ADVERTISEMENT

Best Unranked Team?

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
My vote goes to Pella Christian, which has six losses, but has been destroying the opposition lately. Eleven juniors on their 14-man roster. What's your choice?

I would agree with you on rec'ing Pella Christian.

Play in a really tough Little Hawkeye Conf - mostly 3A with Pella, Norwalk, Osky. Had a really great week and a half with tough wins over highly rated 3A Pella and #1 2A Van Meter. Actually, what really surprised me was their 30 point win over a solid Des Moines Christian.

So let’s say PC makes state, where should they be seeded? The were seeded 8th like a few years ago because of their record and beat the 1 seed. They do have several losses, but level of competition compensates for that. Do they get a top 3 seed if they make state?

I would throw Linn Mar in there. Won 7 in a row and just beat Waukee yesterday. MVC is a grind this year and they are playing great lately.

So let’s say PC makes state, where should they be seeded? The were seeded 8th like a few years ago because of their record and beat the 1 seed. They do have several losses, but level of competition compensates for that. Do they get a top 3 seed if they make state?
They have had some great wins recently: Beating Pella by 16, DMC by 30, Van Meter by 15. I think they should be 3 or 4th seed if they make it to State.

The reasoning for redoing how they seed state is because of a Pella Christian, playing in a 3A conference they have a below average record but then do very well at state.

My guess is that they would be a 4 or 5 if they made it.

Reactions: Charles86
Agree with Hawki45 about 4A Linn Mar. They are playing a horrifically tough schedule in the MVC this year, and just took down CIML powerhouse Waukee. I watch a lot of MVC games and there are 10- 12 talented teams in the conference this year, and only a few can be rated because they beat up on each other. The last ten days in the MVC are going to be brutal with Senior, Cedar Falls and Linn Mar all having extremely tough games. Iowa City West just lost against Chicago Whitney Young, which could beat a lot of small college teams. .Some years I think the top of 3A is as good as 4A, but this year there are probably 15 4A teams that could beat anyone in 3A on any given night. I watched Cedar Rapids Jefferson play tonight and that's the best I've seen them play since the Jerrod Uthoff days, but they are buried in the MVC second division. The 4A tourney is going to leave some terrific teams broken-hearted. I'll talk about 3A another time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki45
The reasoning for redoing how they seed state is because of a Pella Christian, playing in a 3A conference they have a below average record but then do very well at state.

PC, if they can fly to Wells, will be the #8 seed...maybe #7 if the chips fall in the bowl! :D

The thing about Pella Christian is that if they are that good and are still seeded 6 or 7, then they are still likely to win.

PC recently added a guard to their roster that makes them a whole lot better as he has some skills they were missing. They will be a tough out in 2A.

BcMoore didn’t know you posted on here, I find it interesting that your system has North Linn as 35 point favourites over Montezuma. I tend to agree with that but I know a lot of people wouldn’t. What’s ur thoughts on that game

PC recently added a guard to their roster that makes them a whole lot better as he has some skills they were missing. They will be a tough out in 2A.
Western Christian recently added a 6'7" 1st team all-stater back to the line up.

BcMoore didn’t know you posted on here, I find it interesting that your system has North Linn as 35 point favourites over Montezuma. I tend to agree with that but I know a lot of people wouldn’t. What’s ur thoughts on that game

Looks like the computer overestimated Montezuma with projecting them to only lose by 35.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Should Indianola be considered?
15-3 in 4a, but play in a 3a conf. Losses to 3a Norwalk.

Don't know much about them. Probably ousted by WDM Valley in the substate.

I feel kind of bad for Indianola. This happens to them in baseball as well. They play a 3A schedule but when it's time to play in their substate they can't play to competition level. I wouldn't call SEP a dog meat team. Their record may not indicate it but they were getting really good at the end of the year. The Glenn boys can play.

Reactions: JustCourtney
SEP was in a lot of games for 3 quarters and then go dry or the other team takes over late. They've gotten better over the season.

Indianola was up 7 going into the 4th. SEP scored 31 in the 4th. Indianola also had their best player foul out and another starter as well.

I feel kind of bad for Indianola. This happens to them in baseball as well. They play a 3A schedule but when it's time to play in their substate they can't play to competition level. I wouldn't call SEP a dog meat team. Their record may not indicate it but they were getting really good at the end of the year. The Glenn boys can play.

Glenn boys – Transferred from GVC...I am late to the party, but explain that move? Is this the old 'I need 4A competition' move or did someone put in the phone call to get them over to SEP with a tax abatement as a carrot? I'll hang up and listen.

Not sure how accurate this is but I was told some colleges recommended they play better competition to improve their stock.

Not sure how accurate this is but I was told some colleges recommended they play better competition to improve their stock.

Regina's run to the State Tournament is even more impressive considering they lost a 6'9" transfer to Iowa City West.
He wanted more exposure and playing alongside Patrick McCaffery will do that I guess.

Reactions: Hawki45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT