailback and all his yards come up the gut which are harder to come by than breaking one on the outside. Regina focused on clogging the middle which opened the outside for O'Tool to have some success. SE realized that so that's why they ran to O'Tool 18 times on the outside opposed to 7 up the middle for Harvey. They went with what the defense was willing to give them. Coach Cook made a great game plan and knew to make SE one dimensional they had to shut down the runs up the middle. Cook acknowledged Harvey was the key to SE's success this season: “They have the right pieces in place to make it work,” Cook said of the St. Edmond offense. “If you don’t have a dominant fullback, a big, tough physical kid that can run inside the tackles, this offense isn’t going to be as effective.

Keep in mind there is more to fullback than rushing. Harvey was arguably the best blocking fullback in the state which allowed for the sophomore O'Tool to average over 8 yards per carry. Harvey also led the state in rushing TDs.

Sure fullback isn't as flashy as a tailback but it's hard to argue with his abilties as a blocker, getting tough yards up the gut and of course scoring 35 TDs. As good as O'Tool was, decent tailbacks are a dime a dozen. Not many teams have a great fullback and it's always been one of the most underappreciated positions in football. In reality they should almost have a separate category for this position. Even with the INA list they combine Tight Ends with Receivers. Sure they both catch passes but they are very different positions.
This post was edited on 11/26 2:03 PM by CP84

CP i agree a lot of teams spread it out & don't even have a fullback... a much under appreciated position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT