ADVERTISEMENT

Big Week 6 Games

Zowwy21

Freshman
Nov 6, 2013
Actually quite a few important games this week ...

Grundy Center vs North Tama - NT has been able to win a number of close games, but I think I give the nod to GC as I think they have more offensive firepower, but I do think NT D keeps it relatively close.

Hudson vs St Ansgar - I expect St Ansgar to win, but Hudson's D will keep them in it.

Ed Co vs Lisbon - Ed Co hasn't been clicking on all cylinders of late and Lisbon seems to be improving (with their only losses coming to 2 top 10 teams BGM and North Tama). With Lisbon at home I'm going out on a limb and projecting an upset.

Westwood vs Woodbury Central - Don't have a good feel for this one? Thoughts?

Grundy Center vs North Tama - NT has been able to win a number of close games, but I think I give the nod to GC as I think they have more offensive firepower, but I do think NT D keeps it relatively close.

Hudson vs St Ansgar - I expect St Ansgar to win, but Hudson's D will keep them in it.

Ed Co vs Lisbon - Ed Co hasn't been clicking on all cylinders of late and Lisbon seems to be improving (with their only losses coming to 2 top 10 teams BGM and North Tama). With Lisbon at home I'm going out on a limb and projecting an upset.

Rumor has it as I saw on Twitter that North Tama's QB who is also MLBer is out of this game because he got ejected from the game last Friday night at home vs East Buc for throwing a punch. If that is true Grundy will roll in this one.

Ed Co vs Lisbon - Ed Co hasn clicking on all cylinders of late and Lisbon seems to be improving (with their only losses coming to 2 top 10 teams BGM and North Tama). With Lisbon at home I'm going out on a limb and projecting an upset.

Westwood very 1 dimensional, I expect Woodbury central to win by 7 in a low scoring game. 14-7

Rumor has it as I saw on Twitter that North Tama's QB who is also MLBer is out of this game because he got ejected from the game last Friday night at home vs East Buc for throwing a punch. If that is true Grundy will roll in this one.
Oh yeh agree 100 percent with you that if he is out Grundy takes this. Should be a run away. Without him I would guess like 28-7. Talking about staker kid right?

Westwood vs Woodbury Central should be a great game. Westwood has been playing great all season, so has Woodbury Central. Both teams have had great defensive efforts with the exception of Woodbury’s game against Hinton. I disagree that Westwood is “very” 1 dimensional. They have 20 passing attempts on the season and 7 completions, but of those completions 4 have been for touchdowns. This is enough to keep teams guessing and makes them respect the pass. Along with that they have two great runners in Copple and Munoz. Woodbury on the other hand has some really fast and shifty backs. They have put up a lot of points so far. This game all comes down to who’s defense plays better. I see Westwood’s offense being to much to handle and they will win 28-14.

Westwood vs Woodbury Central should be a great game. Westwood has been playing great all season, so has Woodbury Central. Both teams have had great defensive efforts with the exception of Woodbury’s game against Hinton. I disagree that Westwood is “very” 1 dimensional. They have 20 passing attempts on the season and 7 completions, but of those completions 4 have been for touchdowns. This is enough to keep teams guessing and makes them respect the pass. Along with that they have two great runners in Copple and Munoz. Woodbury on the other hand has some really fast and shifty backs. They have put up a lot of points so far. This game all comes down to who’s defense plays better. I see Westwood’s offense being to much to handle and they will win 28-14.
7 completions and 20 attempts in 5 games against teams that are 7-18 combined is probably not enough to really keep me guessing or respect the pass. More power to Westwood winning games on the ground. I would pack the box if my team was capable and force them to beat me via the pass to see if they are capable. Easier said then done of course. Best of luck to both teams.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Averaging 1 completion and only 4 pass attempts a game I would call that very one dimensional lol. Not saying they can’t pass don’t know much about them but they definitely are not keeping teams honest attempting 4 passes a game. This isn’t 1987

Reactions: ballboy21
West Hancock is very one dimensional, pick your poison with who you “try” and stop, better bring a lunch cause you’re work gonna be cut out for you.

Reactions: Hagen51
West Hancock is very one dimensional, pick your poison with who you “try” and stop, better bring a lunch cause you’re work gonna be cut out for you.
West Hancock is a different "Beast" if you will than Westwood. WH has so much talent and so much experience, they are exception to the norm. I predict they win state. no disrespect to Westwood, I just have seen both teams play and believe WC will win the game , but it should be a good one

Last edited:
Not saying they don’t get it done this year BUT how has it been for Britt getting it done over the years being one dimensional once you start playing the True elite teams in the playoffs of the class. Not well, just saying

Not saying they don’t get it done this year BUT how has it been for Britt getting it done over the years being one dimensional once you start playing the True elite teams in the playoffs of the class. Not well, just saying
I’m not sure how many teams WOULDN'T trade the history and place in Iowa High School football with West Hancock/Britt.. just curious, who’s your rooting interest? If you’re willing to say it,,,,,??

I’m not sure how many teams WOULDN'T trade the history and place in Iowa High School football with West Hancock/Britt.. just curious, who’s your rooting interest? If you’re willing to say it,,,,,??
My team I support/graduated from is superior to Britts success. All I feel like I need to say. Just saying being one dimensional over the years has not been a friend of their success

My team I support/graduated from is superior to Britts success. All I feel like I need to say. Just saying being one dimensional over the years has not been a friend of their success
Britt is going to roll through class A. I would bet money that they don’t have a game within 25 points all season.

GoPa is a wapsie guy. So you can debate Britt vs Wapsie as far as class A historical superiority starting now....maybe we can get the thread to rival Regina vs West Branch?

Come on guys you should know he has been a supporter of Wapsie who has there own impressive history. WH looks to be the team to beat but anything can happen.

I would definitely rather have Wapsies success over west Hancock historically. Right now though, Britt is definitely the team to beat, however... West Hancock has played a very mediocre schedule and there only impressive win is over Garner who fumbled five times. I would like to see them play an Earlham who is just as big as they are, or a Wapsie who is more athletic.

Agree - while I'm a die-hard Wapsie guy, West Hancock is the team to beat this year. The combination of their dominate line and RBs will take them far. At this point, I don't see who could slow their rush down. Not giving up on Wapsie just yet as they have some very good skill position players, but they have some line issues to figure out before they can challenge. WV most likely needs to win out in order to make playoffs and cause any noise.

historically. In class A. since 1997 CBSA is the most winning-est program in all the state. regardless of class
https://quinndouglas.com/2019/10/02...all-win-loss-records-for-programs-since-1997/
I’m not a fan of cutting off history at a random year. Why 97? I always look at the one the state has in the stat book that started in 1972 the same year as the playoffs. Lists the schools with the 20 best winning percentages. Also with that being said I’m taking this link as not 100 percent accurate. It’s pry close but not 100 percent because already seen 2 years wrong. Even had playoff appearances off on it

Reactions: falconfanx3
For the record, playoff records … (from the state archives)
CBSA: 50-24
WV:47-24
West Hancock/Britt: 41-26

Obviously, all three very strong programs historically, and I give the nod to CBSA over the more recent history as well, unfortunately only the now really matters in determining this year's best team.

I agree Grundy vs N. Tama, Hudson vs. St Ansgar and EdCo vs Lisbon should be the best Class A games in the eastern half of the state this week.

Grundy (5-0) vs. N Tama (5-0) should be a low scoring slug fest, if it's true that the N Tama QB (Staker) is suspended for throwing a punch against East Buc last week then this should be a toss up. I'd predict a 13-7 game and either could be the winner. So being it's played at Grundy I'll take GC 13-7.

On paper you'd think St. Ansgar (5-0) would win by several scores over Hudson (3-2), but I don't think I'd want to play Hudson now as they seem to be getting healthier (Fulcher back) and playing tougher every week. I still think St. Ansgar wins as Sievert their fullback might be as good or better than the West Hancock backs, but they won't win by 50+ like they have in most of their games. I'll say St. Ansgar 21- Hudson 6.

Lisbon (3-2) seems to have found their rhythm and although very young, most of those sophs and juniors started varsity last year as freshmen and sophomores. Lisbon didn't go 0-9 last year because they didn't have any talent, they went 0-9 because they were probably the youngest team in all of Class A football. Teams better watch out for Lisbon in 2020 & 2021, because there will be a lot of 3 & 4 yr varsity starters on those squads. That being said, I don't know if they have quite enough to beat a solid EdCo (4-1) team that made the semifinals last season. This one will be be a decent game, but being played on turf at Cornell College gives the advantage to the faster skill guys from EdCo (Rochford and Hansel). I'll take EdCo in this one 26-8

Last edited:
Fulcher did not play last week against BCLUW, was on the sideline in street clothes. He has only played in 1 game and not nearly as many snaps as he would normally.

Reactions: IGo42
I got St Ansgar beating Hudson 40-14
I don't think saints score 40 . Hudson has allowed 1 rushing TD all year and that was without Fulcher, if he plays this will be close. also Jochumsen playing again -2 way starter from last year

Reactions: IGo42
For the record, playoff records … (from the state archives)
CBSA: 50-24
WV:47-24
West Hancock/Britt: 41-26

Obviously, all three very strong programs historically, and I give the nod to CBSA over the more recent history as well, unfortunately only the now really matters in determining this year's best team.
CBSA- 28 playoff app. 4-3 in title games
Wapsie- 30 playoff app. 5-2 in title games
Britt- 29 playoff app. 2-4 in title games
Thought I’d throw this out there for the debate also I mean looks pretty easy to me what school is top dog of a close race. Looks like devildogwent Mia on me when my school was revealed lol thought was going to have some good debating going

I would definitely rather have Wapsies success over west Hancock historically. Right now though, Britt is definitely the team to beat, however... West Hancock has played a very mediocre schedule and there only impressive win is over Garner who fumbled five times. I would like to see them play an Earlham who is just as big as they are, or a Wapsie who is more athletic.

It will probably be pretty hard for a team to beat WH in a smash mouth battle this year but a team with good run D who can at least contain the damage from WH on the ground that also has a good passing game could give them trouble, especially in the dome.

It will probably be pretty hard for a team to beat WH in a smash mouth battle this year but a team with good run D who can at least contain the damage from WH on the ground that also has a good passing game could give them trouble, especially in the dome.

I think the two candidates to maybe pull it off could be Earlham. Their destruction of CBSA and hanging with (sort of) VanMeter has peeked my interest. can they throw @falconfanx3?
And perhaps MFL. I have seen MFL last year and on film once this year. They can throw and have speedy backs and play with a bit of nastiness. But i just dont think their size up front would match WH.
Plus they never made a deep run in playoffs, at least in recent memory. So pulling that off out of nowhere is a tough ask.

CBSA- 28 playoff app. 4-3 in title games
Wapsie- 30 playoff app. 5-2 in title games
Britt- 29 playoff app. 2-4 in title games
Thought I’d throw this out there for the debate also I mean looks pretty easy to me what school is top dog of a close race. Looks like devildogwent Mia on me when my school was revealed lol thought was going to have some good debating going

Lets not forget. Saint Albert use to play a 3a-4A schedule in their early yeas (70's and 80's) aka the golden years!

and no one wants to mess with a cinder track panther...They're dangerous...blue moon hangout crew

I think the two candidates to maybe pull it off could be Earlham. Their destruction of CBSA and hanging with (sort of) VanMeter has peeked my interest. can they throw @falconfanx3?
And perhaps MFL. I have seen MFL last year and on film once this year. They can throw and have speedy backs and play with a bit of nastiness. But i just dont think their size up front would match WH.
Plus they never made a deep run in playoffs, at least in recent memory. So pulling that off out of nowhere is a tough ask.

Earham can throw competently (but not well enough to win or compete if it turned to that) A team with size, or who doesn't turn the ball over will handle Earlham just fine.

earlham wins out and then loses first round by 2 scores IMO

West Hancock handles them by 28 + if they matched up

Let’s not forget cbsa gets to “pick and choose” who plays for them

Since budget cuts started happening in the early 90's our recruiting has taken a major hit. Our 4 and 5 star talent use to receive Cadillacs and chromed out impallas. Now due to budget concerns skilled players only receive audi's and bmws for touchdowns. It's a sad sad world we now live in

MFL averages 235 lbs across their front line and that includes a 6'3 235lb senior TE. Their OL & TE are 5 seniors and 1 junior, they also have several good backs and a QB with one of the highest completion percentages in Class A. They handled a very good South Winn team by a score of 44-28 (I believe they led 37-13 in the 4th quarter). Other than the fact that they've never made a deep playoff run, they seem to have the offense and defense to beat some pretty good teams.

MFL vs EdCo in a couple weeks should tell us a lot about both these squads, I'll definitely be watching this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT