ADVERTISEMENT

Class A Season Outlook

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
Over the coming days I plan on posting my thoughts on the upcoming season for each of the classes. Class A is probably my favorite most years so I thought that I would start with it. This is just to get a little discussion going, and hear other people’s thoughts.

District 1

Favorite: MMCRU
Top Challenger: Gehlen

I think that MMCRU returns the most from a very solid team, but they do lose a pretty good QB. I think Gehlen is always solid and returns quite a bit from a team that seemed to improve as the season went on. After that I see A-A, A-W and S-O competing for the last 2 playoff spots, A-W lost quite a bit from last year’s district title team.

District 2

Favorite: Saint Ansgar
Top Challenger: West Hancock

I went back and forth for who to make the favorite, I see both of these teams as top 5 teams in the state, Saint maybe returns a little more, but I also think that West Hancock rebuilds year after year. After those two it is Lake Mills, the one question, I have about them is numbers as they didn’t seem to have very many out, and the Bacon kid will be a big loss. For the four spot I would probably go with Newman but it’s a toss-up.

District 3

Favorite: Wapsie Valley
Top Challenger: Nashua Plainfield

This is Wapsie’s district, I think they are a top 5 team in the state and shouldn’t be challenged in the district. After that I put NP as the top challenger, but I think there are 4 teams competing for 3 playoff spots. NP, NB, and SW all lost some important seniors, I think NP probably returns the most experience, although NB, SW, and NT all return their QBs. NT I believe lost by a touchdown or less in 4 games last year, but depth could be a big concern.

District 4

Favorite: Starmont
Top Challenger: Maquoketa Valley

This is a district where I think there are 5 teams competing for 4 playoff spots. I took Starmont as the favorite as I think they return the most, although the King kid that they lost was a great athlete. Maquoketa Valley lost the McShane kid which is a huge loss, but they started a bunch of sophomores last year, that is why I put them at two. East Buc is well coached, but Thurn, Bowers, and Fox powered that team last year. North Linn has been solid the last few years, but I think they take a step back, and Bellevue is always solid.

District 5

Favorite: Lisbon
Top Challenger: Pekin

I think Lisbon is the clear favorite in this district, and should roll to a district title, overall I think the district will be weak again. I put Pekin at 2 I think that they have the most questions answered going into the season for me. I see Columbus taking a step back with Amigon graduating but I still think that they are a playoff team. I would take Danville as a playoff team again, and am interested to see what they do in year to in their return to football.

District 6

Favorite: Madrid
Top Challenger: Mount Ayr

Mount Ayr is kind of the pick of a lot of people I have seen, and I will go with them as well, but I do think that this district is closer then many think. Mount Ayr returns just about everyone off of a very young team and as a program has made the dome in the past so they do have some pedigree and they could very easily jump up and win the district. I still think Lynnville Sully will be decent and a playoff team. For the last spot I see Central Decatur or North Mahaska. North Mahaska has been down for a while but seem to be returning some nice pieces as well.

District 7

Favorite: AC/GC
Top Challenger: Earlham

I think AC/GC is turning themselves into one of the most consistent programs in small school football in Iowa, the question is if they will take another step to the dome this year. Maybe a few questions on defense but I think a clear favorite. I took Earlham second as they are consistent and return quite a bit, but I could see them fall to 3 or 4 as well. After that I think that IKM and Riverside show the most returning so I would take them for the final two spots.

District 8

Favorite: Woodbury Central
Top Challenger: Logan Magnolia

I think that this is Woodbury Central’s district until someone really challenges them. They do lose a great quarterback but I think return enough for a runner up team to be the favorite. I took LoMa second because I think they return enough and are typically solid throughout the years. After that I don’t know who the final two spots will be. Are KP-RV going together after this year? If not, I could see that being a problem. Westwood, Tri Center and even Saint Albert could contend for playoff spots.

My Top 10

1. Saint Ansgar
2. AC/GC
3. Wapsie Valley
4. West Hancock
5. Woodbury Central
6. Madrid
7. MMCRU
8. Lisbon
9. Starmont
10. Mount Ayr

There is always a gap between the haves and have nots in Class A, but I think there is going to be more parity amongst the top teams this year.

Over the coming days I plan on posting my thoughts on the upcoming season for each of the classes. Class A is probably my favorite most years so I thought that I would start with it. This is just to get a little discussion going, and hear other people’s thoughts.

District 1

Favorite: MMCRU
Top Challenger: Gehlen

I think that MMCRU returns the most from a very solid team, but they do lose a pretty good QB. I think Gehlen is always solid and returns quite a bit from a team that seemed to improve as the season went on. After that I see A-A, A-W and S-O competing for the last 2 playoff spots, A-W lost quite a bit from last year’s district title team.

District 2

Favorite: Saint Ansgar
Top Challenger: West Hancock

I went back and forth for who to make the favorite, I see both of these teams as top 5 teams in the state, Saint maybe returns a little more, but I also think that West Hancock rebuilds year after year. After those two it is Lake Mills, the one question, I have about them is numbers as they didn’t seem to have very many out, and the Bacon kid will be a big loss. For the four spot I would probably go with Newman but it’s a toss-up. St Anger loses top 3 rbs, top TE/WR and 8 of their top 9 tacklers on D but yes I still think it is a 2 team race

District 3

Favorite: Wapsie Valley
Top Challenger: Nashua Plainfield

This is Wapsie’s district, I think they are a top 5 team in the state and shouldn’t be challenged in the district. After that I put NP as the top challenger, but I think there are 4 teams competing for 3 playoff spots. NP, NB, and SW all lost some important seniors, I think NP probably returns the most experience, although NB, SW, and NT all return their QBs. NT I believe lost by a touchdown or less in 4 games last year, but depth could be a big concern. Wapsie loses a stud rb that had over a 1000 yds but return 3 others that combined for a 1000 yds. they do lose 2 receivers that have most of their catches. They lost some guys up front but overall this is probably a top 3 team returning in the state as they will for the most part be senior dominated. The rest of this district is up for grabs as new coach at NP.

District 4

Favorite: Starmont
Top Challenger: Maquoketa Valley

This is a district where I think there are 5 teams competing for 4 playoff spots. I took Starmont as the favorite as I think they return the most, although the King kid that they lost was a great athlete. Maquoketa Valley lost the McShane kid which is a huge loss, but they started a bunch of sophomores last year, that is why I put them at two. East Buc is well coached, but Thurn, Bowers, and Fox powered that team last year. North Linn has been solid the last few years, but I think they take a step back, and Bellevue is always solid. This district every team seemed to lose some big time players but I think overall it is still the deepest district in the state. Starmont probably the early favorite but they lost some good guys up front on both sides of the ball and the King kid. I then think it is a 4 team race with MV, EB, NL and Bellevue for the other 3 spots. MV witch will have a new coach lost Mcshane a 2000 yd rusher and was basically their offense but probably just as big a loss is Salow who achord both side of the ball up front and had 80 tackles. EB lost some horse in Fox who is now at Iowa and Thurn but on defense they return most of their leading tacklers minus the 2 previously mentioned as they played a lot of young guys last year. Nl loses a lot of their skill kids and top tacklers on defense but they always seem to be in the mix.

District 5

Favorite: Lisbon
Top Challenger: Pekin

I think Lisbon is the clear favorite in this district, and should roll to a district title, overall I think the district will be weak again. I put Pekin at 2 I think that they have the most questions answered going into the season for me. I see Columbus taking a step back with Amigon graduating but I still think that they are a playoff team. I would take Danville as a playoff team again, and am interested to see what they do in year to in their return to football. Still probably the weakest district in the state but it is still Lisbons district and I think CJ still is big up front to move people to come in as the RU. The rest you can draw out of the hat.

District 6

Favorite: Madrid
Top Challenger: Mount Ayr

Mount Ayr is kind of the pick of a lot of people I have seen, and I will go with them as well, but I do think that this district is closer then many think. Mount Ayr returns just about everyone off of a very young team and as a program has made the dome in the past so they do have some pedigree and they could very easily jump up and win the district. I still think Lynnville Sully will be decent and a playoff team. For the last spot I see Central Decatur or North Mahaska. North Mahaska has been down for a while but seem to be returning some nice pieces as well.

District 7

Favorite: AC/GC
Top Challenger: Earlham

I think AC/GC is turning themselves into one of the most consistent programs in small school football in Iowa, the question is if they will take another step to the dome this year. Maybe a few questions on defense but I think a clear favorite. I took Earlham second as they are consistent and return quite a bit, but I could see them fall to 3 or 4 as well. After that I think that IKM and Riverside show the most returning so I would take them for the final two spots. AC/DC is my favorite to contend for the A title thats all im going to say

District 8

Favorite: Woodbury Central
Top Challenger: Logan Magnolia

I think that this is Woodbury Central’s district until someone really challenges them. They do lose a great quarterback but I think return enough for a runner up team to be the favorite. I took LoMa second because I think they return enough and are typically solid throughout the years. After that I don’t know who the final two spots will be. Are KP-RV going together after this year? If not, I could see that being a problem. Westwood, Tri Center and even Saint Albert could contend for playoff spots. Same two teams battle it out every year as two totally opposite teams in style but this year im going to give the edge to LM as Woodburry has to replace a record setting QB.

My Top 10

1. Saint Ansgar ACGC
2. AC/GC WAPSIE
3. Wapsie Valley, STARMONT
4. West Hancock
5. Woodbury Central
6. Madrid
7. MMCRU
8. Lisbon
9. Starmont
10. Mount Ayr

There is always a gap between the haves and have nots in Class A, but I think there is going to be more parity amongst the top teams this year.

Changing of the guard type of year. Madrid still has their QB but lost some key players. BWH lost a lot of Smiths. EB will be better than some think even though Fox gone. Will see if Starmont can reload what they lost. SA may be down a notch but still a factor. Same for Lisbon. ACGC is building a good program overall and as stated may be building a reputation as most consistent program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT