ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2A District Playoff Pairings

Didn't I say something earlier about poky not deserving the 1 seed. LOL. Get beat by 23 at home. That's why strength of schedule is a big deal IMO.

Reactions: HawkI8387
... Now having said that, I cheer for the Minnesota Vikings, and anyone who plays western Christian. :). (All in competitive love VanDer hoops)
No problem.
This board is a lot more interesting with some friendly trash-talking.

The double-header at Western went as expected. An ugly slugfest between West Lyon and Rock Valley & an easy cruise for Western.

WL jumped to an early lead and RV shot terribly from behind the arc and at the line all night. Real physical play on both sides and a LOT of fouls were called. WL went scoreless for about 8 minutes and let RV back in the game at the half. Poor shooting on both sides. Seems like neither teams has more than 2 guys that want to shoot.
Highlights for me were:
-Seeing senior Kendrick Van Kekerix from RV get his first minutes of the year (broke his leg in the dome during FB playoffs). Could barely walk, but hit a 3 to ignite RV's rally.
-WL 6'1" PG Heyer guard 6'10" Taylor down low. Both knocked to the ground multiple times and someone Heyer went 3 quarters w/o a foul. Looked like a Jack Russell terrier bullying a Lab.

Western played good enough to win. Only highpoint was back-to back dunks by soph Jacob Vis.

Unity vs Sioux Center
Western vs West Lyon
Who you got people?
Unity is playing confidently right now.
Coach Warner is getting the most out of a team that has a decent post, no true point guard, and a lot of athletic wing players. They beat SC by 2 on the road earlier.

WL will have to shoot better than they did against RV to have a chance against Western, but are athletic enough to steal a win. Western has to step up their D and not allow 2nd chances off put backs.
Both will be good games.

Sheldon led 52-47 early in the 4th, and then SC went on a 12-0 (or so) run to take the lead and put it out of reach.

Heckuva response from the team who had lost their final three of the season and we're down early in the fourth quarter to a very good Sheldon team. Do you have any individual stats to share?

Heckuva response from the team who had lost their final three of the season and we're down early in the fourth quarter to a very good Sheldon team. Do you have any individual stats to share?

Sheldon:
Kleinhesselink - 24 pts, 7 reb
Boerhave - 13 and 7
Van Gorp - 14 and 4

Sioux Center:
Arends: 16 pts, 4 3pt, 7 reb, 3 stl
Bleeker: 14 and 5, 2 blk
Zeutenhorst: 14 pts
Walhof: 11 and 10 (double-double)

For Substate 1, I'd call Unity-Sioux Center a toss-up and take Western by 12+ over West Lyon

For Substate 1, I'd call Unity-Sioux Center a toss-up and take Western by 12+ over West Lyon

I do think Sioux center can pull it off against unity. And I'll take Western against WL by around 10 as well, but would love to see WL somehow pull off the HUGE HUGE upset

Western gets the 1 point win, 59-58. West Lyon played some very good D to contain Western's offense. Seemed like Western was in control a couple of times but West Lyon found a way to get back into it. Western's leading scorer, Ben Gesink, had to sit much of the 2nd half with foul trouble. Interesting move by West Lyon deciding to stall for the last shot late in the game, both when it was tied and even when they were down 1. It obviously didn't work out for them.

Wasn't at the game tonight but read the SC Journal recap. 22-10 on fouls? Was that legit? May have sealed the game for WC though not having Granstra shoot FT's at the end and then running out the clock.

Wasn't at the game tonight but read the SC Journal recap. 22-10 on fouls? Was that legit? May have sealed the game for WC though not having Granstra shoot FT's at the end and then running out the clock.
The foul disparity was even greater considering a few of the WL fouls were intentional at the end of the game.

Same ref crew that called the phantom technical @ Heelan and they were not up to the task last night either. 5 Western players with 4 fouls, multiple times where ball goes out of bounds and none of the 3 knew who's ball, so they'd guess. Made poor calls both ways all night. Too indecisive to be calling a game like this.

I credit WL with taking advantage of the officiating and would hold/push at will under the basket. Really hurt Western's flow to have their PG, Gesink, on the bench for 2/3 of the game.

Western made a lot of poor choices on the offensive end. Didn't expect seniors to have so many mental errors with the ball. Will need to improve to advance.

Last edited:
The foul disparity was even greater considering a few of the WL fouls were intentional at the end of the game.

Same ref crew that called the phantom technical @ Heelan and they were not up to the task last night either. 5 Western players with 4 fouls, multiple times where ball goes out of bounds and none of the 3 knew who's ball, so they'd guess. Made poor calls both ways all night. Too indecisive to be calling a game like this.

I credit WL with taking advantage of the officiating and would hold/trip/undercut at will under the basket. Really hurt Western's flow to have their PG, Gesink, on the bench for 2/3 of the game.

Western made a lot of poor choices on the offensive end. Didn't expect seniors to have so many mental errors with the ball. Will need to improve to advance.
For the record, it wasn't the same crew, just the ref who called the phantom tech was one of the officials last night.

I credit WL with taking advantage of the officiating and would hold/push at will under the basket. Really hurt Western's flow to have their PG, Gesink, on the bench for 2/3 of the game.

WL committed 1 foul at the end, not fouls. I thought the discrepancy could have been more. WL is bigger, stronger, faster than Western and continually beat them to spots. Western is not used to having a team more athletic than them. Complaining about WL pushing is comical. Huyer couldnt move on offense without being bumped, grabbed and held. Every shot that Western took Jansma and Miller were 2 hand shoves to the back for O boards. Tyson Kooima is a rolling bowling ball. It's not my intention to call out these kids. Just that it was a physical game on both ends.

1 time on the baseline the refs didnt know whose ball it was, just 1 not multiple. Frankly, the refs missed that call. It was not touched.

Gesink's 1st 3 fouls were legit. His 4th was a 50-50 call that went against him. Personally, i thought it was a block, but he cant take those chances when he has 3. Give Noah Vant Hof credit for taking Gesink out the game. Meyer being if foul trouble hurt WL. WC didnt have an answer for him.

IMO, 2 of the 3 refs last night are not great. I was surprised to see them as both teams had them the game before. This game was not decided by the refs. Both coaching staffs had their teams prepared. Gesink's defensive rotation on the WL lob play was a thing of beauty. Well prepared on both sides. the best player on both teams put on a show. Both great players. WL had better athletes, but WC has better basketball players. The game came down to WC making 1 more defensive stand and 1 more basket. Both teams left everything on the floor and i am betting lots of sore boys this morning. It was a great high school game and would have been fun to see in Des Moines instead of LeMars

Maybe give WL some credit for taking Western out of there game instead of bagging on the officials

...Both teams left everything on the floor and i am betting lots of sore boys this morning. It was a great high school game and would have been fun to see in Des Moines instead of LeMars...
Agree.

Fans will always view games thru the filter of their own bias.
I don't think the refs decided the outcome, just made it closer that it should have been.
I do think WL played a better game than Western.

Agree that WL had a nice play set to win the game and Gesink recognized it and stymied it.

I agree one of The three officials is pretty solid. The two gray haired officials are not my favorite in big games to say the least. And I agree, WL beat western to a lot of spots and western had a lot of stupid fouls. Reaching and over the back calls. The only "bad foul call" on Gesink was the 50/50 block charge call that didn't go his way. Other than that, I thought it was a decently called game. Give Gesink credit for staying tough and making the biggest play of the game. That's what studs do. I thought all along WL posed the biggest threat to Western and I knew BCMoore was crazy having Western a 17 point favorite. Yes, THE ONE official last night was the phantom T official from the heelan game, but the other two officials did NOT do that heelan game. I expected more from you Vander. You snuck out with a tough win. it's all good.

Personal bias is a strange thing and can make two people who are seeing the same thing view it very differently. So Western people will complain about the officials last night and West Lyon people will defend them. The truth is probably somewhere in between. You can't argue though that the foul disparity, legit or not, did not have an effect on the game. Western shot 7 free throws to West Lyon's 28. Being in the double bonus for much of the 4th was a big advantage for West Lyon and helped them come back. The foul situation was a clear factor in the game. Like I said we probably won't agree on how legit many of those foul calls were though. Interestingly enough not being in the bonus probably helped Western win the game in the end as they could just run out the clock and not worry about needing to make free throws.

One thing I am not buying is that West Lyon has better athletes. This is the same group of Western kids who just won a state football title, beating West Lyon twice in the process. So these same Western kids were better athletes on the football field but not on the basketball court? I mean no disrespect to West Lyon here, they played a great game and deserved to be in it. Defensively they played Western as well or better than anyone has all year. But it was a great group of athletes on both sides of the ball.

It sounded like a great game! Seemed like a back and forth contest between two really good teams who left it all out on the court.

Who do you have Saturday night?

Western vs Sioux Center?

Personal bias is a strange thing and can make two people who are seeing the same thing view it very differently. So Western people will complain about the officials last night and West Lyon people will defend them. The truth is probably somewhere in between. You can't argue though that the foul disparity, legit or not, did not have an effect on the game. Western shot 7 free throws to West Lyon's 28. Being in the double bonus for much of the 4th was a big advantage for West Lyon and helped them come back. The foul situation was a clear factor in the game. Like I said we probably won't agree on how legit many of those foul calls were though. Interestingly enough not being in the bonus probably helped Western win the game in the end as they could just run out the clock and not worry about needing to make free throws.

One thing I am not buying is that West Lyon has better athletes. This is the same group of Western kids who just won a state football title, beating West Lyon twice in the process. So these same Western kids were better athletes on the football field but not on the basketball court? I mean no disrespect to West Lyon here, they played a great game and deserved to be in it. Defensively they played Western as well or better than anyone has all year. But it was a great group of athletes on both sides of the ball.

The foul disparity absolutely had a huge barring on that game. There is no denying it. You have to look past the total numbers and look at the why. Why was there this discrepancy? Was it the official being one-sided? Was it the play on the floor?

I am agree 100% on athletes being on both teams. It was fun to watch. Adjustments had to be made on how things were done based on both teams athleticism. Jansma was having a hard time getting to the rim cleanly so he adjusted and focused on the middle of the lane and hit 8 footers. Huge adjustment there that probably won the game.

I felt that West Lyon was stronger, faster and quicker and better conditioned last night across the board. Western looked gassed at the end. Western clearly has better basketball players with better basketball skill. They are the better team. I was thinking about the football matchups earlier as well. WC skill positions ran around us like we were standing still in that playoff game. Not sure what the difference was

Well I guess if West Lyon is stronger, faster, and quicker Western just must be better basketball and football players than them. Whatever it was they were too much for two very good West Lyon teams to overcome.

As for the Sioux Center game I am taking Western but it will be much closer than the first time they played. These two teams know each other very well and both have excellent coaches. Western is lead by Seniors though and Sioux Center is not, I think that will be a key to the game.

Well I guess if West Lyon is stronger, faster, and quicker Western just must be better basketball and football players than them. Whatever it was they were too much for two very good West Lyon teams to overcome.

As for the Sioux Center game I am taking Western but it will be much closer than the first time they played. These two teams know each other very well and both have excellent coaches. Western is lead by Seniors though and Sioux Center is not, I think that will be a key to the game.

Dude get over yourself. Funny the two people on here today that are whining about everything, are the ones who's team actually won the game last night. Almost as if you just can't handle that you only won by 1, and you think you should've won by more. Also, I will agree that WL is bigger faster stronger than Western. That doesn't mean they're automatically going to win. Not sure why you take so much offense to that. The guy even said "WL is athletic, Western has basketball players." Have you ever seen a team that was bigger faster stronger lose a game in basketball or even football? I HAVE! I'd even go so far to say that WL has had multiple basketball teams in the last 20 years that were bigger faster stronger than almost every team in the Siouxland. That doesn't always mean automatic victories. And I'd be careful talkin smack against WL football. Wasn't too long ago teams were crushing Western. WL has had dominant football tradition for many more years than westerns even had football.

So again. Chill out. You won. It's all good.
P.S. I'm not from WL but have watched both teams at different points this season.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Woah dude, I'm not sure I am the one who needs to chill. I was just making a lame joke, apparently you didn't get it. Check out my user name. No need to come back with a full paragraph all worked up. For not being a West Lyon fan you sure felt them need to defend them.

West Lyon has always had great athletes and has a fantastic football program. What Western has done recently in football is nothing compared to West Lyon's storied history. Again, it was a joke man. I respect West Lyon.

Woah dude, I'm not sure I am the one who needs to chill. I was just making a lame joke, apparently you didn't get it. Check out my user name. No need to come back with a full paragraph all worked up. For not being a West Lyon fan you sure felt them need to defend them.

West Lyon has always had great athletes and has a fantastic football program. What Western has done recently in football is nothing compared to West Lyon's storied history. Again, it was a joke man. I respect West Lyon.

All good. I will make a note to not take any of your posts seriously from now on because of your user name LOL. Can't wait to hear how Sioux Center western turns out. I probably won't be able to make it but I think Western will prevail.

All good. I will make a note to not take any of your posts seriously from now on because of your user name LOL. Can't wait to hear how Sioux Center western turns out. I probably won't be able to make it but I think Western will prevail.
17-12 Sioux Center after 1st quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT