ADVERTISEMENT

Halfway There - How Districts Are Shaping Up

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
We are halfway through the season now, and maybe we can take a little guess at how the districts are starting to shape up. I don't think it's worth trying to really crunch the numbers until after Week 7 (with only 5 district games, there's just too many variables with 3 or more games left), but with my RPI calculations and how things have started ... well, why not talk about it, right?

(By the way, a lot of huge games that could very well decide district titles are coming up October 11 ... Xavier/Western Dubuque, Norwalk/Bondurant-Farrar, Lewis Central/Harlan. Assumption/Clear Creek-Amana could be a good one, too.)

D-1
Sergeant Bluff-Luton and Storm Lake are the early favorites out of the blocks, at 4-1. It might be fun to have them facing off for the district title in Week 9.

D-2
RPI-wise, at this point, this is one of the weaker districts in 3A (they don't have a team in the top 16, at least not yet). Dallas Center-Grimes is off to a 4-1 start. Carroll beat Webster City last Friday, and those two are just behind DC-G in RPI.

D-3
Independence
is undefeated and nobody's been able to slow them down yet. Everybody else looks mediocre, at best (even Decorah and Waverly-Shell Rock are down, and hey, Waterloo East has won two games!).

D-4
Xavier
and Western Dubuque look to be heading for an October 11 showdown for the district title. I've been thinking this might be the Bobcats' year, but Xavier's defense gives them a fighting chance. Either way I think they're both in the playoffs (but only one gets a home game!).

D-5
There are some good teams here. Iowa City Liberty and North Scott are both 4-1 going into their showdown this Friday. Assumption is a solid team, too, as well as Clear Creek-Amana, but will they finish strong enough?

D-6
Four teams here are 4-1 or better, but until somebody proves differently, I think Solon is the favorite. I've got them with the second-best RPI in the state right now. I think Washington will be their toughest challenge, and they face off this Friday.

D-7
Another district without someone in the top 16 of RPI. Pella (3-2) has the top RPI at the moment, with Knoxville (4-1) not far behind. There are five teams within .0700 points in RPI. I think Pella probably has the edge here, but they're not quite as dominant as they've been in the recent past.

D-8
Norwalk
and Bondurant-Farrar are off to 4-1 starts, and I figure one of them takes this district. October 11 is shaping up to be a big night in Class 3A across the state, as that's when those two face off.

D-9
It's gotta be Lewis Central, right? They're 5-0 and have the best RPI in the state. Harlan's fourth-best, though, and Glenwood is ninth-best, so there are some strong teams in this district. And yes, it's October 11 when Lewis Central plays Harlan.

Things could change, of course, but I think D-2, D-3 and D-7 will probably have only their district champions in the playoffs, so the seven at-large qualifiers will come from the other six districts. That would mean some district might be able to get three qualifiers, but which one?

d1- storm lake has some very tough games in the near future. they have very formialble teams in heelan, spencer and seargant bluff. see what happens.

d1- storm lake has some very tough games in the near future. they have very formialble teams in heelan, spencer and seargant bluff. see what happens.

Storm Lake is not good. Spencer, SBL, Heelan and Denison. Denison played without star QB and lost to a good Spencer team. Heelan lost a tough one to SBL. Storm Lake and LeMars not in the mix.

Short version: If you don't win your district, you'll need to be at least 7-2 to feel safe about a playoff bid.

Something that’s kind of interesting, at least to me - by this time last year you could already identify the huge RPI advantage D-1 had in 2018, I suppose mainly from a high OOWP. That district isn’t getting the same boost this year. Instead it’s D-9 that seems to have an overall RPI advantage. If this year plays out like last year, there will probably be three playoff teams from D-9.

Storm Lake is not good. Spencer, SBL, Heelan and Denison. Denison played without star QB and lost to a good Spencer team. Heelan lost a tough one to SBL. Storm Lake and LeMars not in the mix.
what happen to denisons star qb....he is the former coaches son.

ok...i found out what happen to charlie webers, star qb for denison--------Charlie Wiebers, who suffered a left collarbone injury in the fourth quarter of last Friday’s Monarch win over Kuemper Catholic at Denison. i suspect he will be out for the season?

ok...i found out what happen to charlie webers, star qb for denison--------Charlie Wiebers, who suffered a left collarbone injury in the fourth quarter of last Friday’s Monarch win over Kuemper Catholic at Denison. i suspect he will be out for the season?

Heelan wins out. Weather will play a major factor Friday night and the LeMars and SBL passing teams will go down in flames. Ground and pound and defense wins out in cold weather and the playoffs. Not these gimmick passing offenses that run illegal pick plays every other down.

Heelan can't run or pass. So weather is not a factor. Better prediction would be they lose out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT