ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A

The same could be true for Humboldt if they beat Webster City this week. They would go from being a bubble team to winning their district and getting a home playoff game.

Benton is another bubble team that could stage a big upset this week over Williamsburg. Some fun games to watch with big playoff ramifications.

With that loss, Wahlert is statistically out of the playoffs too.

So here is how I see it

District 1
Sioux Center and Heelan/MOC FV
If Heelan wins MOC doesn't make it, but Heelan still has a good chance with a loss

District 2
Clear Lake, Humboldt, and Webster City should all be safely in, Algona vs HD-CAL is for a playoff spot

District 3
West Delaware should be the champ, although they are goofy enough that I won't say they win for sure
Indee will be the #2

District 4
Mount Vernon is the Champ Assumption is the #2
Fort Madison has a chance it could come down to some games of opponents of opponents

District 5
Solon is the champ
Williamsburg is safely in, playing for a home playoff game
Benton is in with a win, out with a loss
Grinnell is out with a loss, probably in with a win, but it could come down to them and Fort Madison with games of opponents of opponents because they are close

District 6
Creston is #1
Nevada is #2
Harlan is #3 and in

This is my predicition

Creston vs Heelan
Sioux Center vs Algona

Solon vs Nevada
West Delaware vs Humboldt

Williamsburg vs Assumption
Clear Lake vs Independence

Mount Vernon vs Grinnell
Webster City vs Harlan

So here is how I see it

District 1
Sioux Center and Heelan/MOC FV
If Heelan wins MOC doesn't make it, but Heelan still has a good chance with a loss

District 2
Clear Lake, Humboldt, and Webster City should all be safely in, Algona vs HD-CAL is for a playoff spot

District 3
West Delaware should be the champ, although they are goofy enough that I won't say they win for sure
Indee will be the #2

District 4
Mount Vernon is the Champ Assumption is the #2
Fort Madison has a chance it could come down to some games of opponents of opponents

District 5
Solon is the champ
Williamsburg is safely in, playing for a home playoff game
Benton is in with a win, out with a loss
Grinnell is out with a loss, probably in with a win, but it could come down to them and Fort Madison with games of opponents of opponents because they are close

District 6
Creston is #1
Nevada is #2
Harlan is #3 and in

This is my predicition

Creston vs Heelan
Sioux Center vs Algona

Solon vs Nevada
West Delaware vs Humboldt

Williamsburg vs Assumption
Clear Lake vs Independence

Mount Vernon vs Grinnell
Webster City vs Harlan
Thks for info pnation..interesting

Reactions: Juice Boy
tonight, harlan,s captains came out tonight on field, 6-6 235lb ot/de franz reisz is still on crutches, and still has cast on foot...so he is definitely playing checkers for the remainder of the season....#14 sears did not have crutches on tonight, and seem to be walking ok, so its probable he may be back soon, hopefully....these 2 players are 2 of the arguably best on the team...it looked like 2 other players were in street clothes, and not sure who eles is still missing...injuries hit the cyclones at the worse time of year,,but that is football...that creston game caused most of the injuries collected by the cyclones

Hopefully the cyclones make the playoffs, wonder if they are not on the edge of making it..

sioux city heelan has got to be my vote for most improved team this year,,,,what a turn-around.

Last edited:
Looks like some good games in the first round

CLASS 3A​

POD A ....WINNERS

Harlan Community (6-3) at Creston (9-0) .... Creston

Nevada (7-2) at Webster City (7-2) .... Nevada

POD B

Fort Madison (6-3) at Solon (8-1) .... Solon

Assumption, Davenport (7-2) at West Delaware (6-3) ....Assumption

POD C

Humboldt (5-4) at Williamsburg (8-1) ....Williamsburg

Independence (7-2) at Mount Vernon (8-1) ....Mount Vernon

POD D

Algona (6-3) at Sioux Center (8-1) ....Sioux Center

Bishop Heelan, Sioux City (8-1) at Clear Lake (8-1) ....Clear Lake

how can harlan end up playing #1 creston being the 14th seed........i bet is creston will be one final team. not sure who will emerge in the east

Last edited:
how can harlan end up playing #1 creston being the 14th seed........i bet is creston will be one final team. not sure who will emerge in the east
Yeah, that matchup stinks. I thought Humboldt would be coming over to Creston round one.

Avoid rematches? I thought they tried to avoid rematches in first round games at least, Creston could make the dome and not play anyone out of their district till the semi-final, if they beat Harlan and if Nevada beats WC and then lose to Creston in second round.

I will go with

Creston, although you never can count Harlan out
Webster City, I think this is a really intersting matchup, Webster City has looked like the best team in the state in some games and like a JV team in others
Solon, I don't think this will be particularly close
West Delaware, if I knew which West Delaware team will show up I would be more confident in that pick
Williamsburg, although Humboldt is capable of pulling the upset here
Mount Vernon, Indee has a good program but I think MV is just too much here
Sioux Center, I don't know much about Sioux Center going off of results, Algona does have play makers so it could be a exciting game
Clear Lake, on paper it looks like a pretty even game I think the long trip plays a part.

Overall I think 3A is pretty balanced which should lead to a bunch of good games throughout the playoffs.

Reactions: JB Football
harlan is at not at full strength, too many injuries....maybe they have a chance with creston if all healthy, but they are not....u can see a drop in the teams performance since the injuries., nevada was a example

I think Assumption and Nevada both pull off the upsets convincingly. Assumption is simply too fast with too many playmakers for WD to slow down. Nevada runs a disciplined 4-4 defense that should play well against the spinnerback offense of Webster City. They struggled against Creston's passing attack, but shouldn't have that issue Friday.

IMO Heelan and Algona both have legitimate shots to pull out the wins too if the ball bounces right for them. Algona has gotten away from the passing game a bit lately, but will need it against a strong Sioux Center defense. Heelan should be in the game in the 4th quarter as Clear Lake had 1 score games against both Algona and Webster City.

Harlan simply has too many injuries to critical players to make this rematch with Creston as good as the first one.
Humboldt is a huge anomaly to me. Not sure which team will show up. Williamsburg has been struggling with injuries to Cockrell over the last few weeks and Weisskopf hurt his knee in the 1st quarter this past week, but they both finished the game Friday. Either one of them being out changes their offense quite a bit.

My guess is that Solon and MV both have a running clock by the 4th quarter.

Reactions: JB Football
Second season starts tonight, looks like cold and wet conditions. Anybody maybe loose some of their advantage with this weather?

Second season starts tonight, looks like cold and wet conditions. Anybody maybe loose some of their advantage with this weather?
This will definitely work to Webster City’s advantage against Nevada.

Everyone’s talked about Nevada’s balance on offense, but the speed of the Webster City defense has thwarted some really good offenses.

congrats to creston , they were too much for the cyclones this year. creston has a talented group this year, strong offense and defense.......not sure if they will win it all...but i suspect they will be in the finals, shock me of they are not...
harlan returns 7 starters from this creston game on offense, 5 jrs, freshman and a soph...noah smitz was list sr starter at running back, but lucas francis played the majority of the game,,,he is a jr he is a speedster, and appears better than starter smtiz,............so u might say harlan returns 8.....

on defense, harlan returns 9, with a freshan and soph starter, and 7 jrs.....

a young bladt is playing now, and will be a jr.....so the future looks good for the cyclones

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Town Card
I live right down the road from heelan and have watched them alot. There game against sioux center should be a good one, but heelan will be too much for them. Heelan qb is really good and a big kid. heelan 28-14

There are definitely going to be some good games this week. BC Moore has Creston v Webster City as a coin flip. Mt Vernon v Williamsburg is basically the same thing. Sioux Center has a slight advantage over Heelan, and Solon West Delaware is an 8 pt spread. I probably shouldn't make any picks as I missed on both of my upset picks last week, but I think there will be at least 1 big upset this Friday to shake it all up.

I live right down the road from heelan and have watched them alot. There game against sioux center should be a good one, but heelan will be too much for them. Heelan qb is really good and a big kid. heelan 28-14
heelan has to be the biggest turn around of any team in the state...in my book anyhow...coach must be doing something right

Webster City with the upset over Creston

Solon over West Delaware

Mount Vernon over Williamsburg

Sioux Center over Heelan

What's changed since Sioux Center beat Heelan 21-0 earlier this season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT