ADVERTISEMENT

Central IA, 2A Soccer

Oct 27, 2010
DC-G knocking off #7 Pella in Pella Friday night - 10 seconds left in double overtime. Very evenly matched game. Pella is tough and has good team speed. Next ranked opponent for DC-G is #3 ADM one week from today in Grimes. Four of first six opponents ranked in top ten.

I would agree. DC-G seem to have "peaked" right off the bat. They are flying high and putting teams away. It will be interesting to see which substate they end up in and whether they can repeat wins over said teams.

Originally posted by \/\/arriorSoccer:
I would agree. DC-G seem to have "peaked" right off the bat. They are flying high and putting teams away. It will be interesting to see which substate they end up in and whether they can repeat wins over said teams.
Yes indeed, those substates make a huge difference. Historically, DC-G and Norwalk have been linked at the hip (the last three years I believe...3 out of 4?) in substate. No doubt there will be at least one rematch with one of these opponents if they want to reach state again.

Best thing about it is there is some good soccer being played in central Iowa!

Probably looking like ADM, DCG, Perry, Pella, Norwalk, Grinnell will all find each other in one of two brackets representing the central part of 2A.

They pushed Grinnell more north last year with Hudson I think, stuck Pella/Norwalk/Knoxville together and I think DCG/ADM/Perry were all together as well.

I was at the Norwalk/Grinnell game last night. Norwalk scored with .2 seconds left in the game to make it 5-2. I heard a Grinnell player spit in the face of a Norwalk player right after the goal. Any truth to this?

G-Town Tiger, were you there?

After the last round of matches it looks like ADM, DCG, Pella and Norwalk will be the teams to beat in Central Iowa. Perry and Grinnell are fading fast.

These teams will probably hang out at #5 thru #8 in the rankings for the next couple weeks.

Big match tonight - Norwalk at Pella. Should be a fun one and has potential to shake up the rankings and the substate seedings.

Things got kinda wild during the Pella Norwalk game. Some yellow cards and a red card for Norwalk. Pella won 2-1. Norwalk probably did a little better job possessing the ball and Pella probably got a few more shots and scoring threats. Pretty even match up and pretty tense game.

Wonder if it will make any difference in the rankings.

Good game. Poor red card. Hands a straight red card for a small push? Then a big shoving match and not even a yellow?

Pauly may have earned at least 10 free kicks. Refs wouldnt let Norwalk play their physical game. Oh well guess thats what you get with local officiating crews in the boonies.

Throw in Perry upsetting ADM, last night too. Perry is a much different team when they get to play on the smaller size fields. Any idea when substate matchups come out? As it stands now, I believe DC-G is at the top of Raccoon River and Pella at the top of Little Hawkeye?

The brackets are on the iahsaa website. Norwalk seems to have gotten a pretty easy route. To bad for Pella having to go through DCG. Would have been nice to see Pella rewarded for beating the #2 team in the state, but substates rarely seem to make sense.

Who decides these brackets? 0-14 Independence gets a bye. Higher seeds playing on the road. What's up with all of this?

Agree - The officiating for the Pella Norwalk match was not real good. The crew totally lost control of the game in the final minutes when the shoving match broke out. Should have been multiple cards on each team after that incident. Not a good crew for boy's matches in my opinon.

I do believe the red card was justified though - the "little shove" looked to me like a kid running off the field after play was dead (for at least 10-15 seconds) delivers a cheap shot to a kid in the back.

What was more interesting is that Norwalk didn't have to play a man down. Because the AR was not clear on whether the incident happened on or off the field of play. Definitely a break for Norwalk.

Hope these two teams get to match up at state - pretty solid squads although I am not sure either played near their best.

In terms of Norwalk not having to play a man down I think the ruling was that since he had already been given a yellow card he was determined to be off the field already before he was given the red card.

To WaMaCeast I have to agree that it seems a little odd that some teams have such easy roads to state and others don't. Norwalk is the only ranked team in their substate while others have three. Not trying to pick on Norwalk or anything either I just remember theirs better at the moment.

Norwalk was ranked #2 in the state prior to the substate brackets coming out. Norwalk was also chosen to host one of the substates. Not entirely sure how they make it all work out, but this has to have an effect on the state's choice.

Does strength of schedule comes into play? All losses for Norwalk by 1 goal. Beat Waukee, Urbandale, played Johnston/Kennedy close. Last year Norwalk was 12-7 going into the tournament and made it to the finals. Does the state view them as title contenders?

As far as I know, the Pella match result would have had no effect on the brackets.

DCG while plying well and building a solid in count fails to challenge into the 3A class until late in the season. Does this hurt them?

Same for Pella...outside week 1 tournament, their schedule is relatively weak up until the substate bracket release. Lots of wins against teams where the Dutch scored more then 5 goals. Sometimes into double digits. Strength of schedule come into play again?

Not making it into a pissing match by anymeans, but Norwalk has also been to the dance 7 of the last 8 years and run across DCG/Pella/ADM/Knoxville in their substates frequently.

I feel as if Hudson/Wahlert's success has warranted them a "favorable" bracket as well. These being the top 3 ranked teams at the time the brackets were released.

This being said, it's not perfect and never is.

I remember back in the late 90's/early 2000s when Waukee, Pella, and Norwalk all had to play each other to get to state when they were all arguably among the top 3 teams over those years. Frustrating as well because Pella/Waukee brought the title home several times.

Officating for Spencer Tigers games isn't real great either. But they were able to stop what looked like it was going to be a full-on brawl Monday night after Spencer's coach told a coach from Storm Lake to f*** off.

Looks like Storm Lake has caused fits for plenty of teams this year. Beat Spirit Lake and lost to Spencer twice 2-1. Relatively similar stats on QS as well. Could be a very interesting bracket...

Spirit Lake leads the Lakes with an 8-2 record (both losses to Storm Lake). Spencer and Storm Lake are both 7-2 (Storm Lake's 2 losses are to Spencer). Spencer lost once to Spirit Lake and tied the other game, so even if they both win out, the best they can finish is 9-2. If Storm Lake wins out, they win the Lakes at 10-2. Storm Lake plays at Western Christian (won last meeting 3-0), home vs MOC-FV (beat 3-1) and at West Sioux (beat 12-1).

Storm Lake wins 13-0 to win the Lakes conference. Spirit Lake is 2nd and Spencer 3rd, both 9-2-1 with Storm Lake at 10-2-0. Great way to go into tourney time home with Carroll on Monday

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT