ADVERTISEMENT

Classes and District Sites

cc coach

Varsity
Jun 10, 2002
Classes and District sites are up on the ighsau. Quick glance at 1A and 2A makes it pretty easy to tell who is going where. 1A Districts for sure are located in spots that are not really centralized in any way - thus leaving almost no options for sending strong teams in different directions.

Two of the 1A districts are on the missouri river/western border. 1A at Jesup = Denver, Elkader, North Linn, Turkey Valley, Nashua, Bellvue, Starmont, South Winneshiek.... All are returning good teams on boys, girls or both. Girls especially looks really tough at first glance - especially throwing in individuals.

Ultimately comes down to what options they really have to work with - but sure eliminates any hope of balancing districts at all when they don't have host sites in places like marshalltown, waverly, ames type areas that allow for options.

This post was edited on 8/20 1:43 PM by cc coach

This post was edited on 8/20 3:09 PM by cc coach

I just did a google map of the districts and 1A teams... should be interesting Coach.

We have PT conferences the night of districts, so were unable to host this year, so I was curious where we would be (typically we host, so I don't have any question)

I agree - not much choice in splitting 1A teams up... NL and Bellevue I believe have gone to Pekin before, and hopefully Durant goes there, but the rest of your listed teams will be at Jesup

I'm curious which teams will be pulled into Eagle Grove.

This post was edited on 8/20 2:32 PM by cc_gru

Excuse me... State Qualifying Meets (not Districts)
wink.r191677.gif

Good point CCguru - "qualifying meets" . . . .I am still trapped 20 years ago when they were districts!

Just some quick info...

5 of the top 10 preseason ranked teams for 1A girls will most likely be at Jesup...
On the boys side 5 of top 13 ranked teams for 1A boys will be there....

Should be "fun" for NE Iowa small schools this season.
Now, I do realize this is preseason...

Looking forward to cooler weather and meets starting up!

If they are preseason ranked, then that means they ran at state last year. If the state found a way to divide them up to make it to state last year, then there is a chance they will find a way to split them up again this year.

Thats a good point, although SW moved down a class and the girls did not run at the state meet in 2A (yes Coach, I do realize how loaded your district was last year
wink.r191677.gif
), and they popped DNH into the 2A girls rankings (from 1A last year)

The major change from year to year is the locations of several 1A districts - with some locations it could be a lot harder to separate where teams go. The difficult part for the state is that not very many schools are willing to host a SQM.

Should be interesting, we'll see how the rankings change over the next several weeks, and what the state does for assignments in October.

Yeah - the "well it worked last year so it will work just fine this year" argument does not necessarily hold up real well. Last year, we (south winn) were in 2A. Last year Denver went to Marshalltown (instead of starmont). That is an outstanding boys and girls team (denver) and solid girls and boys team (us) that are suddenly in the mix for NE Iowa District - and almost no options. Denver to Eagle Grove? North Linn to Ottumwa? ..... Not a lot of options with the 1A district sites.

The one thing that is hard to account for in 1A (And has been an issue for years) - is the fact that the NE Iowa district routinely has 20 full teams, and 150 individuals and the SE and SW have about 12 full teams and about 100 individuals...... quite the disparity when each district gets 3 teams and 10 individuals. Not sure what the solution is, but it is definitely not really an equal field.

Woodward Academy (~115 mi) and Van Meter (100+ mi) had long trips to Ottumwa last year, instead of shorter trips to Marshalltown or Atlantic. I'm guessing there are other examples. Maybe Denver gets sent the ~90 miles to Eagle Grove?

Who else is anxiously awaiting the announcement for where teams will go? I'm especially interested in finding out how the western half of the state shakes out in 3A. A lot of different ways the state could go with sites in Pella, Winterset and Carroll.

I am, though more of a 1A girls slant to my waiting. Eagle Grove could get (man I hope not, but could) 5 ranked teams, maybe 6: Emmetsburg, South Hamilton, Pocahontas, Newman, North Iowa, and Denver. Denver to Jesup, Emmetsburg and North Iowa to Hawarden? I guess we'll see soon.

I doubt that is going to happen. I would be really shocked to see Denver go to Eagle Grove. I suppose it is possible - but Like I said - unlikely.

Plus....even if that happened, there is basically only one highly ranked team in the bunch - Pocahontas.

Jesup will get 3 of the top 6 girls teams almost guaranteed.... plus a couple more, probably 4-5-6-13-14. Same on the boys side would be my guess. with 1-6-10 -11-12.

Not many options this year in 1A though I am afraid with the districts where they are at geographically. Will be interesting to finally know who everyone is competing against though.

So who would you see at Eagle Grove? Pokey, South Hamilton, Newman, and North Iowa (all ranked girls teams)? Emmetsburg west?

Here's my guess, but this is just the 1A girls side, and I'll be honest that I'm completely ignoring the boys side. South Winn and Denver are the only two 1A schools with a ranked team in both.

Jesup gets Central Elkader, North Linn, South Winn, Starmont and Denver.
Eagle Grove gets Pocahontas, South Hamilton, and Newman
Ottumwa gets Pekin, Lynville-Sully, and Durant
Treynor gets Griswold and St. Alberts
Hawarden gets Emmetsburg and North Iowa

The only way to even it out would be to send Pokey west to Treynor and Denver to Eagle Grove. That puts 3 ranked teams in each except two at Hawarden and 4 at Jesup. But that seems unlikely, as there would be some looooooong trips.

I agree Coach
Looking at a map and plotting all 1A teams, it will be difficult to separate the NE ranked teams due to proximity to Jesup. I could see North Butler going to Eagle Grove, but I doubt Denver goes. Where do you see BCLUW going? - they could also possibly be at Jesup - giving Jesup 1-6-8-10-11-12

Personally, I would love to see NL girls go to Pekin - but doubt that happens.

I think I have 2A figured out, but I do so with my bias in place. That said, I know I could separate all 15 boys teams so that there are 3 ranked teams at each of the 5 sites. I think I can do the same for girls, but it is tougher.

I guess I don't have much hope that they are going to look too long and hard at 1A.... I think the geography is prohibitive in moving many teams. I think Jesup gets the 5 ranked girls teams and maybe 5 on the guys side too.

I think Jesup gets Denver, Turkey Valley, South Winn, Bellevue for sure. I think they probably get North Butler - although Eagle Grove is a possibility.. I would hope they would not get BCLUW too..... but, who knows. I am thinking they could get sent to Eagle Grove perhaps.

I would love to see NL girls go to Pekin too - but that is a long way in the other direction from a district that is right up the road for them. I see them at Jesup.

I guess I would be surprised to see them before the end of the day today.... would not even be surprised if it was friday. Suppose it depends a little on how much they already had done before the rankings came out last night.

A good spy never reveals their source!

I know that I will sleep well tonight and not check my laptop every hour.

4A sites (ranked teams only)
Council Bluffs - Dowling, Waukee, Roosevelt
Ankeny Centennial - Ames, Johnston, Valley (Boys), Centennial (Girls)
Marshalltown - Linn-Mar, I.C. West, Urbandale (Girls), Cedar Falls (Boys)
C.R. Kennedy - Dubuque Sr, City High, CR Prairie (Boys), CR Kennedy (Girls)
Pleasant Valley - Pleasant Valley, Bettendorf (Girls), Dubuque Hempstead (Boys), Burlington (Boys), Muscatine (Girls)

Big question marks are Dub Hemp and IC West due to the extra travel. Maybe Prairie goes to PV and Hempstead to Kennedy.

They could also send Roosevelt to Ankeny, Valley/Urbandale to CB, Ames to Marshalltown.

Mr.Sparrow - Thank you, but I must admit that when I read your comment to my wife she laughed at me.

Bummer
Apparently I will never a good spy or wise by any definition.

My refresh button will get a workout today.

Well ... thoughts?

The western half of 3A shaped up about like I thought it would, with the exception of I had Boone and Harlan flip-flopped. Going to be a lot of travel for teams going to Carroll. Six of 12 teams going to Carroll have over a 100-mile trip one way.

1A ended up almost exactly like I thought it probably would. Was not sure if North Butler would go to Eagle or Jesup..... They ended up in Eagle which was good for the boys side of things - cut it to 4 ranked teams.

I did not think they were going to do much with 1A because of the district locations, and that pretty much seemed to be how it shook out.

My biggest complaint - and I don't claim to have an answer - is that in 1A there is a BIG disparity in the # of competitors in each district - and yet, each district has the same number of qualifiers. West Sioux is easily the weakest district with only 3 total ranked teams between boys and girls. They only have 20 schools in their district - while all of the others have 27/28 teams. It is also interesting to see how many "complete" teams each district has. My guess is that a district like jesup will have 50% more runners in it than 1 or two of the other districts - but still gets the same 10 qualifiers. Might have double the full teams of other districts, and still sends 3. Simple odds dictate that 10 out of 80-90 is a whole lot easier than 10 out of 150. And 3 out of 10-12 is a lot easier than 3 out of 20.....

Overall, though, in 1A..... I suppose they could have sent a couple teams from Eagle out to West Sioux, and pulled a couple from Jesup and sent them to Eagle..... Long travel though. However, they sent Janesville to eagle grove and that is only 5 miles from Denver. Could have sent Denver out just as easily ....

Pretty hard with our 1A districts this year - Could be worse, could be better.

Combined girls and boys ranked teams:
Jesup - 9 ranked teams
Eagle - 7 ranked teams
Treynor - 6 ranked teams
Pekin - 5 ranked teams
West Sioux - 3 ranked teams

I know there needs to be someone willing to host the thing, but it seems in 1A like they'd be better off if they didn't have two meets all the way out west. Bring them in a little so it's not such a long trip to send someone out there.

Tough to make everyone happy, but I think they did a decent job geographically and with the ranked teams. I guess we'll see. Really glad I'm not going to Jesup though.

Kind of the nature of things around this area - especially on the girls side of things. I have coached for 20 years, and in that time I can honestly say there has NEVER been a single year where I thought the girls district in our area "caught a break." You better be one of the top 6-8 teams in the state, or you just are not getting out of the 1A/2A NE Iowa district. Simple as that. We have had a lot of "good" girls teams over the years - but we have only had 5-6 girls teams make it to state.

Boys - there are always good teams in the district, but, it always seems like it is rare that a 7-8-9-10 type team gets left out. Same at Jesup this year. Denver is outstanding. Turkey is very good. SW, Elkader, Bellvue are all solid 10-15 type teams. But there will be no "great" team getting left home. Whoever gets the #3 spot deserves it. Whoever misses it..... well, it is not a "travesty."

Should be a good district meet though, and that is always fun. It is the one meet that can still make me nervous after 20 years.

In 3A:

Solon's SQM is high quality for the girls. A very good team or two are going to be disappointed I am afraid.

Waverly's SQM for the boys is very tough. Charles City, Decorah, and Vinton-Shellsburg ranked ... Garner-Hayfield, Dubuque Wahlert and Waverly-Shell Rock are all quality teams as well.

I know individual rankings are not considered (nor perfect) but pretty impression how each SQM has no more than 8 and no less than 5 individually ranked runners. Obviously that is not what will occur at State, but it does show that those ranking individuals are doing a quality job having lots of programs/regions represented which I like to see in the individual rankings.

Dutch-

I agree with your assessment. Personally I think Wahlert gets revenge from last year and knocks Vinton-Shellsburg out of the state picture on the boys side. Solon girls would have to really step things up to beat Mount Vernon, but Xavier will need to prove themselves as well. I only see Assumption as the only safe bet to make it on the girls side at Solon.

The boys team races at Solon and Pella will be interesting too. Xavier, Mount Vernon, and CPU should be locks, but Mount Vernon's lack of a front runner may hurt them. Marion could find a way to sneak by if they all have a good day. CCA needs their #4-5 runners to step up to get into the picture also. At Pella, I see Fort Madison and Grinnell making it out to state. Osky has a decent chance too, but again I think the lack of a front runner will hurt Williamsburg on the boys side. W'burg and Ft. Madison will decide the #3 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT