ADVERTISEMENT

Class 5A Basketball

RamBling

Freshman
Jul 30, 2008
Curious if there are any 5A fans/boosters/parents out there? Specifically looking for East and (Far) West input - who are the studs and sleepers? I have heard that Iowa City West will be good, City High will reload, and CR Kennedy and Jefferson will be tough - others? How about the SC schools?

The CIML will be brutal and there will be 5 or 6 loss teams that will be tough come tournament time. Dowling is at the top of the list going in, but Waukee, Valley, SEP, Johnston and Ankeny Centennial will all be good/great, with Mason City, Roosevelt and Ames able to pick off anybody on a given night.

Appreciate any input!

Lawton-Bronson just beat SC West last Tuesday by 10. Heelan should give 4A a run but the rest of Sioux City will be average to above average.

Mason City is really lacking some depth from what I've heard from people who have seen them at scrimmages. I would think in 5A that would really hurt you. I assume Curt is still coaching up there, and if that's the case, then they'll get if figured out- he does a great job.

Thanks Dogg - had no clue about the west. Wade - I know MC has Mackenzie Meyers (U of I recruit) and stayed with #5 IC West the other night, but agree, a supporting cast and depth will be critical to make a run.

Dowling made short work of IC High last night, but it was my understanding the Courtney Joens DNP (Flu?) - while she would not have made a difference in the outcome, it definitely would have changed the complexion of the game.

From what I have seen, the Mississippi Valley is down from what they usually are. There were a lot of great players in that league who graduated. I don't think there is a single great team in that league and I have seen a lot of the teams in the summer and fall. Nothing really there or in the east to challenge the top Des Moines schools this year. The best teams in the MAC are all 4A schools.

Thanks Tom - agree on the MAC - North Scott s/be the favorite there - although Muscatine may surprise (Graettinger makes them always dangerous).

Early indications (IMO) would have IC West and CR Jefferson as the top teams in the MVC, but Kennedy and even Linn-Mar could surprise.

I know Johnston and Dowling have already played some "East-West' games, DSM Valley vs. CR Jefferson, Ankeny Centennial vs. Linn-Mar, Ames vs. CR Kennedy and DSM Valley vs IC West in January should tell us a lot about the balance of power as well.

Originally posted by RamBling:

Thanks Tom - agree on the MAC - North Scott s/be the favorite there - although Muscatine may surprise (Graettinger makes them always dangerous).

Early indications (IMO) would have IC West and CR Jefferson as the top teams in the MVC, but Kennedy and even Linn-Mar could surprise.

I know Johnston and Dowling have already played some "East-West' games, DSM Valley vs. CR Jefferson, Ankeny Centennial vs. Linn-Mar, Ames vs. CR Kennedy and DSM Valley vs IC West in January should tell us a lot about the balance of power as well.
Watch out for Davenport North and Davenport West from the MAC. Lots of young talent on those two teams. High and Mid-major recruitable talent. North lost on a buzzer beater to IC West this summer, and beat Kennedy fairly handily...both games at Cornell. North beat Lin-Mar at Wartburg. I think both of those Davenport teams are better than Muscatine, but you are spot on about Graettinger.

Harlan had a great win the other night against Dowling, a matchup between the 4A and 5A champs.

Edit to say I know North is in class 4A.
This post was edited on 12/4 10:58 AM by Tom Paris

I read in the Fort Dodge messenger the other day that the dodgers lost to Waukee and it was a freshman post that they could not stop. Fairly impressive to be a freshman at Waukee and being that good. Anybody seen this young lady play?

Actually that was Indianola Wade - Grace Berg, freshman - dropped 29 points on the Dodgers. Has been to the free throw line a freakish 28 times in 3 games. Will see her in action tonight and be able to give you a better indication afterwards.

Wade - saw Berg in action Friday night vs SEP - very active, carries herself well for only a freshman. Polk threw a lot of different looks at her and she did not look dazed at all - she was held to 6 pts, but only had 3 attempts from the floor. Can she how she gets to the line so frequently (had 8 attempts against SEP), does a great job of cutting and getting involved. Heard she is now with the Attack program - which will only continue to improve and round out her game. Will be a force in the CIML.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT