ADVERTISEMENT

Bettendorf

cidhawkeye

All District
Jun 21, 2009
Accused by Moline of improper recruiting. Odd that a public school would get that.

Consider the source, Moline coach is a former Pleasant Valley player...where his father coached for many years...there’s no shortage of bad blood in this story.

Last edited:
Actually, I believe Coach Morrissey left Moline to go to Stevenson High School to coach.

First game of year (Bett @ PV) could be interesting, not wise to poke the bear...or dog in this case.

Last edited:
Longtime Bettendorf Assistant Head Coach Kevin Freking was fired. IHSAA did not impose any sanctions against the school.
I don't think Freking was fired I believe he resigned and it had nothing to do with this situation. Not 100% sure of course but that's what I have been told.

And yes don't poke the Dog.

Last edited:
I don't think Freking was fired I believe he resigned and it had nothing to do with this situation. Not 100% sure of course but that's what I have been told.

And yes don't poke the Dog.

Interesting timing to resign. Hopefully it’s not a health issue.

Wow! Just wow! If 1/3 of the Moline accusations are true, I don't see how the Bettendorf coaches are allowed to take the field for first game (or ever again). You have to clean house for liability reasons.

Imagine the lawsuit if a recruited player is subsequently alleged to have sexually assaulted a fellow student at a party. Q: "Principal XYZ did you ever have knowledge that representatives of you school, acting in their official capacity as representatives of your school ordered or encouraged female students to "flit with" or give personal information to the suspect in this case?"

I didnt think the IHSAA had any investigation powers and that is why they turn over complaint to school involved. How could the IHSAA "clear" Bettendorf as the coach says? Too bad about Freking. Hard enough to find good coaches these days, especial volunteer coaches.

Was only told about about 3 senior transfers coming in from Ankeny. One being the QB. Not aware of the other 2 positions.
Ankeny's coach might have problems of his own. He put video on Hudl with audio of himself swearing at kids, calling them retards, etc.

Jordan Spires replaces Kevin Freking as the new Bettendorf Bulldogs Varsity Football Assistant Coach as he will be expanding his coaching duties starting this season. Freking primarily worked as a defensive line coach.

Jordan Spires' full-time job is a Senior Firm Accountant at RSM US LLP as he isn't a school teacher. He resides in Davenport, Iowa.

However, he has football coaching knowledge. He previously served as the Bettendorf Bulldogs Freshman Football coach from August 2014 to July 2017. From July 2017 to June 2018, he was the Assistant Offensive Line Coach for the St. Ambrose University team. From July 2018 to present day, he is one of the assistant coach for the Bettendorf Bulldogs Varsity Football Team. He is really good with working with the inside linebackers.

Spires graduated from Bettendorf High School whom he played football for. He was a four year offensive lineman at Wartburg College in his collegiate football playing days. At Wartburg, he was a two-year varsity letter winner, starting 11 games and was named Captain his senior season. His class compiled a four-year record of 33-10 with two conference championships and one playoff victory.

Kevin Freking served as an assistant coach with the Bettendorf Bulldogs varsity football team for 28 seasons from 1997-2018. He was apart of the 2004 and 2007 IHSAA Class 4A State Championship teams. He was also named as the recipient of the 2011 Iowa Football Coaches Association "Class 4A Assistant Coach of the Year."

But, with Kevin Freking being gone, it's going to be hard shoes to fill as he was a tremendous coach for the team and a great asset to the Bettendorf Community School District. Plus, he was a volunteer coach and not a teacher. He did all this while still having a full-time job and a beautiful family to take care of as well.

Supporting Link: http://bettendorf.k12.ia.us/application/files/8315/6683/9295/8-19-19_reg_mtg.pdf

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT