ADVERTISEMENT

Best boys XC program of the last decade?

Aug 31, 2004
I was looking over past state meet results and thought this might be a good discussion to get going. I've listed some teams and basic stats below as background data. Personally, I think it's tough to argue against Regina as, relative to its competition, the best program of the last ten years, but would love to hear input from others. I'm especially interested in hearing what people think about comparing teams in absolute terms--for example, are Regina's accomplishments in 1A and 2A equivalent to, say, Cedar Falls' in 4A?

10 State XC appearances
Iowa City Regina (5 state titles, 1 runner-up, 3 third-place)
Monticello (2 state titles, 2 runner-up, 2 third-place)
Cedar Falls (2/1/3)
South Winneshiek (2/2/0)
Ankeny (0/0/1)

9 State XC appearances
Dubuque Wahlert (3/2/0)
Iowa City High (0/2/1)
Pleasant Valley (3/0/1)
Council Bluffs St. Albert (1/0/0)
Mount Vernon-Lisbon (1/2/0)
Spirit Lake Park (2/1/0)
West Des Moines Valley (0/1/0)

8 State XC Appearances
Decorah (0/1/0)
Marshalltown (0/1/1)
Tipton (0/0/1)
BCLUW (0/1/1)
Ames (0/0/0)

Other programs of note
Western Christian (7 app.; 2/1/0)
Pella (7 app.; 2/2/0)
Des Moines Roosevelt (6 app.; 2/2/0)
Wapsie Valley (4 app.; 2/0/1)
Cedar Rapids Xavier (4 app.; 2/0/0)

I was wondering about St. Edmond so I look it up and they have went 7 times (0,0,1). They are starting a tradition over there as they have went every years since 2000 except '02 '05 and '08. The only two years they went before that were '78 and '79. And with Seth Reel coming back next season and only losing 1 senior in Kolacia they should be back next year, regardless of them being 1A or 2A.

I would agree St. Eds has had a pretty strong run. I think either in 05 or 08, they probably could have added an 8th appearance but were in one of those districts were the top 5 teams were probably state caliber teams (1A) and they ended up 4th or 5th in the district.

Yes it was 08, we got 5th, missed 3rd by 12 pts-toughest boys district we have been in since I started in 1999. 02 missed by 5 pts, 05 missed by 3 pts. That is 3x missed by a total of 20 pts. If its, ands, and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bottom line, we didn't perform well enough those years and the deserving teams made it.

I think you just backed up that you could definitely be considered one of the top teams of the decade having been 20 points from being 10 for 10.

Thanks, but the other argument would be we have only trophied once. Either way, I am really proud of the runners and I have been incredibly blessed with hard working kids that are even better people. And I bet most coaches would say the same for their kids. I have also had the pleasure of meeting outstanding student athletes from, not only our conference, but around the state. Iowa high school cross country is on firm ground!!!!!!!!!!

I agree about Regina - no arguing their success - not only the past decade, but probably the decade before that too!

I have to say, I was pretty surprised to see that list, to be honest with you. Really makes you realize how lucky you have been to have that many hardworking kids. But, if the question is "the best" - Regina, hands down, no questions asked. 18 years in a row - top 4. To me, that is just staggering. . . . absolutely crazy. I can't believe they have done that well, every year, for almost 2 decades.

Another tidbit to toss out:

Regina has always practiced in the mornings prior to the start of the school day, a practice that dates back to when the late Coach Brown (RIP) used to do so because it was the only time that worked with his work schedule at the U of I.

It takes dedication to come in and practice that early, day in and day out, as a high school kid. I've never been surprised by their success, as all the kids I knew back in high school and those currently there today are very focused and committed to excellence and maintain the program's status as a championship program.

Really appreciate all the great things you've said about Regina Cross Country. We've been proud to carry on the traditions Coach Brown started and incredibly fortunate each year to have groups of kids that can't wait to take there turn. Often overshadowed by the boys, this was the 10th consecutive year the girls qualified, no titles but (0/1/3/2) 6 years in the top four we're pretty proud of that too.
Pretty amazing considering it all started from a guy who was the sprinters coach in track and openly admitted he knew nothing about distance running when he started the cross country program in 1987. The network of coaches throughout the state that Coach Brown met at meets and coaching clinics helped him build his program but I have to say the first thing he taught me about coaching is what has stuck with me always: People don't care how much you know, unless they know how much you care.
Coach Brown was the most genuine person I have ever met, and I guarantee every person who ran for him will tell you they will remember him more than the championships.

I also think Coach Brown would be as proud if not prouder of what his runners do with their life after they leave Regina. The current staff has done a great job of maintaining the values and principles that were begun when the program started in the late 80's

Considering the coaching staff is all (last I checked) former Regina athletes coached by Brown, wouldn't think it would be any different from how he did things. Lots of outstanding people have come out of the Regina program when you look at what they've done in life.

Grinnell has been strong the last few years, as has Knoxville with numerous state meet appearances in 3A.

Isnt it truly amazing how coaches that have a passion toward running always get the most out kids and it shows at the state level every year, Ive seen a great deal of people that ran a day in their lives think they can coach the sport but they are detriment to the kids more than they are a help, kind of a sad state of affairs that most schools fill in the position with teachers that want to gain a little extra money. Thank goodness for the good ones like Brown, Bussan ect that give kids something to look forward to during their school days.

Didn't know or even meet Coach Brown, wish I would have. To add to Coach Bussan's story, not only is he good for the kids, he is good for fellow coaches. Competing in the same conference, you would think he would keep ideas to himself. When I first started, he was more than willing to give advice and help direct a fellow young guy. I remember asking why he was willing to do so, he said that he is in it to help all runners, not just his own. Also, if he helps me and we get better, then he has to get his kids better to beat us. Obviously, both have occurred over the past 13 years. Not to mention he has become a good friend and is a wonderful human being.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT