ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2A: 2021 Playoff Prediction Contest

max preps says west Lyon lost to estherville 40 to 7 is that correct?? Sev beat them 24 14

max preps says west Lyon lost to estherville 40 to 7 is that correct?? Sev beat them 24 14
That is true, but it was week 2. Its not the first time WL has drastically turned things around by the end of the year. Seriously though, I was not being snarky. I was asking if anyone could provide context to their loss to Spirit Lake.

Im sorry but SEV lost to Spirit Lake? How? West Lyon destoryed SL.
Just like the Jets beating the Titans and the Dolphins beating the Ravens. Sometimes good teams have off days and sometimes bad teams have really good games. That's sports and that's why they play the games.

Reactions: ghost80
That is true, but it was week 2. Its not the first time WL has drastically turned things around by the end of the year. Seriously though, I was not being snarky. I was more asking, can anyone provide context to their loss to Spirit Lake?
Sev was up 14 0 on them early then just a couple turnovers happened. No excuses they beat them. Sev had chances to tie it up just couldn’t get it done. It was cold and a long drive for the jags but everyone has off days!

Pick winners each week. Will continue post updated results following each round. Picks must be in by KICKOFF. Please copy + paste the list below and *HIGHLIGHT* your projected winner to make tracking scores easier after each game. I will be manually inserting BCMoore Rankings and VarsityBound Power Rankings as well to see how they finish. Best of luck to everyone who participates!

2020 Standings:
1. FootballFan1009
2. HawkinWater
3. AllStateSnub8
4. BCMoore
5. Waukon88
PlaceUserRd 1Rd 2Rd 3SemisTOTAL
1​
HawkinWater
16​
7​
3​
2​
28​
2​
NWIowaSioux
16​
8​
2​
1​
27​
2​
blcoach80
15​
8​
3​
1​
27​
2​
usfhawk
14​
8​
3​
2​
27​
5​
stangs_sb
16​
7​
2​
0​
25​
5​
NWIA_37
15​
7​
2​
1​
25​
5​
MsideChief
13​
7​
3​
2​
25​
8​
cubs2005
15​
7​
2​
0​
24​
8​
AllStateSnub8
14​
7​
2​
1​
24​
10​
PNation
13​
7​
3​
0​
23​
10​
Hooper21
12​
8​
2​
1​
23​
12​
makelovenotwar
15​
6​
0​
1​
22​
12​
VarsityBound
12​
7​
1​
2​
22​
12​
Waukon88
12​
7​
1​
2​
22​
12​
bcmoore
13​
5​
2​
2​
22​
16​
LBdomination12
13​
0​
0​
0​
13​
17​
hawkhopeful
0​
0​
2​
0​
2​

Round 5 (CHAMPIONSHIP) Matchup:
Southeast Valley vs. West Lyon, Inwood

TIEBREAKER
For those in 1st and 2nd place (@HawkinWater, @NWIowaSioux, @blcoach80, @usfhawk). Please select the TOTAL number of points scored between the two teams during the championship game. Those that are closest to the total number of points will win the tiebreaker.

Best of luck to Southeast Valley and West Lyon this Friday!

Was it the last game of the season when SEV had everything wrapped up?
Getting beat by SL was a good thing for SEV. Showed them that no matter how good you are when you are facing a good opponent you need to stay focused, on task, and cannot make mistakes. SEV was up 14-0 and went to sleep. Very much a hats off to SL for coming prepared and staying focused to earn a big win that in the end.....actually helped and didn't hurt SEV.

Wouldn't expect that kind of a let down to happen in tomorrow's championship game.

If West Lyon can block Graves they win. If Graves is able to disrupt the backfield and shut down the run game of West Lyon I think they'll be dead in the water. It may be that West Lyon has to dedicate to many guys to Graves and someone is able to step up and shut it down as well. CLGLR was able to move up and down the field on West Lyon but their defense clamps down in the red zone. I think SEV will be able to move the ball but their inability to kick field goals may haunt them.

I'm to lazy to do the research @ghost80 can you fill me in on the history of SEV? Is this the first championship game they've played in?

I'm picking SEV total points 26.

I'll be cheering for family that coaches and plays for West Lyon though. Get after it Wildcats.

Reactions: MsideChief
If West Lyon can block Graves they win. If Graves is able to disrupt the backfield and shut down the run game of West Lyon I think they'll be dead in the water. It may be that West Lyon has to dedicate to many guys to Graves and someone is able to step up and shut it down as well. CLGLR was able to move up and down the field on West Lyon but their defense clamps down in the red zone. I think SEV will be able to move the ball but their inability to kick field goals may haunt them.

I'm to lazy to do the research @ghost80 can you fill me in on the history of SEV? Is this the first championship game they've played in?

I'm picking SEV total points 26.

I'll be cheering for family that coaches and plays for West Lyon though. Get after it Wildcats.
First championship game for SEV. 3rd trip to dome (other 2 times were as Prairie Valley) all under their current coach. They have beaten 2 of last years champs this season (one twice) so I don't think playing in the championship game will rattle them. Playing in the dome is a different experience and these kids had not been there yet......but didn't appear too impacted during last weeks game.

Tomorrows championship game should not be a beat down by either team. You won't see SEV bully WL the way they did Waukon last week. That just won't happen. WL will have size on SEV but the Jags possess good speed and strength. Excellent coaching move (and unselfish play on his part) moving Graves from DE to Nose in the off season. SEV has been very effective with Graves in the middle of a 3-4. Options can be problematic for Ds which heavily 2 way. You win the battle of 2 ways by making the other team wear themselves on defense. I think SEV will hold up to the WL running game. IMO WL is going to have to throw the ball to win. SEV does have undersized D Backs and going high on them might be low percentage BUT you can move the ball in big chunks. If the running game isn't working for WL they need to go there sooner than later if SEV is able to score.

You kind of fell into the same trap as everyone else. Worry about the 800 lb gorilla in the room and ignore the SEV offense. Kruse is a very effective double threat QB and he has lots of weapons to choose from. His footwork last week (over 200 yards rushing) reminded me of Seneca Wallace..... for good reason. Seneca has ties to SEV and worked with these kids last summer. SEV will obviously want to move the ball on the ground and minimize their air attack to keep the clock rolling....IMO WL containing the SEV running game might be a big key for them to win.

You are correct on the SEV kicking game. There is none. Look for SEV to try and capitalize from the air both outside the red zone and when they are shallow in the RZ. With WL size running yards deep in the red zone could be tough....but don't underestimate the OG blocking capability of Graves.

Should be a good game ...expecting both sides to find the endzone and if I were playing the pickem game would probably bump your points up by 10.

Last edited:
At the half SEV 6-0. Both defenses playing much stouter than I'd anticipated. SEV shoots themselves in the foot with the penalties to end the first half...especially the personal foul on the WL 7.

Neither is my team but SEV got screwed with that garbage penalty for blind side block before halftime that cost them a TD. That ref needs to be fired. The blocker never even hit him, just slid between the guy and the ball carrier and got in the way.

At the half SEV 6-0. Both defenses playing much stouter than I'd anticipated. SEV shoots themselves in the foot with the penalties to end the first half...especially the personal foul on the WL 7.
That was a terrible call. Should have been a TD.

Neither is my team but SEV got screwed with that garbage penalty for blind side block before halftime that cost them a TD. That ref needs to be fired. The blocker never even hit him, just slid between the guy and the ball carrier and got in the way.
This nailed it. I have no skin in the game, but that terrible call jobbed SEV out of 6-8 points and there is no arguing that. Terrible call that I don't know how you make in that situation. He was standing right there watching it. Hope it doesn't make a difference in the final result.

Reactions: MVPFAN and NI hawk
Yep, barely brushed him. That call is supposed to take away the dangerous blocks not that.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Yep, barely brushed him. That call is supposed to take away the dangerous blocks not that.
...and how much contact is allowed in a blind side block?

Yes this was a stiff call but if the official made it in the name of keeping the game under control and preventing someone from later getting lit up because this call wasn't made I'll agree with them on the side of safety. With the official being on top of it....it was a deliberate call on his part. This isn't the same as a hold away from a play they can ignore because it shouldn't later potentially lead to an unsafe situation.

It would be best to not make an official decide if he needs to throw the flag or not. Just glad that in the end it didn't impact the outcome of any game.

Yes this was a stiff call but if the official made it in the name of keeping the game under control and preventing someone from later getting lit up because this call wasn't made I'll agree with them on the side of safety. With the official being on top of it....it was a deliberate call on his part. This isn't the same as a hold away from a play they can ignore because it shouldn't later potentially lead to an unsafe situation.

It would be best to not make an official decide if he needs to throw the flag or not. Just glad that in the end it didn't impact the outcome of any game.
You think that or lack of that would lead to a unsafe hit later? Are you serious? Read the link below. Is that what we saw today? Also, a hold is a hold no matter where it happens on the field.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports...inate-the-blindside-block-pop-up-onside-kick/

Reactions: MVPFAN and NI hawk
Congrats to SEV. They proved they were the best in 2A. Any insight for returning players next year for the top teams in 2A. Kruse was the "Cooper DeJean" of this year in 2A, but who comes back from Central Lyon, West Lyon, SEV, and OABCIG? Who is next years pre-season top 5? TIA

Absolutely terrible call.

Reactions: MVPFAN

It was a crap call period. No question about it, no explanation makes it ok. That call is supposed to be for the times when a guy would get ear holed or de-cleated when his head is turned away from the blocker. This was not in the same universe as that. Thankfully the outcome was not affected.

FINAL 2021 Standings:
PlaceUserRd 1Rd 2Rd 3SemisChampTotal (out of 31)% Correct
1​
HawkinWater
16​
7​
3​
2​
1​
29​
93.55%​
2​
NWIowaSioux
16​
8​
2​
1​
1​
28​
90.32%​
3​
blcoach80
15​
8​
3​
1​
0​
27​
87.09%​
4​
usfhawk
14​
8​
3​
2​
0​
27​
87.09%​
5​
NWIA_37
15​
7​
2​
1​
1​
26​
83.87%​
6​
stangs_sb
16​
7​
2​
0​
0​
25​
80.65%​
6​
AllStateSnub8
14​
7​
2​
1​
1​
25​
80.65%​
6​
MsideChief
13​
7​
3​
2​
0​
25​
80.65%​
8​
cubs2005
15​
7​
2​
0​
0​
24​
77.42%​
10​
PNation
13​
7​
3​
0​
0​
23​
74.19%​
10​
Hooper21
12​
8​
2​
1​
0​
23​
74.19%​
12​
VarsityBound
12​
7​
1​
2​
1​
23​
74.19%​
12​
bcmoore
13​
5​
2​
2​
1​
23​
74.19%​
12​
makelovenotwar
15​
6​
0​
1​
0​
22​
70.97%​
12​
Waukon88
12​
7​
1​
2​
0​
22​
70.97%​
16​
LBdomination12
13​
0​
0​
0​
0​
13​
41.94%​
17​
hawkhopeful
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
2​
6.45%​

Top 5:
1) @HawkinWater
2) @NWIowaSioux
3) @blcoach80
4) @usfhawk
5) @NWIA_37

Congrats to HawkinWater for winning our 2021 2A Prediction Contest after correctly picking 93.55% of games correctly this postseason. Back-to-back years in the top 2 is pretty impressive with as open class 2A has been these past 2 years. Best of luck in defending the title next season.

Finally, a huge congrats to Southeast for winning the state championship. Kruse's playmaking ability in both the running and passing game made this team tough to beat, especially in the UNI Dome. Graves is also one of the most dominant 2A lineman we have seen in a long while. 2A-2 proved to be one of the most stacked districts in recent years as well.

Thanks to everyone for participating and now we look forward to next year!

First of all congrats to SEV. What a year for you guys. Always fun to watch a special group achieve so much. Kruse really elevated his game this year and Graves was just a monster on the line. Looking forward to following his career at Iowa.

Thanks @AllStateSnub8 for keeping track again this year. High School football season always goes by to fast. Looking forward to next year already.

Congrats to SEV. They proved they were the best in 2A. Any insight for returning players next year for the top teams in 2A. Kruse was the "Cooper DeJean" of this year in 2A, but who comes back from Central Lyon, West Lyon, SEV, and OABCIG? Who is next years pre-season top 5? TIA
Well..the one thing we do know going into next year is that SEV will be ranked #1....by BC Moore.....but then again Brent finished tied for 12th.

Southeast valley loses a ton of talent. Kruse,graves,Brant,Fisher but looking on the sidelines they have some big kids. And the jv teams only lost one game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT