Boyer Valley
Charter Oak-Ute
Coon Rapids-Bayard
Glidden-Ralston
River Valley
West Harrison

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FB4-Life
Correction. A well timed email from Todd Tharp says classification and districts will hopefully be released on the afternoon of the 20th.

14 days and counting...

Public & non-public by-grade enrollment figures are both up on the DOE website. A few private schools didn't report, but they look like they will fall in the middle of their classes based on last year's BEDS numbers from the IHSAA site. Based on what I've seen reported on here, Class A should have 56 teams and 62-63 in 8-man.

Only surprises for me in 8man were Clarinda Academy coming down, Siouxland Christian-Whiting coming down and Newell-Fonda staying 8man. I got very reliable info that they were A for sure and they supposedly have a soph class of 60 and somehow a Beds of (112). So they have a 26 student avg in 9th and 11th grades. I find that extremely weird. Someone fill me in of something I said is inaccurate. Not saying they are cheating just seems like something is missing/inaccurate.

By far and away the worst info I got, from an IHSAA exec mind you, that Belmond-Klemme was wanting to drop to 8man. Their BEDS came in at (171). Wow! Only a couple kids over the (115) cutoff haha.

Thoughts? Most curious where everyone thinks they put the 2 districts of 7. Multiple spots on the map IMO.

Quick look thru the new classifications and comparing to last years rosters and wondering if some schools hoping to have a team next year might not start or be able to finish the season. 1 team has 7 returners, 3 have 12, 11 have 15-19. Just counting next years SO, JR & SR. Might be wise planning to make sure those lower 4 aren't in a district of 7 teams assuming 8 districts. (I'd still rather see 6 districts of 9 and 1 of 8)

(I didn't check every roster just looked at ones on the lower end of the Beds)

Last edited:
Here's a look at 8-man schools.

https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/8-Man schools

- NW Iowa looks a little more spaced out with the loss of MMC and Remsen-Union.
- SW Iowa looks packed...interesting to see how they break up all those teams down there. 21 schools west of I-35 and south of Highway 20...could go a lot of different ways. Adding Clarinda Academy, Audobon, CO-U, CAM really made this area interesting
- As roosterk said...what happens if you stick some of these schools in the same district? Woodbine, West Harrison, and CO-U are really close? CO-U didn't play varsity last year, and the other two have REALLY low numbers. Could get ugly in year 2 of the cycle.
- Someone in North Central Iowa is going to end up with some long drives, whether that will be N-F, WBM, North Iowa & N-K
- Eastern Iowa also has clusters...how will they break them up? WACO and Easton Valley seem to be out in the middle of nowhere, but the rest are pretty clumped up.

I thought state is redistricting every year now because of schools constantly consolidating? Or was that just a consideration

I thought state is redistricting every year now because of schools constantly consolidating? Or was that just a consideration

No, football redistricting is every two years because of regular season scheduling. That way everyone gets an equal number of home district dates over the two-year cycle. I had suggested on this forum that they lock in the 8-man membership for the cycle, but leave the option to redo districts in the second year if/when schools lose a district member to sharing/consolidation.

Only surprises for me in 8man were Clarinda Academy coming down, Siouxland Christian-Whiting coming down and Newell-Fonda staying 8man. I got very reliable info that they were A for sure and they supposedly have a soph class of 60 and somehow a Beds of (112). So they have a 26 student avg in 9th and 11th grades. I find that extremely weird. Someone fill me in of something I said is inaccurate. Not saying they are cheating just seems like something is missing/inaccurate.

By far and away the worst info I got, from an IHSAA exec mind you, that Belmond-Klemme was wanting to drop to 8man. Their BEDS came in at (171). Wow! Only a couple kids over the (115) cutoff haha.

Thoughts? Most curious where everyone thinks they put the 2 districts of 7. Multiple spots on the map IMO.

Did Cal end up joining BK?

I know that Clarinda academy won't be a contender to win many games wherever they play but what do you guys think of them playing 8man with 96 boys enrollment so essentially 192 BEDS for a normal school?

Clarinda & Woodward Academies face special challenges other schools don't: a fluid student body, many students not eligible due to high diciiplinary standards, simplified schemes to overcome the lack of returning starters.

This years redistricting is shaping up to be an absolute nightmare for this class especially with the playoff changes eliminating half the field. Has state released their structure yet of how teams get in to the playoffs outside of the district champs? Are they taking the district runners up or are they going with the wild card picks for sure?

7_district_draft.jpg
Here's a look at 8-man schools.

https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/8-Man schools

- NW Iowa looks a little more spaced out with the loss of MMC and Remsen-Union.
- SW Iowa looks packed...interesting to see how they break up all those teams down there. 21 schools west of I-35 and south of Highway 20...could go a lot of different ways. Adding Clarinda Academy, Audobon, CO-U, CAM really made this area interesting
- As roosterk said...what happens if you stick some of these schools in the same district? Woodbine, West Harrison, and CO-U are really close? CO-U didn't play varsity last year, and the other two have REALLY low numbers. Could get ugly in year 2 of the cycle.
- Someone in North Central Iowa is going to end up with some long drives, whether that will be N-F, WBM, North Iowa & N-K
- Eastern Iowa also has clusters...how will they break them up? WACO and Easton Valley seem to be out in the middle of nowhere, but the rest are pretty clumped up.

Thanks for making the map, in my 8 district draft I agree that Tri-County Thornburg(53) with go SW. NW and NE will be the 7 team districts.

Last edited:
I originally liked the idea of 7 district better, but now like the 8 district better. Being able to have 2 non-district games actually reduces travel a lot for many teams and allows many local games to happen that can't with 7 districts and having only 1 non-district game.

I also hope the state looks at success & roster size when figuring out the non-district games to try to make competitive games even if it takes a few more miles of driving. It will also help if they decide to only take district winners and the rest playoff berths as at large.

Last edited:
I originally liked the idea of 7 district better, but now like the 8 district better. Being able to have 2 non-district games actually reduces travel a lot for many teams and allows many local games to happen that can't with 7 districts and having only 1 non-district game.

I also hope the state looks at success & roster size when figuring out the non-district games to try to make competitive games even if it takes a few more miles of driving. It will also help if they decide to only take district winners and the rest playoff berths as at large.

I agree. If that state is wanting to do so called "wild card" teams, they need to have as many non-district games as possible to help give them a better idea of which teams to pick over others unless they have some formula to determine who goes based of their set criteria which most of the times doesn't give us the best teams available to play in the playoffs (ex: 2015 West Bend Mallard...most likely would have missed the playoffs most other years, made a really deep playoff run and almost ended up playing in the dome).

I know that Clarinda academy won't be a contender to win many games wherever they play but what do you guys think of them playing 8man with 96 boys enrollment so essentially 192 BEDS for a normal school?
Clarinda Academy also serves female and is a coed facility. So is the 96 just males or is this including females also. Public schools must include both in their beds reporting. I would be concerned about it being around much longer if their numbers have dropped that far. This was a for profit organization. But the company operating it dropped it and the Tarkio Academy several years ago. Now it is run by locals.

The way I understand it both 7 team districts will be side by side. I also think that I heard the state will match up you non district games

I agree. If that state is wanting to do so called "wild card" teams, they need to have as many non-district games as possible to help give them a better idea of which teams to pick over others unless they have some formula to determine who goes based of their set criteria which most of the times doesn't give us the best teams available to play in the playoffs (ex: 2015 West Bend Mallard...most likely would have missed the playoffs most other years, made a really deep playoff run and almost ended up playing in the dome).

Just a question? Has there been any talk of Heartland Christian in Council Bluffs. Will they move their program to the varsity level. They have been playing a JV schedule the last couple of years. Will they man up this next cycle? Or will they stay JV.

Just a question? Has there been any talk of Heartland Christian in Council Bluffs. Will they move their program to the varsity level. They have been playing a JV schedule the last couple of years. Will they man up this next cycle? Or will they stay JV.

I don't think they have the numbers yet to be able to as well as I don't know how competitive their JV has been with others with the such low numbers. They played varisty a few years ago and only fielded like 11 or 12 kids is all if I remember correctly and weren't really close to being competitive in any games. Pretty hard to step up to the varsity level with only that many kids to chose from. 2 or 3 injuries can really put a squeeze on a team with that low of numbers.

Heartland Christian isn't on the list, guess they are staying JV.

I can't think that NK will go that far west in district play. I think North Iowa goes west from their last district but I think NK goes east.

Possible, take a team from the farthest west district and make those both 7 team districts. But I don't think it really helps N-K travel. Then they'd have to go west for ND, and might be scheduled for 10 games to help the 7 team district out so they get GT-RA, North Iowa, and West Bend/HLP.

I have no idea what the most of the previous district looked like, just tried to group them in a way that seemed to make sense for D & ND games.

EDIT: Looking at that West most district, it needs to be an 8 team district, as pointed out above, Woodbine has 8 returners and CO-U didn't have varsity last year. Lose one of those and down to 6 teams so it needs to start with 8. Looking at that I'd move Woodbine to the east and AR-WE-VA to the west.

I could see the 3 south west districts & south central be down to 7 teams before the season is over or even begins.

Last edited:
Here's a wag at non-district games. I matched up based on last years records, should be a lot of competitive games.

8_district_ND_draft.jpg

District Champ & runner up qualify, non-district games don't count, 13 point scoring system in case of ties has been increased to 17. Not sure new or not but they assign 8-player ND games.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hwkfn1
Just released from the state:

http://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/up...17-8-Player-Football-District-Assignments.pdf

District #1
Clay Central Everly
GT/RA
Harris Lake Park
Kingsley Pierson
Newell-Fonda
Siouxland Christian-Whiting
Remsen St Mary's
West Bend Mallard

District #2
AGWSR
Clarksville
Janesville
North Iowa
Northwood Kensett
Riceville
Turkey Valley

District #3
Central City
Central Elkader
Don Bosco
Dunkerton
Kee, Lansing
Tripoli
West Central, Maynard

District #4
Cedar Valley Christian
Easton Valley
English Valleys
Iowa Valley
Lone Tree
Midland,Wyoming
Springville
WACO, Wayland

District #5
Colo-Nesco
HLV
Melcher Dallas
Meskwaki Settlement
Moravia
Seymour Moulton-Udell
Tri County
Twin Cedars

District #6
Bedford
East Union, Afton
Lamoni
Lenox
Mormon Trail
Murray
Stanton
Wayne, Corydon

District #7
CAM
Clarinda Academy
East Mills
Essex
Exira-EHK
Fremont Mills
Sidney
Woodbine

District #8
ARr-We-Va
Audubon
Boyer Valley
Charter Oak-Ute
Coon Rapids-Bayard
Glidden Ralston
River Valley, Correctionville
West Harrison

At first glance, all the districts appear to be pretty even. Obviously complaints can be made all around, but here is what we have. Do all the districts make sense? No. But I do think they did a good job of separating a lot of quality teams, so it can have the best 16 get into the playoffs.

Here's my shot at District favorites

#1- Newell Fonda
#2- Northwood Kensett
#3- Don Bosco
#4- Midland
#5- Colo-Nesco
#6- Bedford
#7- Fremont-Mills
#8- Ar-We-Va

Reactions: 71Schrodt
At first glance, all the districts appear to be pretty even. Obviously complaints can be made all around, but here is what we have. Do all the districts make sense? No. But I do think they did a good job of separating a lot of quality teams, so it can have the best 16 get into the playoffs.

Here's my shot at District favorites

#1- Newell Fonda
#2- Northwood Kensett
#3- Don Bosco
#4- Midland
#5- Colo-Nesco
#6- Bedford
#7- Fremont-Mills
#8- Ar-We-Va

Playoff Contenders by District in no particular order:

District #1
Newell Fonda
GTRA
West Bend Mallard

District #2 (tough 4 teams)
Janesville
Northwood Kennsett
AGWSR
Turkey Valley

District #3 (those two stick out at the top)
Don Bosco
Cenral Elkader

District #4
Midland
Lone Tree
Easton Valley

District #5
HLV
COLO Nesco
Moravia

District #6
Lenox
Bedford
Stanton

District #7
East Mills
EHK Exira
Fremont Mills

District #8
Glidden Ralston
Audobon
Ar We Va Westside

Looks to be very competitive class on paper across the board. I believe District #2 is the toughest while #5 is the weakest.

The most obvious screw up in my mind is SCC-Whiting going to district 1 while River Valley goes down to District 8. Why on earth would they do that?

SCC-W will pass RV on the way to all but 1 of their Dist games. It also adds 30 miles to 6 of their Dist opp traveling to play at SCC-W and also adds miles to Dist 8 teams who are south of SCC-W who have to travel to RV.

Can someone fill me in on one possibility of why they would do this? Balancing of power teams is not a possibility in this case from what RV has been lately and what most likely a new team like SCC-W will start out as competitively in 8 man football.

Let me hear your thoughts...

The most obvious screw up in my mind is SCC-Whiting going to district 1 while River Valley goes down to District 8. Why on earth would they do that?

SCC-W will pass RV on the way to all but 1 of their Dist games. It also adds 30 miles to 6 of their Dist opp traveling to play at SCC-W and also adds miles to Dist 8 teams who are south of SCC-W who have to travel to RV.

Can someone fill me in on one possibility of why they would do this? Balancing of power teams is not a possibility in this case from what RV has been lately and what most likely a new team like SCC-W will start out as competitively in 8 man football.

Let me hear your thoughts...

That does seem quite odd. With the state, there is usually 2 things involved
1) An agenda
2) A lack of thinking things through

I think it proves that for some odd reason they don't put a map on the wall and see what it looks like. I don't care if you do your initial district mock ups on paper based on mileage which I'm guessing now that's how they do it but why then wouldn't you put it on a map like we all have and see what it looks like just for checks and balances reasons. Things like I mentioned above would stick out and after looking at other classes, the same things have happened in 1 or 2 districts in each class that make very little sense.

Longest trip I found so far is Algona to Sioux City to play Heelan. 2 hours and 45 mins, good God that's a haul.

I know in 4a, Sioux City West travels to DSM 4x and Council Bluffs 1x. That sucks.

I should have sent my maps to the state, I am 99% sure I could of done better and it would have been done free of charge and a hell of a lot faster.

3 hrs from Sioux City to DSM so SC West has 4 3 HR trips and a 90 min trip to CB. Wow. Hope they get all SC or CB for non-Dist. Still doesn't make that brutal travel any better.

It will be interesting to see how AGWSR does in their first year 8 man. Good to see Colo Nesco get away from Don Bosco. The Royals lost a lot but still bring Garrett Tiarks back.

Where is Siouxland Christian-Whiting located? Are they playing in Whiting or Sioux City or somewhere else? If they are playing in Sioux City, Whiting has to travel 36 miles 1 way to get there. If it is in Sioux City it makes more sense for them to be in Dist #1 than if they are playing in Whiting.

Who knows the situation over there?

I wonder if they were concerned with SCC-Whiting completing the season since I believe this is their first so didn't want them in same district as CO-A.

“We’ll go down to Whiting to play our home games."

http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/...cle_831152ba-26f5-58be-8493-ac1c1e0f676b.html

They did separate Woodbine & CO-A(jv last year) I think out of concern of having a 6 team D8.

Woodbine(8 returners,1 SR, 2 JR, 5 SO,(might be better doing a JV year, but if they don't try this year, I don't know if the state would reschedule for them next year).

Clarinda Academy having only played 1 varsity game last year and only 2 players listed, but 20+ the year before, big question mark. Putting them in same district as Woodbine might not have been the best idea.

But Mormon Trail is in the D6 with only 6 returners, should have moved Mormon Trail to D5, Clarinda to D6, Stanton to D7, and Seymour to D6.

Last edited:
Where is Siouxland Christian-Whiting located? Are they playing in Whiting or Sioux City or somewhere else? If they are playing in Sioux City, Whiting has to travel 36 miles 1 way to get there. If it is in Sioux City it makes more sense for them to be in Dist #1 than if they are playing in Whiting.

Who knows the situation over there?
I agree that it would make a lot more sense having Siouxland Christian-Whiting go south and RIver Valley go north especially since SC-W will be playing their games in Whiting. But we all know the Boys in Boone sometimes think with their "other" brain..lol (Just a FYI it is only 28-31 miles between school locations depending on the route one drives)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT