ADVERTISEMENT

Class A top 10

Grundy Center will be tough as they bring back their qb and some other skill positions. They did lose their rb to graduation. MFL brings back top two rbs. LOMA brings back a ton of impact juniors. They will be a tough out on the western side of the state. HMS was young last year with sophs and juniors contributing.

Not sure what Regina brings back and the fact the Coach Cook is no longer there. I’m sure they’ll reload. Any teams moving down from 1A that will have a say come playoff time?

Any info on traditional class A powers West Hancock, St Ansgar, Wapsie Valley?

Grundy Center will be tough as they bring back their qb and some other skill positions. They did lose their rb to graduation. MFL brings back top two rbs. LOMA brings back a ton of impact juniors. They will be a tough out on the western side of the state. HMS was young last year with sophs and juniors contributing.

Not sure what Regina brings back and the fact the Coach Cook is no longer there. I’m sure they’ll reload. Any teams moving down from 1A that will have a say come playoff time?

Regina moved up to Class 1A.

Reactions: EIHCGuy

Wapsie has a new coach and they lost pretty much all their skill people and a few linemen, St Ansger just seems to reload every year no matter what they lose as they have such a tradition there.

St. Ansgar should have a quality team this fall like always. They did graduate a lot of talent and I am not sure who is going to need to step up this fall, but if the past is any indicator, they will. It is amazing seeing the new faces step in and rarely dropping much, if at all. They did graduate the school career rushing leader this spring. I see them as getting to the last 16 and maybe the quarter finals. I would be somewhat surprised if they get to the semi-finals this year. Although I have said this before and watched St. Ansgar get to the semis with little resistance.

1. Grundy Center- They have to replace talent up front but I think they get back to the dome and win it this year.
2. LoMa- I like what they bring back and have been their before as a program.
3. Newman- They were young last year and still gave St. Ansgar and Wapsie good games, I think they will be a tough out.
4. Lisbon- They have a few questions but the talent is there
5. HMS- Again a young team that had success
6. St. Albert- Good tradtion, will have to rebuild but I expect them to be their in the end
7. Saint Ansgar- They have just such a good program that it is hard to not put them in the top 10
8. West Hancock- They would win many districts but may struggle with their own.
9. Mount Ayr- 1A drop down that returns quite a bit, the new coach does make me nervous though.
10. South Winn- Good program, benefits from a weaker district but still a solid team.

1​
GRUNDY CENTER
2​
SAINT ANSGAR
3​
CB ST ALBERT
4​
MC NEWMAN
5​
LO-MA
6​
LISBON
7​
LAKE MILLS
8​
OAKLAND RIVERSIDE
9​
WEST HANCOCK
10​
SOUTH WINN

Gazette came out with Class A today - Here's their take:

1. Grundy Center
2. Lo-Ma
3. Hartley HMS
T-4 Lisbon
T-4 West Hancock
6. CB St Albert
7. Mason City Newman
8 Mt Ayr
T-9 Oakland Riverside
T-9. Saint Ansgar

Others getting votes: LeMars, AHSTW, SW Valley, Bellevue, Tri-Center, Clayton Ridge, Lake Mills, Ridge View, Belle Plaine, Woodbury Central

I have to agree with them as I have 9 of there top 10, I will say they have South Winn finishing fourth in their district which I don’t see.

I by no means claim to be an expert here, and I have no insight into injuries or anything like that, but just taking a look at teams that were on the cusp last year and have a lot returning ...

Also note, Regina moves up again as does MFL.

1. Grundy Center - clear top favorite
2. Lisbon
3. Mason City Newman
4. West Hancock
5. Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn
6. Logan Magnolia
7. Lake Mills
8. St. Albert
9. Wapello
10. IKM Manning

2 - 6 in any order, 7 - 10 just educated guesses,

Saint Ansgar, Wapsie Valley, South Winn and Alburnett lost a lot to graduation, but traditional powerhouses tend to have athletes that step up. Any one of them could pop into the top 10 at some point.

Forgot about Mt Ayr coming down, I'll replace Wapello with them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT