ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Positions

Oct 3, 2014
With state tourney coming up, iit is almost time for coaching positions to come open. Any ideas on what girls basketball jobs will be open?

I see on teachiowa.gov that Dallas Center-Grimes is looking for a Head Girls BB Coach. Should be a top job with their growth, facillities and athletes.

Are there teaching positions open also? This could be one of the best 4A jobs in the state. A young coach with aspirations of coaching at the highest level would also just have to wait 10 years and they might be 5A??

Burlington Notre Dame is now open. Coach Alfred lost his administrator day job with the closing of the state mental health facility in Mt Pleasant.

Some good jobs open right now. Any updates on any of these? I was in Grimes for the all star games and heard some rumors about candidates for that job.

Who are they looking at? I am thinking that is going to be a great opportunity for the right person.

Right now I believe we have interviewed an internal candidate and the coaches from Williamsburg and Mediapolis. I have also heard that we have made contact with the coach at North Linn to see if he was interested. Whoever gets the job will be in a good situation.

Originally posted by MustangsMan:
Right now I believe we have interviewed an internal candidate and the coaches from Williamsburg and Mediapolis. I have also heard that we have made contact with the coach at North Linn to see if he was interested. Whoever gets the job will be in a good situation.
When you say that we have interviewed the coach from Williamsburg, who is we? I am from the Williamsburg area and know the head coach well and was just interested.

MustangsMan is referring to DCG. I have heard the front runner is the Mepo coach. Haven't heard anything for sure though. They did the interviews last week...surprised nothing official has been decided yet.

I have also heard that the Norwalk girls are looking for a new head coach...Is this true? Another great school for an up and comer to look at! I would think anyone interested in the DCG job would also be interested in the Norwalk job. Which school would be a better choice (besides just looking 1 or 2 years into the future)??

Yes, I have a daughter in the youth program at DC-G and some contacts at the school. The way I understand it is the North Linn coach was contacted, but decided to stay put and never actually applied for the job. I would think the Mepo coach would be a logical choice. Excited to see how it shakes out. Norwalk would also be a great position, I might be biased, but I think DC-G might be a better one :)

This post was edited on 4/4 7:12 PM by MustangsMan

Solon has hired Lisa Bishop as their coach - any other updates on any of these?

This post was edited on 4/4 5:15 PM by AN96

Did all the other candidates turn it down? It sounds like an odd hire when there was so much girls' coaching experience at winning programs.

I am not sure about other coaches turning it down, I believe the North Linn coach pulled his name from consideration after being contacted, but have not heard anything else.

Might seem like an odd hire from the outside, but he has done a nice job as part of the boys program and is well respected within the district. He will do a great job going forward in my opinion.

I think that Adam Jones will be an excellent hire.

Any word on the Norwalk job? Another pretty good central Iowa job. My guess is that it is Jill Martin's if she wants it.

Anyone have any updates on these positions? You would think schools would want to have these filled soon so they can begin their plans for the summer.

The head coach was fired a couple days ago. There is an article in the newton daily news but I can't link it.

Sounds like Burlington Notre Dame hired the assistant coach to be head coach. Heard that on the radio this morning. Haven't heard if Mepo head coach (also elementary teacher ) is staying or leaving. I know the assistant coach at Mepo resigned as coach, but will still be teaching.

Which assistant from BND took the head job? Watching them at state, they had quite a few on the bench

Burlington high school varsity girls basketball position is now open. Kevin Mills is returning to the NW part of the state to take the same position at Fort Dodge pending approval by the school board. Coach Mills was 3-39 over his last three years at BHS having to deal with injuries, youth and other detractors. He was previously successful at Lawton-Bronson prior to coming to BHS.

Burlington high school varsity girls basketball position is now open. Kevin Mills is returning to the NW part of the state to take the same position at Fort Dodge pending approval by the school board. Coach Mills was 3-39 over his last three years at BHS having to deal with injuries, youth and other detractors. He was previously successful at Lawton-Bronson prior to coming to BHS.

??? Wasn't Julius Michalik just hired to be the varsity girls coach at FD? http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...odge-dodgers-girls-basketball-coach/25785827/

Reactions: basketball777
Mills was 3-39 the last 2 years. They definitely need someone that can get it headed in the right direction. Have not even had enough girls the last 2 years to
field a freshman team. Transfers are also killing the program as well.

Mills was 3-39 the last 2 years. They definitely need someone that can get it headed in the right direction. Have not even had enough girls the last 2 years to
field a freshman team. Transfers are also killing the program as well.
What transfers have they had besides Gilbert?

Yes they did. Both left after sophomore year at BHS. This is their 2nd year of college. That would be 4 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT