ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton River Kings - Davenport West Falcons Game Ends Early

The Clinton River Kings dominated the Davenport West Falcons, 34-9 in a game that took place on August 31, 2018. The game however ended early due to a fight that escalated from an illegal hit on the quarterback that did not get called by the games officials.

Here is an excerpt from the Clinton Herald. Full Article Here: http://www.clintonherald.com/sports...cle_8c8ca94a-ad97-11e8-883a-0fc6142ca606.html

"Clinton ultimately dismantled Davenport West 34-9 in a Mississippi Athletic Conference battle at Coan Field Friday night – a contest that ended prematurely as the visitors exited the stadium late in the fourth quarter following a sack of West quarterback Zach Trevino and subsequent on-field skirmish between the teams.

The play occurred on the opposite side of the field from Clinton’s sidelines, and River Kings coach Jon Wauford said he did not clearly see the play that eventually led to Davenport West forfeiting the game with 2:14 remaining in regulation.

“It was on the far sideline so I did not really see anything,” Wauford said. “Our team has nothing to be ashamed of… I thought we played a hard football game and it is an emotional sport but that is OK.”

Here is an excerpt from the Quad Cities Times. Full Article Here: https://qctimes.com/sports/high-sch...cle_930a458e-a0dc-5827-8a7b-666dbd02e74b.html

"CLINTON — A hard-hitting football game came to an early conclusion Friday night at Clinton.

As trainers attended to Davenport West quarterback Zach Trevino following a sack in front of the Falcons’ bench late in the fourth quarter, tempers flared, heated words and shoves were exchanged and game was ended with 2 minutes, 14 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter and the River Kings ahead 34-9.

Coaches and players prevented the situation from escalating, with West players sent to the locker room and Clinton players huddling along their sideline before exiting the field.

“It was on the opposite side of the field from where I was at. It’s unfortunate,’’ River Kings coach Jon Wauford said. “Both teams played a hard, tough football game. Football, it’s an emotional sport. The emotions were running high.’’

West coach Justin Peters declined the opportunity to discuss what transpired.

“I’m not going to talk about that,’’ Peters said.

The game-ending situation occurred three snaps after Clinton had scored its final points on a 30-yard run by quarterback Kalvin Godette, who ran for 116 yards and threw three touchdown passes in a game the River Kings led from their first position.

Trevino, who hit Payton Heath with a 31-yard touchdown pass midway through the fourth quarter, had completed back-to-back passes before he was sacked and play ultimately was halted."

Some of the Twitter comments by @CHerald_Sports:

Some of the Twitter comments by Steve Batterson: (@sbatt79):

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT