ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A

the 3a teams will have a better opportunaty to knock harlan off this year, the cyclones will be a shell of what they were in the last 2 years. harlan lost 20 seniors, and they were a very talented group. i am not sure what the top 3a teams have coming back this year? harlan was blessed to drop a class, its elminated allmost all of their tough competition they have had in the past years in the playoffs....seems allmost unfair to have harlan in 3a

Williamsburg opens with West Branch and then Xavier, tough games rite out the shut, could prove a lot! Harlan has LC first game, their only loss the last couple of years to them last year. It would be nice to see both of these teams win these big early games against highly rated teams in their respective classes.

Harlan @ Creston this Friday, any thoughts on this one? Huge game in district play and playoff advantage. I think Creston will have Harlans number in this one.

the game is at creston with a expected large crowd , and it will be homecoming for the panthers.. turner has 1200 yds passing for the panthers vs cyclone arkfelt with 850yds. my gut instinct that it will come down to how good crestons secondary is, and can they shut down the cyclone passing game and sears. it should be a battle, and a turnover might win it.

cal preps-
creston 35
harlan 31

creston can thk the refs for that win...harlan stopped creston at the cyclone 30 yrd line o 4th down, but the refs said harlan player was rough taclking out of bounds....it was wrong call, and lead to 7 pts for creston......at the end of game......harlan was at the crestons 20 yd line with 5 seconds left... but could not convert 4th ndown..harlan for the most part controlled the 2nd half..but the damage was done in the first half...i got to give crestons defense credit though for playing tough defense , they stopped 3 harlan drives in the 2nd half , but penalities from the cyclone helped stopped all 3 of them, mostly holding calls ...harlan had a ton of penalities...not sure if the refs were part of it....

Last edited:
Biggest games in 3A tonight, any others? Rankings are max preps.

5 Assumption 4-1 vs. 9 Mt. Vernon 4-1
6 Clear Lake 5-0 vs. 13 Algona 4-1
7 Solon 4-1 vs. 16 Benton 4-1

Last edited:
solon 16 benton 13
clear lake 29 algona 28
mount vernon 24 assumption 7

is mount vernon the team that will be in the finals at the dome????????

if creston and mt vernon are in the finals...cal preps matchup

creston 31
mt vernon 21

I believe that no.3 Williamsburg will be in the finals and play no.1 Creston. Rankings are Bound power rankings

Last edited:
no.3 Williamsburg @ no.6 Solon will be a good game with big post season implications as well, so will the no.8 Harlan @ no.14 Nevada game.

I was at the Assumption game against Mt Vernon. If I heard correctly, Assumption had 3 yds of offense at halftime. I thought Angelo Jackson, who was the #1 all purpose RB in 3A entering the game would give MV's defense fits as he has all season, but the simply shut him down. I don't think he even had 30 yards on the whole game. I have to say I was impressed with MV. They dominated the whole game and could have put in another TD late, but chose to run out the clock inside the 10 yd line. They looked better than I thought they would.

I'm going to try to attend the Solon v Williamsburg game because I think JB might be right. That will have huge playoff implications for homefield throughout the playoffs. I've been told that Solon has completely changed their offense from the beginning of the year which has been a huge part of their success since the first few games. They looked really bad against Assumption week 1. We'll see how much they've improved.

the east is sort of strange, on any given night....i see 4 or 5 teams that make the finals, i dont see a standout completely dominate team.

Solon vs Williamsburg will tell us a lot, I think Williamsburg is a step ahead of everyone else, but we will see. If the WaMaC had to play conference football in 3A it would be a bigger blood bath then it already is with district football.

williamsburg beat xavier,,but xavier had allmost double the yardage, dont see how williamsburg won that, but xavier is 4a.....williamsburg does seem to have a nice team, i might have to give them the nod over solon. solon lost some respect losing to assumption
call preps--
williamsburg 31
solon 28

I'm not sold on Williamsburg as being the top of the class yet. For one, Xavier is down slightly this year compared to past ones. And in that game, I would argue that Xavier beat themselves with giving short fields & turnovers. And that is the only team of note that Williamsburg has beaten this year. Other than that, no one on their schedule so far is even a playoff team except West Branch, who's 2 classes lower than them and honestly struggled early in the year until they switched QBs. The Solon & Benton games will be the two teams that will show how good Williamsburg actually is. I wouldn't be surprised to see Solon beat them and possibly even Benton as well. I think they'll struggle with Benton's massive DL.

Harlan plays Nevada 5-1 and harlan must win th stay alive for a playoff spot...I would be very surprised to see Nevada win....I see a creston vs harlan rematch down the road,,,if they do play again,,,be a good game against 2 evenly Matched teams

Rumer has it that Harlan has some injuries to more than one key player, not saying the names I heard as I dont know for sure but could be a major issue for the Cyclones.

agree...harlan does not have great depth in some positions.. in the creston game....harlan actually outgained creston by 100 yds, so it was not creston blew them off the field....the cyclones defense is tough, will keep them in games. no doubt that nevada has a decent team

Last edited:
jb...u catch who was hurt for the cyclones...look like starters.......sears...their best player...i believe he was one, not sure though..i did not see his number in game

Last edited:
what a dominace performance against harlan by nevada....harlan had no answer to their offense, and the cubs defense played tough too.....nevada looked like the best team by far that the cyclones faced this year...not much more i can say....this game probably closed the door on cyclones going to the playoffs

Nevada up 32-7 on Harlan after 3.

Cyclones are probably going to have to win out (6-3) to even have a chance at the postseason.

probably going to be creston and nevada moving on..i dont see any way the cyclones will make it.....ok...maybe at large chance...i quess they are not completely out of it

Last edited:
Solon won last night against Williamsburg even with their first 4 drives being a muffed punt, blocked punt, another muffed punt, and a shanked punt out at their own 32 yd line. Williamsburg couldn't run the ball at all. And it seemed like their only passing game desire was to take deep shots. Once Cockrell left the game, Weisskopf was a huge dropoff at QB. Good athlete, but definitely not a QB.

Solon is now a lock to be a top 4 team with homefield advantage through the playoffs.

I still think Harlan makes the playoffs as an RPI At Large. They'll be 6-3 and will likely be ranked around 12-14 at the end of things. A lot of top 15 teams still have to play each other.

Solon won last night against Williamsburg even with their first 4 drives being a muffed punt, blocked punt, another muffed punt, and a shanked punt out at their own 32 yd line. Williamsburg couldn't run the ball at all. And it seemed like their only passing game desire was to take deep shots. Once Cockrell left the game, Weisskopf was a huge dropoff at QB. Good athlete, but definitely not a QB.

Solon is now a lock to be a top 4 team with homefield advantage through the playoffs.

I still think Harlan makes the playoffs as an RPI At Large. They'll be 6-3 and will likely be ranked around 12-14 at the end of things. A lot of top 15 teams still have to play each other.
i agree....2 teams with 3 loses like harlan, play teams that they will probably lose to..almost certain...harlan had 2 of their best players hurt last week against neveda, but neveda made harlan look so bad..i could not believe it

no.3 Williamsburg @ no.6 Solon will be a good game with big post season implications as well, so will the no.8 Harlan @ no.14 Nevada game.
i foun
Rumer has it that Harlan has some injuries to more than one key player, not saying the names I heard as I dont know for sure but could be a major issue for the Cyclones.
jb,,,u were correct....2 of the best players that came out on field for coin toss, sear and reitz, were on crutches....who knows when they will come back...and friday night, reitz brother left game holding his shoulder....also, bladt stated other starters did not play , injuries, but did not elaborate on it....i quess bladt had to move players around, and explained its hard to be at the level there were at with all the suffling of players....bladt is hoping for the return of players soon

I sat down and tried to project who will be in with the remaining game. And it's not an easy task with how District 2 is, I don't think they will get 5 in but 4 is a possibility. I am also not sure on the answer to this question but if in that district HD-Cal finishes with a higher RPI then Humboldt but Humboldt finishes ahead of them in the standings who gets in? I am going with the higher RPI here.

District Champs
Sioux Center
Clear Lake
Indee
Mount Vernon
Solon
Nevada

Other 2 hosting teams
Williamsburg
Creston

Other Runners Up
Heelan
Wahlert
Assumption
Webster City

At Large
Algona
HD-CAL
Harlan
Fort Madison

Pairings
Clear Lake vs Heelan
Independence vs Webster City

Solon vs Fort Madison
Mount Vernon vs Wahlert

Williamsburg vs Assumption
Nevada vs Algona

Sioux Center vs Harlan
Creston vs HD-CAL

I am also not sure on the answer to this question but if in that district HD-Cal finishes with a higher RPI then Humboldt but Humboldt finishes ahead of them in the standings who gets in? I am going with the higher RPI here.

The at-large teams are strictly RPI, unless 17 beat 16 head-to-head.

Here's my guess at qualifiers/final RPI. The key is that it all comes down to strength of schedule. only 37.5% of the RPI comes from a team's record. The rest is your opponents' records(37.5%), and your opponents' opponents' records (25%).

Team - Predicted Record - Final 2 Opponents
1. Clear Lake - 9-0 - Humboldt, Charles City
2. Solon - 8-1 - Fairfield, S Tama
3. Nevada - 8-1 - Creston, Atlantic (I think Nevada beats Creston this week. If not, Nevada is #9)
4. Mount Vernon - 8-1 - Washington, Keokuk
5. Creston - 8-1 - Nevada, Perry (They would stay #1 with a win over Nevada)
6. Sioux Center - 8-1 - Carroll, Sargent Bluff Luton
7. Independence - 8-1 - West Delaware, CPU
8. Algona - 7-2 - Webster City, Hampton Dumont
9. Williamsburg - 7-2 - Grinnell, Benton (Losing their QB (Cockrell changes their offense as Solon showed. I think they lose to Benton which has a big O/D Line that can control the LOS and who will need to win out in order to make the playoffs.)
10. Davenport Assumption - 7-2 - Keokuk, Mt Pleasant
11. Harlan - 6-3 - Atlantic, Knoxville
12. Humboldt - 5-4 - Clear Lake, Webster City
13. Sioux City Heelan - 7-2 - Sargent Bluff Luton, MOCFV
14. Benton - 6-3 - S Tama, Williamsburg (Predicting a big upset)
15. Dubuque Wahlert - 6-3 - DeWitt, Maquoketa
16. Grinnell - 6-3 - Williamsburg, Fairfield

As far as brackets & pairings go, who the heck knows what the boys in Boone will do. Throw darts and you'll probably be closer than guessing. They said last year that they don't want rematches from the season, but there were quite a few last year. Each of the top 4 get their own bracket with 5-8 being distributed as close as possible to their reciprocal ranked opponent. 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5. But they also take geography into account as they try not to make teams travel across the state. They pretty much stayed in quadrants last year.

i foun

jb,,,u were correct....2 of the best players that came out on field for coin toss, sear and reitz, were on crutches....who knows when they will come back...and friday night, reitz brother left game holding his shoulder....also, bladt stated other starters did not play , injuries, but did not elaborate on it....i quess bladt had to move players around, and explained its hard to be at the level there were at with all the suffling of players....bladt is hoping for the return of players soon
yes both Reisz brothers out, Sears also out doesnt leave much on the shelf for thin Harlan team. Looked like some OL guys out and some playing hurt. If they can win the last 2 games without them and get them back in 3 weeks for a possible playoff run mabe a chance, but looked like a cast on Frans Reisz foot and a boot on sears. They might be done for the season. I think Creston will win the district over Nevada, Nevada beat a weakened Harlan team that on video looked to have no fire to them, and Creston beat them at the top of their game. It will be a good one Friday either way. Might have to make the trip to see this one.

Where does Ft Madison end up if they finish 6-3...which is likely? I would assume hey would bump that last district 2 team...That plays a huge role in where teams would go as you would take a team from NW Iowa and replace them with the most SE team there is!

That is what I predicted with Fort Madison. I think they actually bump Grinnell as well which still has Williamsburg, who is still tough despite the injuries.

Webster City/Algona Winner is Runner up
Webster City/Algona loser is at Large (assuming WC also beats Humboldt week 9)
Cal prep predictions suggest Grinell, Harlan, Ft Madison as 14/15/16

Teams that could still sneak in though
Hampton
West Delaware
and even MOC
Benton and Humboldt also still alive...

This week will be telling!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JB Football
If Im not mistake I think that several of these games are on grass tonight too....If everyone got the rain we did in NW Iowa it will be a sloppy mess!
Are these all still grass fields?
MOC @ BHRV
Algona @ WC
Charles City @ HD CAL
Clear Lake @ Humboldt
Indy @ West Delaware

Where does Ft Madison end up if they finish 6-3...which is likely? I would assume hey would bump that last district 2 team...That plays a huge role in where teams would go as you would take a team from NW Iowa and replace them with the most SE team there is!
I think Ft Madison just barely misses the playoffs with an RPI of 17-18 because of their Strength of Schedule being so weak. But they can still make it if they get some help. They need Webster City to lose both of their last two and Williamsburg has to beat Benton or they have no chance. But even then they need some of their non-district opponents to win a few games to help their SOS, which is highly unlikely (Burlington, Fairfield, Centerville, Williamsburg). And even then, it's going to be close with their RPI compared to Grinnell, Hampton Dumont CAL, and Webster City.

With Dubuque Wahlert getting beat last night West Delaware went from maybe getting in the playoffs to now more than likley winning the district as they hold the head to head win vs Indee from last friday night. Talk about a turn of events.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT