ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A Season Outlook

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
Here are my thoughts for 1A. Like I said for Class A this is just to get a little discussion going during the long boring summer months.

District 1

Favorite: OABCIG
Top Challenger: Hinton

Overall the top teams in this district last year were very young so I think you will see the same teams be successful. I put OABCIG as the favorite because they return a bunch and seemed to take the district pretty easily last year. After that I could see Hinton, West Sioux or Ridge View being a top challenger. I am interested to see Ridge View under the leadership of Brian Wilken, how does he adapt back to the 11 man game, because I feel he is a very good coach.

District 2

Favorite: Emmetsburg
Top Challenger: Manson NW Webster

Emmetsburg was the best team in this district last year and honestly by a wide margin. They were overall a young team so I expect them to win the district again. Manson NW Webster kind of fell into the 2 spot last year, and return quite a bit as well so I would think they should be improved as well. For the final two spots I think Pokey, East Sac and Sioux Central are all in contention.

District 3

Favorite: Dike New Hartford
Top Challenger: Sumner Fredericksburg

This district was a blood bath last year. I took DNH because to me they were very close to being a dome team but just couldn’t quite get over a couple of humps and with the experience they return I think they take this district. Of the teams remaining I like SF, I think the fact that some younger kids got experience with some injuries last year will be beneficial but they do lose some studs. I still think MFL will be good, I just don’t know what they have coming up to replace what they lost.

District 4

Favorite: Grundy Center
Top Challenger: South Hardin

Grundy is the back to back state champion and while they do lose some impressive talent, I also think that they will just reload and take this district again. After them I think there are a lot of questions, I took South Hardin because they seemed to grow as the season went on, but I am not sure what they have up front. Columbus lost a ton to graduation, Hudson is always solid, and Alburnett was young last year and couldn’t seem to get out of their own way. I think any of those 4 could honestly finish second.

District 5

Favorite: Wilton
Top Challenger: Regina

District 5 is a district of 3 haves and 3 have nots. I think with what Wilton brings back they should be the favorite, they aren’t run away favorites but none the less favorites. I put Regina in the 2 spot just because I think they have a few more questions answered. I think West Branch will be good as always, but I am interested to see what they look like this fall. As for the forth spot I think it comes down to Beckman and Cascade again.

District 6

Favorite: Pella Christian
Top Challenger: Sigourney Keota

District 6 is another district with a clear top half and bottom half. I guess for me I trust Pella Christian and SK more then Pleasantville, although I do think the Trojans return some nice pieces that might take them to a district crown, but right now I would take PC with what they bring back and SK is always tough. As for the 4th spot I would lean EBF but I don’t see any of those teams being very good.

District 7

Favorite: South Hamilton
Top Challenger: Woodward Granger

I think South Hamilton has built their program into one that will be contending for a district title every year. They aren’t flashy and might not be a state title contender but will always play solid football. I think Woodward Granger checks the most boxes after them, bringing back many contributors from a decent team last year. After those two I think it is probably Ogden and West Central Valley for the other two spots.

District 8

Favorite: AHSTW
Top Challenger: Underwood

I went back and forth between AHSTW and Underwood, and honestly Treynor as well. I just think that all three programs are very good, but AHSTW brings back the most experience. Underwood has just been reloading lately so they very well may do it again and win the district, and like I said Treynor should be solid as well. For the fourth spot I lean towards Shenandoah but just like so many 1A districts there is a big drop from 3 to 4

My Top 10

1. Grundy Center
2. Dike New Hartford
3. Wilton
4. OABCIG
5. AHSTW
6. Emmetsburg
7. Regina
8. Sigourney Keota
9. Underwood
10. South Hamilton

Reactions: Pinehawk