ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2A Season Outlook

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
Here are my thoughts on the upcoming season in 2A, the western part of the state is clearly the stronger half of the state. If the state is truly going to get the top 4 teams to the dome their will be some travel in the playoffs.

District 1

Favorite: West Lyon
Top Challenger: Western Christian

This is a district that has three big dogs in it and I expect that to continue this year. Looking at the top 3 teams, I like what West Lyon has coming back the most. I feel like Western Christian has enough coming back to take a step forward, and CL-GLR has the most questions, do I still think they could be a top 10 team absolutely but right now I think they are behind the other two. I think Cherokee is the final playoff qualifier but Unity Christian should be improved as well.

District 2

Favorite: Spirit Lake
Top Challenger: ELC

Spirit Lake is probably the biggest favorite of any district in 2A. They return a bunch from a very good team last year. I put ELC second, even though the lost some important pieces, I felt like they were a clear #2 in this district last year, and I don’t know if any of the remaining teams can catch them. I would say that Okoboji should be a playoff team and I would put them at #3 and I like Forest City for the #4 spot.

District 3

Favorite: Waukon
Top Challenger: Osage

I really thought that this would be a very good district last year, and while it was competitive all of the teams were kind of mediocre. I think Waukon should be the favorite with what they have coming back, and I think their coaching staff has shown that they know what they are doing. After that I took Osage, but I think Crestwood and NFV are pretty close. I like the Street kid that I would assume will be QB for Osage, and hopefully in year 2 of the coaching staff they take that step forward. Like I said I like what Crestwood and NFV have coming back to be the other two playoff teams.

District 4

Favorite: Northeast Goose Lake
Top Challenger: Anamosa

I will be honest I didn’t know what to do with this district. Overall I don’t see it as being very strong but could be competitive. I took Northeast because of what they bring back, and they were a playoff team last year. It is the same story for Anamosa, they bring back quite a bit from a playoff team, I almost took them as the favorite, but since Northeast won head to head I took them. I don’t know what to do with Monticello, it would not surprise me to see them win the district as I think they are the most consistent program in the district, but they also lose just about everything, I still think they are a playoff team but take a step back. For the fourth spot I’m going to take West Liberty with a bunch of kids who played last year returning and a new coaching staff.

District 5

Favorite: Mid Prairie
Top Challenger: Mediapolis

This is another district that on paper isn’t the strongest. I think Mid Prairie is a school with a pretty good tradition of success and bring back quite a bit from a team that made the round of 16, so I think they are my favorite. I took Mediapolis second just because I trust the program and coaching staff to make the team be successful. They do lose quite a bit, but I think that they will be there in the end. For the last two spots on paper it looks like it should be Albia and Davis County with what they bring back, but I don’t think West Burlington and Central Lee are that far behind them.

District 6

Favorite: PCM
Top Challenger: Union

PCM is a clear favorite in the district and I think might challenge for a state title this year. I like what they bring back from a very good team last year that seemed to get better as the season went on, and they have a solid coaching staff. I took Union as the top challenger because they seemed to hit a hot streak late in the season and were relatively young. I will say I do think that Jesup is still a playoff team and could finish second again as well. As for the 4th spot I will take West Marshall just because I think as a program they are always there.

District 7

Favorite: Van Meter
Top Challenger: Clarinda

Van Meter on paper looks like they lose everything, however at this point it is almost a certainty that they will just rebuild and be a state title contender. I do think Clarinda is a top 10 type team this year, but they were just so far behind Van Meter last year that I don’t know if they can catch them even though they bring back a bunch. After those two I could see any of the other four teams make the playoffs, I will take Clarke and Centerville just based on what they bring back.

District 8

Favorite: Kuemper
Top Challenger: Roland Story

To me this is a close district race. I took Kuemper because they won it last year and return enough that I think that they stay ahead of Roland Story. With that being said I think R-S could step ahead of them and it wouldn’t surprise me. After that I think Southeast Valley will be solid and could very easily challenge the other two teams ahead of them. I would take DSM Christian for the fourth spot bu they will have some questions.

My Top 10

1. Spirit Lake
2. Van Meter
3. PCM
4. West Lyon
5. Western Christian
6. Kuemper
7. Clarinda
8. Mid Prairie
9. CL-GLR
10. Roland Story

Reactions: Pinehawk
thks for info, same familiar power houses from last yr repeat...van meter and central lyon , west lyon and spirit lake were tough foes last year...also some other teams not bad either...i suspect these teams will be in the mix this year again..i can remember central lyon back in the 70 and 80s...had some very dominate teams. ......what are ur thoughts on 3a this coming year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT