ADVERTISEMENT

Changes Announced for 2018

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason Minnesota plays 9 man FB and we play 8 man FB???

For Immediate Release-- October 25, 2017

Boone, IA --The Iowa High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control voted to approve recommendations to adjust classification sizes for the 2018 and 2019 football seasons at Wednesday’s monthly meeting in Boone.

Using recommendations made by the IHSAA’s Classification Committee last month, the Board unanimously agreed to decrease the current number of schools in Classes 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A, and raise the enrollment cap for 8-Player programs.

“The classification committee comes in every other year and encompasses superintendents, principals and athletic directors from public and non-public schools along with schools with broad ranging enrollments. Their thoughtfulness and careful examination of the landscape of football in the state of Iowa lead to these recommendations,” said Todd Tharp, assistant director and football administrator for the IHSAA.

The changes will be implemented during the 2018-19 redistricting cycle. Based on six priorities established by the Classification Committee, class sizes are as follows: the top 42 schools according to the 2017-18 BEDS document will be in 4A, the next 54 schools in 3A, the next 54 schools in 2A, the next 54 schools in 1A, and the remainder of 11-player schools in A.

In the 2016-17 cycle, 4A had 48 schools and the planned sizes of 3A, 2A, and 1A included 56 schools.

The enrollment cap for schools to participate in 8-Player has been raised from 115 to 120 students, per the 2017-18 BEDS listing. There is still no minimum enrollment requirement for 11-player football.

These recommendations were made and approved with six priorities in mind, meant to benefit IHSAA football classifications for the next two years and in the future.

1. Improve competitive balance. The potential for more non-district games allows schools to schedule similarly competitive opponents.

2. Revitalize rivalry games.
An opportunity to play more non-class and non-district games means traditional rivalries between schools and communities may stay on the schedule.

3. Reduce non-district travel. Close proximity can increase attendance for home teams and limit travel expenses for road teams and their fans.

4. Potentially increase participation at all levels. More selective schedules may help slow the flow of underclassmen taking the field early in district contests, which can offer a safety and motivational benefit.

5. Trim enrollment gap in Class 4A. Addresses the trend of the state’s largest schools continuing to grow at faster rates than other districts.

6. Maintain six classes for at least two more years.
Changes were made to the classification structure, but five 11-player classes and one 8-player class will exist for another redistricting cycle.

The Board of Control agreed with the Classification Committee’s assessment that these adjustments would allow the IHSAA and their member schools to address their priorities before planning the next two football seasons, while also monitoring movement and interest at the A and 8-Player levels.

“These changes in classifications will allow schools to continue to evaluate their respective football programs and try and define what needs best fit their program,” Tharp said. “For some programs, the aspect of potentially playing more non-district opponents may lead to creating a more balanced schedule for them, potentially increasing student participation as schools, while others may attempt to challenge themselves with more competitive non-district games.”

The determination of districts per class and postseason qualifying methodology was not made by the Board or the Committee. The decision will be made in conjunction with the Iowa Football Coaches Association executive board, the Iowa High School Athletic Directors Association, and the IHSAA, with final recommendations coming from the football advisory committee after district football meetings are held.

“There will be opportunities to evaluate the number of districts and teams in a district,” Tharp said. “Obviously, with 54 teams in Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, six-team districts will provide for a re-evaluation of the qualifying system and looking at other analytics to determine the qualification system.”

Also affected by the change to the 8-Player enrollment cap: Exceptions for schools attempting to classify for 8-Player football. The Board previously approved two exceptions for schools whose enrollments rose above 115 through the BEDS document. Only Exception No. 1 was kept through voting Wednesday, with the Classification Committee recommending its retention due to the cost of configuring football fields for the 8-Player game.

The first exception, as written: “An 8-Player football school whose current enrollment is 115 or less, and whose enrollment increases above 115 following the 2017 season, will be allowed 8-Player football status for an additional 2 years.”

---
Football’s postseason begins Friday, October 27, at 48 sites across the state of Iowa. Games in all six classifications are scheduled to kickoff at 7 p.m.

Four first round games can be viewed on the NFHS Network with an all-access viewing pass available for $9.99 per month. The games are: Lewis Central at Valley, West Des Moines; Cedar Falls vs. Prairie, Cedar Rapids at Wartburg College; Webster City at Pella; and Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton.

The Iowa High School Sports Network provides viewing opportunities of IHSAA championship events through NBC Sports Chicago, formerly known as Comcast SportsNet. IHSSN is now offering expanded options for semifinal and championship football games on multiple platforms, including: Sling TV (through a Sling Blue subscription), FuboTV, Playstation Vue, and Hulu, as well as its returning packages through DirecTV and DISH Network, and local cable subscribers around the state. Visit IHSSN.com for to select your best viewing options.

CONTACTS: IHSAA Assistant director Todd Tharp, ttharp@iahsaa.org; IHSAA Communications Director Chris Cuellar, ccuellar@iahsaa.org; IHSAA office: 515-432-2011.

Okay so the state says they are only keeping 1 of the 2 exceptions for 8 player. Does anyone know what the other exception was that they dropped for next year

Okay so the state says they are only keeping 1 of the 2 exceptions for 8 player. Does anyone know what the other exception was that they dropped for next year

SECOND EXCEPTION: If an 8-player football school s enrollment is greater than 115 and the BEDS Document Certified Enrollment grades 9-11 (projection) verifies the 8-player football school will have an enrollment of 115 or less during the 2-year period following redistricting, a school will be allowed to continue as an 8-player football school.

So basically what this says is the state wants 9 districts of 6 teams and then you play 4 non district games to start the season. Only the district champion is guaranteed a playoff spot with the rest of the 16 wildcards.

It says the classification committee came up with these recommendations, who is on that committee as all other committees are listed on the iahsaa website but this one.

It says the classification committee came up with these recommendations, who is on that committee as all other committees are listed on the iahsaa website but this one.

Classic IAHSAA / Todd Tharp statement. One paragraph, " the number of districts and post -season qualifying method has not been determined"...next paragraph "six-team districts".

So 16 or 24 team playoff for 4A-1A? do we think they go back to 32 teams for A and 8man? It seems A and 8man will easily exceed 54 teams, likely close to 64 again?

The way it looks right now is it will be 16 teams in all classes if Tharp has his way. Why we have all these committees and then he just does what he wants. I am not a fan of 4 non district games and 5 district games, what is the purpose of that and how does it make it better.

So if 2 schools the play 8 player start sharing, but this cycle would be over 120, but next projected under next would they be able to stay 8-player. Otherwise I doubt the Host team would accept them?

With 9 district, 2 champions have to play first round.

Last edited:

Non specific answer from the letter...
“The classification committee comes in every other year and encompasses superintendents, principals and athletic directors from public and non-public schools along with schools with broad ranging enrollments."

The way it looks right now is it will be 16 teams in all classes if Tharp has his way. Why we have all these committees and then he just does what he wants. I am not a fan of 4 non district games and 5 district games, what is the purpose of that and how does it make it better.

Ask the Alburnett football program how he does what he wants regardless of the rules...

Classic IAHSAA / Todd Tharp statement. One paragraph, " the number of districts and post -season qualifying method has not been determined"...next paragraph "six-team districts".

So 16 or 24 team playoff for 4A-1A? do we think they go back to 32 teams for A and 8man? It seems A and 8man will easily exceed 54 teams, likely close to 64 again?
They won't have different amount of qualifiers for different classes. If the number is close to 64 it will probably just be 8 districts and champ n runner up in with no wildcards.

I will be shocked if they keep it 16 teams. The $$$ they make from the "tournaments" is their main revenue source. I find it hard to believe that the IAHSAA will let that slide, but I guess it depends on how their budget looks for these past 2 years?

And I cant wait to see the tie-breaker scenarios for the next two years...

Reactions: warriors dad
16 teams worked just fine all the way up to 08. The field is to diluted with 32 teams. I'm sure tiebreakers won't change. I get the alburnett beef with it but I don't think the state is going to change much of anything. No offense ment by saying this but if I was on the state committee I would say win your district and you don't have this problem lol.

Not as much travel! Also if your team is relying on alot of new sdtarters, it would give them more time to catch on. 4A allready does this.

16 teams worked just fine all the way up to 08. The field is to diluted with 32 teams. I'm sure tiebreakers won't change. I get the alburnett beef with it but I don't think the state is going to change much of anything. No offense ment by saying this but if I was on the state committee I would say win your district and you don't have this problem lol.

If there are 16 teams in the playoffs, then IAHSAA made money last year. if they lost money, then it will be 24-32. Go back to Register article 2 years ago. Beste said dropping back to 16 teams in playoffs likely would cost IAHSAA 250-300K in revenue. I'm pretty sure salaries there haven't dropped recently.

Maybe they've generated revenue from other sources? They had asset of close to 18 million$ listed in their last tax release from a few year ago. If some of that is in stocks! they could build their own dome. But i'm going to guess that if a decent portion of the coach's are ok starting the week 0 , then IAHSAA will go for the GREEN and go with a 5 week playoff (24 teams with top 8 getting bye , or 32 teams) .

And if they don't amend the wildcard format, or at least tweak the wording, then I really don't know what to say. Can you imagine if it wasn't little ol' Alburnett and New London , but say, Dowling and Centennial in that situation? I don't think a sorry, not sorry from IAHSAA would cut it.

I agree with you that if it was different teams and traditional powers the state would have cared much more on that type of situation
As for 24 teams I don't think I can seee that because most coaches wouldn't want that. A bye early in the season okay but at the end I don't think so. I think most will be afraid of losing rhythm late in the year and focus

I agree with high school football a bye isn't the same as it is in the NFL, coaches like rhythm and a bye isn't good for that.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I dk why ppl don't think the 16 team playoff don't work. You win your District or get runner-up in your in, it's simple. With letting less teams in, playoff appearances actually mean something again. Most of these streaks are a joke that are going on. They all started in 08. If you go look most teams playoff appearances have came since 08 lol. Please please whoever does the playoff stuff keep it at 16 teams.

If they go to 32, they should do the first round as a sub-state game. If I remember correctly that's how it started when they made the switch then two years later they called the whole thing playoffs. If they did a sub-state round it could address the issue of lopsided districts and do a decent job of getting the best 16 in. I feel most teams do not like having a bye week in HIGH school. It would be one thing if they knew which team theybwere preparing for but they dont.

I think
What happened with Alburnett?
They were not first or second in their district so they got thrown into the wildcard slot and when that happens you hope their are no upsets or 3 way ties in other districts and their was in week 9 witch knocked them out.

So, why would they be upset at not qualifying? Or how does that equate to Todd Tharp not following the rules and doing what he wants? Basically, what happened was Westwood beat Gehlen and that took Alburnett out of the picture? Or is there more to it.

So, why would they be upset at not qualifying? Or how does that equate to Todd Tharp not following the rules and doing what he wants? Basically, what happened was Westwood beat Gehlen and that took Alburnett out of the picture? Or is there more to it.

Little more to it, it was how the state interpreted new london, was their 4-2 district record equal to Alb 5-2 district record and how they interpreted the word forfeit or cancellation like they did the year before since new london played in a district that had one. The state may have made a mistake on this but really wont admit it. Bottom line is thou, you need to make sure you are in the top 2 of your district then you don't have to worry about someone else beating someone else to get in or not.

They disregarded Item 1 under Cancellations/Forfeits. There are no hard feelings to New London, but I doubt many Christmas cards will show up in Boone with an Alburnett postmark!

The regular season manual spelled out how late-notice cancellations (CMB and Danville) were going to be handled with regard to awarding points to the affected teams.

Well at least with respect the NE iowa , we are likely to find out whether District 4 was a really strong district or just a really competitive district in a few hours. So rather than having to beat a dead horse, we will have a good idea whether Alburnett belonged or not.

I believe that you will see a minimum of 1 D4 team advance. WV is very disciplined and will give GR everything they need and more. As for EB, I look for them to advance, but they will need to put 4 quarters together.

There is no tomorrow if you do not play today!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT