ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A District Playoff Pairings

So finishing second twice and third once isnt worth a shit? Realize their schedule was weak but because they didnt win it all they arent worth a shit?? So this year in class A their will be 153 shitty teams and only one good one. Thanks for clarifying... My original post was simply they would compete with New London and not lay down.. By the way those brothers will graduate with business degrees and a 4.0 grade point in four years..

So finishing second twice and third once isnt worth a shit? Realize their schedule was weak but because they didnt win it all they arent worth a shit?? So this year in class A their will be 153 shitty teams and only one good one. Thanks for clarifying... My original post was simply they would compete with New London and not lay down.. By the way those brothers will graduate with business degrees and a 4.0 grade point in four years..

The fact that you felt the need to tell us about the twins GPA in college tells me you are very emotional about your bears. So I'll try not hurt your feelings. You originally said that Danville (this year) is as good as it's been since the early 2000's. (They were really good in 2001-2002). But you don't really think they are better today than they were in 2011-12-13 do you? I just pointed out that your 2011-12-13 teams were pretty good; except for when they played someone who was actually ranked in the top 5 in 1A, in which case they lost 3 out of 5 in that situation and never won a title.

Last edited:
The fact that you felt the need to tell us about the twins GPA in college tells me you are very emotional about your bears. So I'll try not hurt your feelings. You originally said that Danville (this year) is as good as it's been since the early 2000's. That clearly isn't correct. They aren't even close to as good as they were in the early 2000's. (They were really good in 2001-2002). And they're not even as good as your 2011-12-13 teams. I just pointed out that your 2011-12-13 teams were pretty good; except for when they played someone who was actually ranked in the top 5 in 1A, in which case they lost 3 out of 5 in that situation and never won a title.

He said as good as the PROGRAM has been. I'm sure he doesn't think this team was even a top 5 Danville team since 2000.

I misread, misspoke, and corrected.
Actually I am a Chicago Bears fan though I am ashamed of how they have played the last 6 years.. The father is the AD at Danville and is very proud of his kids and what they have accomplished. No I dont believe they are a great team, a good one yes. As I have stated all along New London was the team to be and they still are in Class 1A Southeast Iowa

BH's defense is all of the sudden really legit. Gave up 16 at half. 17 in the 3rd quarter(3 or 4 threes). And then decided enough is enough and gave up 3 in the 4th quarter!. GLR averages 64 ppg and scored 36 tonight.

I was at the game. GLR the game before was really dependent on a 3 man weave up top into a drive and dish. BH came well prepared and well coached. They came out physical and tough from the start. They seemed to have a tough start at the beginning of the season right now I wouldn't want to be in their way.

I was at the game. GLR the game before was really dependent on a 3 man weave up top into a drive and dish. BH came well prepared and well coached. They came out physical and tough from the start. They seemed to have a tough start at the beginning of the season right now I wouldn't want to be in their way.

I've talked with a number of coaches who all say that when your football team goes deep into the playoffs and in this situation won the football state championship, those are the toughest teams to coach. Especially the first half of the season. But since Losing 3 in a row mid season (to 3 very quality teams) they've rattled off 12 of their last 13, including wins against RV, and Sioux Center. They seem to win with defense and balanced scoring. Have fun choosing which player to focus on.

Remsen should win. Gehlen isn't that good and that meets the criteria for Remsens schedule all year minus 2 games.

BH GLR will be a dogfight. Will be very interesting who can execute the game plan the best. GLR has been playing very good lately, but I guess the same can be said or BH finishing the season with wins over RV and Sioux center. I'll take BH in a tight one. Whoever wins, I'll take that winner over RemsenSM in the substate by double digits. Remsen would have 8 losses MINIMUM in the Siouxland this year. MINIMUM
I think unless Remsen finds something offensively they will have trouble against a very athletic Boyden Hull team tonight.

Well RSM pulled it off. Close game all the way. BH had chances down by 1 or 2 to go on a run and every time they shot themselves in the foot. There were a few questionable calls but that's just the way it goes.

Heck of a game tonight in Lemars with the War Eagle Conference team coming out on top for a second year in a row. Physical game and officiating maybe a little inconsistent but probably effected both teams equally. St. Mary's was impressive considering they've never been in that position. Maybe their experience in big baseball games helped? BH pretty solid for a "down year". Good to see some new blood get out of NW IA to the state tournament.

Reactions: kuchel20
Played really well Saturday night vs GLR, but didn't play as well tonight. I thought that RSM was very good, so a lot of credit goes to them. BH got beat thats all there is to say.

Remsen should win. Gehlen isn't that good and that meets the criteria for Remsens schedule all year minus 2 games.

BH GLR will be a dogfight. Will be very interesting who can execute the game plan the best. GLR has been playing very good lately, but I guess the same can be said or BH finishing the season with wins over RV and Sioux center. I'll take BH in a tight one. Whoever wins, I'll take that winner over RemsenSM in the substate by double digits. Remsen would have 8 losses MINIMUM in the Siouxland this year. MINIMUM

MINIMUM

And your thoughts now??...who has st.Mary's beat...just beat boyden hull like I said they would on 1/23...go war eagle

That They played a great game last night and won. Kudos to them. Nothing against them, their schedule just wasn't great. Thats the facts.

We don't know that. They very easily can lose 8 games in the siouxland. When you play SC, RV, Sheldon, BH, WL, GLR,CL etc.etc all night in and night out and don't get a break. The losses in the siouxland can pile up. I think most people who get it and were at the game last night will say St. Marys was good. If BH & St. Marys played 10 times, they would probably split 5-5.

Heck of a game tonight in Lemars with the War Eagle Conference team coming out on top for a second year in a row. Physical game and officiating maybe a little inconsistent but probably effected both teams equally. St. Mary's was impressive considering they've never been in that position. Maybe their experience in big baseball games helped? BH pretty solid for a "down year". Good to see some new blood get out of NW IA to the state tournament.
Actually third year in a row for War Eagle

Correct. And I'll even list them for you.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Sioux center
Sioux center
West Lyon
West Lyon
Rock valley
Rock valley
BH split
Sorry that's 9. Funny y'all wanna come and pile on as soon as a team loses one game that I thought they would win. I'll say to you the same as I said to someone else. I don't know where you're from, but instead of being a sore winner, where's the respect for a BH program that has 16 state tournament appearances (13th most All time) and a conference that has 10 state championships in the last 13 years????

The reason people are piling on is because of how dismissive you were of RSM and the War Eagle before the game. When you make comments about whoever RSM played would beat them by at least 10, you should expect a little heat in return. In fact I think the only 10 plus point lead in the game was held by RSM. Nobody I know discounts BHs past. They have traditionally been the 1A powerhouse in the area but to state hypothetical losses for RSM in the Siouxland as an absolute certainty sounds like sour grapes.

Correct. And I'll even list them for you.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Sioux center
Sioux center
West Lyon
West Lyon
Rock valley
Rock valley
BH split
Sorry that's 9. Funny y'all wanna come and pile on as soon as a team loses one game that I thought they would win. I'll say to you the same as I said to someone else. I don't know where you're from, but instead of being a sore winner, where's the respect for a BH program that has 16 state tournament appearances (13th most All time) and a conference that has 10 state championships in the last 13 years????

The respect is in the same place as the respect you gave to the Danville program earlier in this thread.. Reminds me of the glass house saying..

The reason people are piling on is because of how dismissive you were of RSM and the War Eagle before the game. When you make comments about whoever RSM played would beat them by at least 10, you should expect a little heat in return. In fact I think the only 10 plus point lead in the game was held by RSM. Nobody I know discounts BHs past. They have traditionally been the 1A powerhouse in the area but to state hypothetical losses for RSM in the Siouxland as an absolute certainty sounds like sour grapes.

I made one comment about their schedule. I didn't repeat myself once. Grandview however I repeated multiple times their schedule is weak and I'll stand by that until they go to state multiple times and actually win a meaningful game. Back to RSM schedule. Sorry That you're upset that I simply went by facts. RSM played 2 quality 2A teams this year and beat them both. Other than that, the best 1A team they played all year was ranked 29 and they beat them by 4 and 2 the last two times they played. So was my comment a while back about RSM having a weaker schedule minus two games that incorrect in your mind???

As far as making a prediction about BH/GLR beating RSM by double digits. Isn't that what we do on here? We make predictions. I also predicted Western would be WL in a tight one. I said unity would beat poky and I said Sioux center would beat Sheldon. Then said Western would beat SC in a tight one. I said BH would pull out a tough one against GLR and I was wrong. Those are predictions. Sometimes you're right and sometimes wrong. I came on last night and owned up. I said RSM was the better team last night etc etc. I hope RSM runs the table down in Des Moines. I'd be very happy for them. That would be yet another NWiowa team to win the championship. ThAt would make it 21 state championships from Northwest Iowa in the last 15 years. And if RSM does win It could be said once again that BH lost to the state champion up in Northwest Iowa like they have 4 out of the last 9 years, plus 2 out of those 9 years BH won the championship. which again shows how dumb the association really is. And the same can be said in 2A

Last edited:
Reactions: summitsledhead
Nobody questions your right to make predictions but when u are wrong, to complain or be "upset" that people are piling on seems silly. As you pointed out, it is a message board,that is what people do. As for me, I'm far from upset, actually very happy to be traveling to Des Moines next week.

I made one comment about their schedule. I didn't repeat myself once. Grandview however I repeated multiple times their schedule is weak and I'll stand by that until they go to state multiple times and actually win a meaningful game. Back to RSM schedule. Sorry That you're upset that I simply went by facts. RSM played 2 quality 2A teams this year and beat them both. Other than that, the best 1A team they played all year was ranked 29 and they beat them by 4 and 2 the last two times they played. So was my comment a while back about RSM having a weaker schedule minus two games that incorrect in your mind???

As far as making a prediction about BH/GLR beating RSM by double digits. Isn't that what we do on here? We make predictions. I also predicted Western would be WL in a tight one. I said unity would beat poky and I said Sioux center would beat Sheldon. Then said Western would beat SC in a tight one. I said BH would pull out a tough one against GLR and I was wrong. Those are predictions. Sometimes you're right and sometimes wrong. I came on last night and owned up. I said RSM was the better team last night etc etc. I hope RSM runs the table down in Des Moines. I'd be very happy for them. That would be yet another NWiowa team to win the championship. ThAt would make it 21 state championships from Northwest Iowa in the last 15 years. And if RSM does win It could be said once again that BH lost to the state champion up in Northwest Iowa like they have 4 out of the last 9 years, plus 2 out of those 9 years BH won the championship. which again shows how dumb the association really is. And the same can be said in 2A
Yes in my mind I do believe that is incorrect about their supposedly weak schedule. They only beat Gehlen by 4 and 2, but what people don't know or remember RSM was without 1 starter (Schorg) in the 1st game and most of the 2nd game. What makes this team great though is the bench stepping up and delivering when needed. I don't think 29th is that horrible of a ranking either. Also that is a huge rivalry. Those kids have been playing each other 2 or more times a year since the 3rd grade. They know each other's games well. So I would consider both quality wins. Gehlen lost 7 games. 3 to RSM, 2 to Hinton, 1 to Unity, 1 to West Sioux. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Yes in my mind I do believe that is incorrect about their supposedly weak schedule. They only beat Gehlen by 4 and 2, but what people don't know or remember RSM was without 1 starter (Schorg) in the 1st game and most of the 2nd game. What makes this team great though is the bench stepping up and delivering when needed. I don't think 29th is that horrible of a ranking either. Also that is a huge rivalry. Those kids have been playing each other 2 or more times a year since the 3rd grade. They know each other's games well. So I would consider both quality wins. Gehlen lost 7 games. 3 to RSM, 2 to Hinton, 1 to Unity, 1 to West Sioux. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

OK. You got me. RSM played Three good teams all year. Are you good now, or do I need to start dissecting HLP's hidden Greatness? ;-). I am happy for any team in NW Iowa going to Des Moines (minus maybe Western sometimes). I never said RSM wasn't good. Simply said their schedule was weak.

OK. You got me. RSM played Three good teams all year. Are you good now, or do I need to start dissecting HLP's hidden Greatness? ;-). I am happy for any team in NW Iowa going to Des Moines (minus maybe Western sometimes). I never said RSM wasn't good. Simply said their schedule was weak.
Actually since you brought it up, HLP .... just messing with you. I am good now though. Your concession is all I needed.

Well said

Ok JayZ I would like to address the strength of schedule debate here. Can you tell me what CB St Alberts, Central Lyon, GLR, Boyden Hull, Hudson, Hull Trinity, Ft Dodge St Ed's, and Wapsie Valley all have in common? Two things: 1) They are all in the top 8 according to BC Moore in strength of schedule and 2) None of them are going to Des Moines next week to play in the State Tournament. Now I do see your point about a team that plays a weak schedule should not automatically get respect until they beat a team of significance, but I also would like to point out that some teams do take care of business when it comes to whoever they play. One example I would like to point out is a couple of substate games to compare: 1) North Linn #1 vs Clayton Ridge #66, final score was a 26 point difference. 2) Grand View Christian #2 vs Southwest Valley #58, final score was a 41 point difference. Well, you could say GV ran up the score so it doesn't prove anything that GV beat a stronger team by 41 compared to NL who beat a weaker team by only 26...well if you look at the box score, both GV and NL out scored their opponents in the final quarter (NL by 8 and GV by 12), so that argument doesn't hold up. Also, I would like to use Iowa State Football as an example. ISU always has one of the toughest/strongest strength of schedule in the nation, but they SUCK at football, on the flip side I bet Oklahoma doesn't have as strong schedule strength because they are better than everyone on their schedule. So what does Oklahoma do? They play Ohio State at the beginning of the year, kinda like GV played Pella, the #1 team in class 3A. I do think that GV made some decent (not great) teams look pretty bad, when other teams like MVAO would only beat the #136 ranked team by 29, GV would beat the #137 ranked team by 60 with a running clock I would presume! I will agree with you that NW Iowa has had the definite edge over the last 15 years in class 1A, but I do believe that can shift back to the East over the next 5 to 10 years, we will see. I also agree with you that GV needs to prove themselves in the State Tournament where it counts, we will see how it goes next week. It will be interesting to see how the coaches view the teams in their rankings for the tournament tomorrow.

Ok JayZ I would like to address the strength of schedule debate here. Can you tell me what CB St Alberts, Central Lyon, GLR, Boyden Hull, Hudson, Hull Trinity, Ft Dodge St Ed's, and Wapsie Valley all have in common? Two things: 1) They are all in the top 8 according to BC Moore in strength of schedule and 2) None of them are going to Des Moines next week to play in the State Tournament. Now I do see your point about a team that plays a weak schedule should not automatically get respect until they beat a team of significance, but I also would like to point out that some teams do take care of business when it comes to whoever they play. One example I would like to point out is a couple of substate games to compare: 1) North Linn #1 vs Clayton Ridge #66, final score was a 26 point difference. 2) Grand View Christian #2 vs Southwest Valley #58, final score was a 41 point difference. Well, you could say GV ran up the score so it doesn't prove anything that GV beat a stronger team by 41 compared to NL who beat a weaker team by only 26...well if you look at the box score, both GV and NL out scored their opponents in the final quarter (NL by 8 and GV by 12), so that argument doesn't hold up. Also, I would like to use Iowa State Football as an example. ISU always has one of the toughest/strongest strength of schedule in the nation, but they SUCK at football, on the flip side I bet Oklahoma doesn't have as strong schedule strength because they are better than everyone on their schedule. So what does Oklahoma do? They play Ohio State at the beginning of the year, kinda like GV played Pella, the #1 team in class 3A. I do think that GV made some decent (not great) teams look pretty bad, when other teams like MVAO would only beat the #136 ranked team by 29, GV would beat the #137 ranked team by 60 with a running clock I would presume! I will agree with you that NW Iowa has had the definite edge over the last 15 years in class 1A, but I do believe that can shift back to the East over the next 5 to 10 years, we will see. I also agree with you that GV needs to prove themselves in the State Tournament where it counts, we will see how it goes next week. It will be interesting to see how the coaches view the teams in their rankings for the tournament tomorrow.
Having a tough schedule lineup with a high strength of schedule doesn't make you good. Competing and maintaining a good record while having a tough schedule does. Half the teams you listed had a tough schedule and we're never look at to go far in the playoffs. Jayz is talking about the teams that had a tougher schedule but still had good records.

I think I understand what you're trying to say. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it and I'll tell you why. (And I'm being serious).
1. BH's biggest margin of victory this year was 28 against a #58 ranked 2A school okoboji. Their biggest margin of loss was 12 to #28 ranked in 1A Central Lyon (early in the year)
2. Sheldon #12 ranked in 2A, won the Siouxland this year. Their average margin of victory was 10!!!
3. The team that got Dead Last in the Siouxland this year, Sibley #61 ranked in 2A. They went 0-19 in conference. Their biggest lost was by 40 to Sheldon, who won the Siouxland. Other than that they actually lost all 19 conference games by an average of 14 points.
4. GrandView won their games by an average of 50 points. 50 POINTS!!
5. Diagnal lost there games by an average of 34 points. GV beat them by 87 freekin points.

One of these conferences is the 9th ranked conference out of 32 per BCMoore (which is saying something beings it's mostly 1A and 2A schools). And one of these conferences is the 32nd ranked conference out of 32.

So again, and I'm being totally honest. I have no clue what it feels like to "take care of business" by 40-50-60-70-80 or 87 points, because We never get to see it. But yet, as I mentioned before, the Siouxland has produced a state champion 10 times in the last 14 years. Can the west central or the bluegrass conference boast anything remotely close to that? The answer is No. We both know that. So to me, when GV beats diagnal by 87, or when Grandview wins their season games by an average 50 points, but has a strength of schedule of 121 out of 148, that isn't "taking care of business." In my mind, That's ahnihilating a group of teams that is just God Aweful in the worst conference in the entire state. (Not saying every team is terrible in bluegrass, but 90% are). Fact of the matter is, I think your claiming that it's worth something to beat a bad team by 70 and to you that's "taking care of business." Up in the Siouxland, a win is a win anyway you can get it. And if you can beat the 0-19 last place team in the conference by more than 14, then that was a good night. And if you can beat the 6th place team in the conference on the road by 1 point, then you speed your ass home cuz that was a good night. I bet you in 20 years, maybe even 25 years, I can't remember the winner of the Siouxland going undefeated in conference play. If someone wants to correct me, be my guest.
I guess we will find out how good GV is next week. If they prove me wrong, that's fine! But the last 4 years GV has done the same thing every year. They whoop up on their conference all year with one of the worst schedules in 1A, but once districts start, in 4 years, they have only won 2 games against teams ranked in the top 30, and have only made it out of substate once.(now twice). Sorry. No respect deserved, no respect given from me. At least not yet! Good luck. And if you win it all next week, don't come tell me I'm an idiot, because these numbers above, and my opinion won't really change much. If you win it all, I will absolutely say KUDOS! But all that means is, you finally won a game against a top notch opponent during tournaments, and if GV is so dang good as you say, and they win all year long by an average of 50 points, you should win it all!!! Again good luck. In a weird way I'm now rooting for not only RSM but GV as well. :). And if I'm allowed to make another prediction, I would take RSM by 6 or more over GV

Reactions: Saywhat2
Good post Jayz. Accurate and well thought out. The Siouxland has been extremely good for a number of years. NW Iowa in general has been. I don't think any coach enjoys seeing a NW Iowa school in the first round of the state tourney. When a team is hammering their opponents by 30-50 points every game, that team is either extremely good, or their opponents are not. In past years GV has not shown to be great when they get to the Well. Guess we will see if that changes. Schedule does matter! And it should be taken into account. All I know is seeing a BH team coming to the Well with 6-7 losses and seeded 6th or 7th and my team is sitting at 24-1.....well.....I knew it would be like playing a 1 seed. Guess we will see how it all shakes out next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT