ADVERTISEMENT

Best player in eight man?

I like Michael Girres game from GT/RA. Also close behind him is Spect from MMC. It helps that Spect has a couple of big targets to throw it to, but he is a really good runner as well. I'm looking forward to the playoffs to see some athletes from different districts play as well. How good is Jake Danner from ARWEVA? I know they have a couple losses, but he has pretty good numbers. Will there game against Kingsley be a good one tonight?

I was able to catch an Ar-We-Va game this year and I would say Schurke is the difference maker for Ar-We-Va, not so much Danner. No doubt that the Danner numbers are great and he is a quality QB, but the ball in Schurke's hands is pretty dangerous.

Judging by quikstats it looks like Schurke does a little bit of everything. He has some solid numbers! I think ARWEVA matched up with a team from D2 would be a good game to watch. Not sure if that would work out with how they do the playoff system now, but it'd be a good game I'm sure!

Terrell Grant for Meskwaki finished the regular season with 2099 yards and 32 TD's in total offense(rushing-1311 yards/passing-788 yards)-(5th in 8 man) and he also finished the season with 108 tackles(2nd in 8 man).

Michael Girres can play almost any position on the field. If you kick or punt to him there's a pretty good chance he's going to break one open. GTRA is currently ranked 9th, but as far as players go if I'm picking teams I'm taking him first.

Reactions: Cornhuskers10
Pick who ever you like. There's a reason half or more of your top ten NFL players drafted each year are lineman. I'll put an average QB and RB behind a dominant line all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

I'm picking for a HS team not drafting to win a NFL Super Bowl. If I was picking to win a NFL Super Bowl I probably wouldn't pick any of these HS kids in Iowa.

Football is football at all levels of the game. Devin Moore at West Waterloo is a pretty darn talented HS QB with several DI offers. Not many wins for West Waterloo though because they can't block well enough to establish the run. It's not for lack of speed either. Like I said, pick who you want. Girres is a great athlete, no argument to be had there.

No football is a different game at the NFL level. That is why you see successful college athletes fail at the NFL level. Some of the biggest NFL busts or under achievers have been Heisman trophy winners. Back to the original discussion... You said you'd take a average QB/RB with a good line. What's the difference between that and taking a good QB/RB and an average line? I picked Michael because he is more than just a QB/RB. He can also bust a kick/punt return wide open at any time. Having that on your team helps so much. Being able to put up special team points can switch momentum as well.

Reactions: rockchalk2
No football is a different game at the NFL level. That is why you see successful college athletes fail at the NFL level. Some of the biggest NFL busts or under achievers have been Heisman trophy winners. Back to the original discussion... You said you'd take a average QB/RB with a good line. What's the difference between that and taking a good QB/RB and an average line? I picked Michael because he is more than just a QB/RB. He can also bust a kick/punt return wide open at any time. Having that on your team helps so much. Being able to put up special team points can switch momentum as well.
Couldn't be more accurate here IA

Reactions: theIAanswer
I agree the game changes due to the average level of talent and football IQ involved as the game progresses. A big reason you see the lack of success with your Heisman winners is that they tend to be guys who peaked early athletically vs the upside potential and development of other athletes. They look like men among boys in college, then once in the NFL everyone is an elite athlete, and they no longer dominate the way they did in college. The other thing is most of those Heisman winners play for schools with exceptional OL's while in college. The difference between a good RB with a great line vs a great RB with an avg line is as simple as looking at Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith. How many career yards would Sanders have racked up had he been the one in Dallas. Emmit was great in his own right, but what would he have done in Detroit ?

No clue, but I know that if you put Michael on some of these other teams in district 2 that have average offensive lines that they would be the 9th ranked team in the state and 2 seed instead of GTRA. 8 man football is fast paced and high scoring.. Michael has 47 total touchdowns on the year.

Sounds like he should be playing 1 man football. The other 7 around him obviously contribute nothing. Good luck to Michael in the playoffs. I do hope a few of him teammates get to join in on the game here and there. It truly is a great team sport.

Question, who of you can name the player who may break Stanton's Alex Whigham's state record for receptions tonight? Whigham had 191 receptions in 48 games from 2006-09 which also ranks him 3rd nationally all-time, this current player has 184 in 28 games.

Sounds like he should be playing 1 man football. The other 7 around him obviously contribute nothing. Good luck to Michael in the playoffs. I do hope a few of him teammates get to join in on the game here and there. It truly is a great team sport.

Wow... If i would've known I would have to explain myself like this, defend every one of my responses, AND know my NFL history I wouldn't have posted. Obviously GTRA has good players surrounding him, but offensively he is their guy. Their team stats back that up. You are inferring that I think the rest of the guys from GTRA are garbage, which is wrong. They have two great line backers and guys up front that give Michael enough time and space to get things done. Do they have a GREAT offensive line...no. Do they have a BAD offensive line....no. Apologies to any GTRA fans that I offended by saying how good Michael is. That is what this thread is about right?
"BEST PLAYER IN 8 MAN"

Question, who of you can name the player who may break Stanton's Alex Whigham's state record for receptions tonight? Whigham had 191 receptions in 48 games from 2006-09 which also ranks him 3rd nationally all-time, this current player has 184 in 28 games.

I have no idea, but I would love to know this answer!

How pathetic of you to say. He can't help it his name gets called on the majority of the carries. I guess next time maybe someone should tell him to stop breaking some tackles and stop just before the endzone so someone else can score. Or muff a couple kickoffs or punt returns. Instead of saying something like that go watch the kid play. I've watched him play against a couple teams this year (MMC and WBM) and I would put him up against a lot of players. Praise him for his hardwork and dedication like many other athletes around this state deserve.

Wow... If i would've known I would have to explain myself like this, defend every one of my responses, AND know my NFL history I wouldn't have posted. Obviously GTRA has good players surrounding him, but offensively he is their guy. Their team stats back that up. You are inferring that I think the rest of the guys from GTRA are garbage, which is wrong. They have two great line backers and guys up front that give Michael enough time and space to get things done. Do they have a GREAT offensive line...no. Do they have a BAD offensive line....no. Apologies to any GTRA fans that I offended by saying how good Michael is. That is what this thread is about right?
"BEST PLAYER IN 8 MAN"
You didn't say anything wrong here, sir. Great posts defending your opinion. I'm a District 2 fan and understand completely what you mean.

Calm down folks. I was referring to the statement that on any other team said team would be no 2 in the district. Kinda sounds like a one man show when statements like that are made. Just my perception of that statement.

I've praised Michaels hard work and dedication several times throughout the thread. He's a very dynamic player and I truly wish him and his team well.

I believe you are referring to ArWeVa's Derek Schurke. He is going to blow past Whigham's record if he can stay healthy. Pretty good chance of breaking it tonight against Coon Rapids Bayard as well as adding to that record next year as he returns along with a really good QB in Danner throwing to him.

I went to college with Alex. He's an awesome guy and an amazing football player. If he does thats impressive. That ARWEVA/CRB game should be a good one!

I believe you are referring to ArWeVa's Derek Schurke. He is going to blow past Whigham's record if he can stay healthy. Pretty good chance of breaking it tonight against Coon Rapids Bayard as well as adding to that record next year as he returns along with a really good QB in Danner throwing to him.
It is Derek, he had 5 receptions vs. CRB, now @ 189, just 2 to tie now, 11 to become just the 3rd nationally to get 200.

I went to college with Alex. He's an awesome guy and an amazing football player. If he does thats impressive. That ARWEVA/CRB game should be a good one!
T
Back when Alwx was playing, I had many conversations with Drew on this forum, we actually had started an Iowa 8man FB Facebook page together at one time. And the AWV/CRB game was a good one! AWV had to come back from 15 down more than once, 4 players with 2 TDs each. CRB couldn't stop AWV when they went into their power run game when CRB was doing a fair job handling their passing game. AWV defense held them well, CRB relies on the home run to score(they executed a beautiful double reverse pass for a long TD to end the 1st half and answer an AWV TD), they never had a long sustained drive and lost the ball on downs several times deep in AWV's zone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT