ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball begins!

I'm here Husker. We are looking Ok after 7 games. We are like everybody else- always things to work on but I like the potential we have. Just hope we don't face LB down the road in the tourney- you guys should be tough. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Curious why Manson is so slow to report scores to the Union. Any chance you could get someone to text or email the score in shortly after games? Those of us out of the area would appreciate it. Thanks.

Big Game Tomorrow Night in the NICL West 14th Rated Grundy Center Hosting 13th Rated West Marshall. Should be a good one. Grundy Center beat West Marshall in State Center 36 to 33.

Heck of a ball game Tuesday night between Poky and Manson. Cougars led by 4 at half and Poky rallied to take the lead in the 4th before a last-second layup forced OT. Cougars are playing pretty solid ball right now especially if they show they can take the #1 team in 3A to OT. They certainly proved me wrong.

Btw this is going back a bit in this thread but I wanted to share something I hadn't seen at the varsity level before. Has anyone ever seen a team's players (starters) intentionally let another team score so that they could quickly push the ball up the floor each time and get off a quick three and then if they got the rebound off a miss immediately kick it back out for another three when leading by 50 points? I watched it happen so I'm not exaggerating if you're worried about that for those that may care or who may want to convince us that that wasn't what happened.........it was.

I remember the Gladbrook Reinbeck girls a few years ago ran a style very similar to Grinnell College. They also set a record with a game vs West Marshall where they won 122 to 118 in 2 OT. That is the only team I remember running this style. Obviously if a team is up that much they probably shouldn't have the starters in.

anyone @ the Unity Christian / Western game that can give a recap?
IMO, Unity should have just dropped to #2 after this loss.
Slow half-court pace favored Western. Limiting 2nd chance points made the difference.
Balanced attack & Western shot a lot more free throws & made most of them

Western has been on fire since Christmas. Avenged an early loss to Spirit Lake by 42.
Their size is really a problem now that they've improved breaking the press. Often have 2 6' wings with 2 6'3" posts in the game.

Unity starting 5 is good, but no depth. All hinges around PG Zomermand's outside shooting and post Kiel dominating inside, esp offensive RB put-backs.
Wings only look to pass inside or drive baseline from the corners.
I'd advise any mismatched team to pinch Kiel with someone always behind her in the post, play way off the ball in the corner to discourage the baseline drive, & take your chances with Zomermand being cold.

Last edited:
West Branch Bears make history with a 44-42 win over Durant & make 1st trip to state since 1972

Iowa City Regina returns to the State Tournament continuing their unbeaten season. That makes a trip to State 3 out of the last 4 years for the Regals.
They defeated North Linn 50-47 last night and will face Manson-NW Webster in the opening round.

West Branch caught a big break to sneak into the State Tournament. Their buzzer beating put back of an air balled 3 pointer was after the clock ran out, but was allowed, giving them the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT