ADVERTISEMENT

BB Season 12-13

Moby72

Gold Member
Mar 20, 2012
Can't wait for the season to get started. Who looks good from this summer's teams?

SE Polk looked very good at a summer camp I was at in NW Iowa. Aplington Parkersburg, Central Lyon, North Linn were some other schools there who looked like they had some good teams in the smaller classes.

Western Christian should be great again this year...have the classes all been figured out yet? i've heard that Esterville and Western wont both be in 2a this year.

Girls union doesn't have anything out yet. Don't know if you can get an idea from the VB classifications or not.

This post was edited on 9/13 8:32 AM by Moby72

VB and BB classifications will be very similar. Western will be 2A and ELC will be 3A

I believe the only way they wouldn't be the exact same for vball and hoops is if 2 schools have a sharing agreement which pushes them up a class in one of the sports--but not the other. I doubt this will affect classes 5A-4A-3A. It would only come into play if a couple of smaller schools share vball but want their own bball teams.

Quick picks of teams to watch from Central Iowa...

5A--SEP/ Ankeny/ Waukee
4A--Winterset and Ballard
3A--??? Not sure anyone in central Ia will be good in this class
2A--Panorama and DMC
1A--??? (See class 3A)

Watch out for AP. Very aggressive, physical, and deep team. They can put a lot of pressure on you defensively.

Ankeny will not be much better than .500 this year. SEP will be good and Mason City will be good. DM East will also be good this year with everyone back including their best player who didn't play last year because of injury and two more "move-ins".

Is the CIML going to split into 4 divisions for basketball? If so--do the metro schools get to play each other twice, and only have to play the suburbs once? How did they set up a schedule for all the teams in the CIML??
I have a hard time believing Ankeny will be .500 this year. Maybe next year when they split into 2 teams, but they have so many kids to choose from they are bound to find 5-7 girls that can win 14-16 games...right??

Originally posted by Mr.Walleye:

Watch out for AP. Very aggressive, physical, and deep team. They can put a lot of pressure on you defensively.
This senior squad has definitely put in alot of work over the summers from 3rd grade on. It's been fun watching each one of their games develop over the years. Hopefully they get the opportunity to make it all worthwhile.

I believe the CIML will be 4 divisions for bball and the metro teams will play each other twice. I think there will be a metro confernce champ with those 7 teams and the other 11 teams will have a conference champ between them to plus 3 division champs (I don't know exactly because it was hard to follow the "understanding the ciml" article in the register). Ankeny plays in a division with Waukee and SEP they could lose each of those games for 4 losses, Ames, MC, East, and Valley will all be good too along with a better than average dowling and Indianlola teams. They "could" win 14-15 games but losing everyone except Robson they could also only win 10.

Gotcha...makes a little more sense now. And you're right if ankeny has to play those schools--they may lose a few more games. DMEast play any tough schools outside their metro opponents? Do they play SEP?

Understanding the CIML conf. setup this year is like trying to understand the brackets in the year-ending tourney in the movie BASEKETBALL...impossible!

I have to agree with hawkbb101... Ankeny lost a lot and could be looking at a down year. But they are Ankeny and they have a lot of tradition. They also have a great coach and he will figure out how to make his team competitive. They always play hard on defense and you may see them slowing things down and keeping scores low.

I'm really looking forward to watching SEP again this year. I'd heard they did very well in a number of camps over the summer. They will be tested early with a number of big games in the first 3 weeks of the season. Included in that stretch are Des Moines East at East, Iowa City High at SEP, Mason City at SEP, WDM Valley at Valley and Waukee at SEP. They will also host Ankeny during that stretch.

In central Iowa I think the top teams will be SEP, Mason City and Waukee. Waukee lost their best player but they have several very good players back. Mason City, like SEP, has a lot returning. I also think WDM Valley will be right there. They were very young and athletic last year. I look for them to be in the mix. I'm on the fence when it comes to DSM East. Their best player was out all last year and they return everyone, so they could challenge as well.

Outside of central Iowa, I think Iowa City High and Muscatine will both be very good.

We'll have a new coach at SEP this year but I'm hoping to see a lot of the same things on the court as we've seen the past 2 seasons.
This post was edited on 9/18 11:27 AM by SEPRamFan

Good analysis RamFan, agree with the assessment on the West Half for (now) class 5A. Waukee will be good, and Valley will be more experienced and deeper.

Mason City and Ankeny are in similar situations in having to replace perimeter scoring. I think Ankeny will surprise (if that is possible for Ankeny to sneak up on anyone) with Winters inside, if they can find someone to penetrate and score from the outside.

SEP is scary deep, and their biggest challenge will be settling into a rotation that wins games and keeps players (and parents) happy. They could likely go 9-10 deep regularly.

For the East half you have to assume that IC West will reload around Dysterhof (sp) and CR Wash will be good again. And also a heads-up to those playing North Scott, with Borrison at the helm they are young and rough around the edges, but they will get after it and surprise some teams.

Also, a note on the 4A, Waverly looked really tough at Wartburg, they are big and will be good in a half court game.

This post was edited on 9/20 12:43 PM by RamBling

Mr. Walleye, I will watch for AP this year. I went to college with some guys from AP and always have an interest in their sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT