ADVERTISEMENT

Awful

chibull2000

Freshman
Jan 20, 2007
What an awful forum this has turned into. I don't know if its because they are not separated into individual class or if its because football is going on, but there is just no discussion going and and its awful.

Even the football discussions have really dropped!! Many like to read, but not post. Suppose if topic gets "juicy" enough more will join into it????

Should get a whole lot better when Luke breaks the discussions into separate classes, and we get closer to the opening games. Heck, practice just started and we can't even check rosters because Quick Stats is down. I would love to hear posters talk about their teams, their conferences, etc. The newspaper sports pages are all football, pro and college basketball, and surrounding state's girl's basketball. It sure is our "dead period."

I will throw something out: Is Wahlert's center (the Iowa signed that I can't recall) able to practice? As a follow up question, without him, clearly Wahlert is not the best team in the state, but are they good enough to win in 3A?

I wasn't planning on separating by class. Talk me into it (I am willing to consider 4A/3A and 2A/1A)

Yes, the forum is slow but it doesn't help when I lob a softball question out that gets 100+ views and no responses. I can only ask so many questions and not get answers by all the lurkers.

Luke, why wouldn't you separate basketball into forums by classes? You do it for football. A lot of us follow basketball more closely than football. I possibly could live with 1A/2A and 3A/4A because so many 1A and 3A teams play some teams in a higher class, but the individual class
forums lead to better discussions, IMHO. The posters in the various classes often "know" each other, or get to "know" each other. It is easy to lay back and lurk if you don't know the teams being discussed or who the poster is. I really want this board to be lively, and most of my posts are general posts just to keep things interesting. To answer makelovenotwar-- yes he is practicing and will most likely play pretty early, if not right away.

Luke, why wouldn't you separate basketball into forums by classes? You do it for football. A lot of us follow basketball more closely than football. I possibly could live with 1A/2A and 3A/4A because so many 1A and 3A teams play some teams in a higher class, but the individual class
forums lead to better discussions, IMHO. The posters in the various classes often "know" each other, or get to "know" each other. It is easy to lay back and lurk if you don't know the teams being discussed or who the poster is. I really want this board to be lively, and most of my posts are general posts just to keep things interesting. To answer makelovenotwar-- yes he is practicing and will most likely play pretty early, if not right away.
I wasn't planning on separating by class. Talk me into it (I am willing to consider 4A/3A and 2A/1A)

Yes, the forum is slow but it doesn't help when I lob a softball question out that gets 100+ views and no responses. I can only ask so many questions and not get answers by all the lurkers.
Being one of the "lurkers" all i can say is i look on here to get insight into the better players and teams that play in or are coming to play in my area (Davenport). I wish i could contribute to some of the conversations but im really not that knowledgeable on most of these teams. I just like to get a heads up on who the better teams/players are. But i do enjoy reading others insights so please keep it up.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I think Luke should keep it as is with basketball because many conferences have multiple classes. For example, the Siouxland has 1A, 2A, & 3A. Lakes Conference has 2A & 3A (I think). Go over to the Iowa City area, I'm assuming you have the same thing, though it may be 3A & 4A.

In football, they play in districts by class, so I understand the reasoning.

Just my $.02

I think Luke should keep it as is with basketball because many conferences have multiple classes. For example, the Siouxland has 1A, 2A, & 3A. Lakes Conference has 2A & 3A (I think). Go over to the Iowa City area, I'm assuming you have the same thing, though it may be 3A & 4A.

Just my $.02

Thank you for posting this. I'm not an Iowan and had never been able to figure this out. I mostly check this forum to keep up with Augustana University recruits, follow how their seasons are going, and occasionally ask questions about the recruits themselves to get perspectives from people who actually get to watch the kids play. But there are times when I'll know which team a kid plays for or even which conference he plays in and can't figure out where in the world I should be checking for info about him until about halfway through the season when I finally sort it all out. Had no idea it was because conferences have teams from different class sizes.

That certainly does complicate sorting it out, as mentioned.

Just my $.02
Yep, the Heart of Iowa has 2A and 3A schools. Until this year they had a 1A too, Colfax-Mingo left the conference.

I just feel with social media drawing kids away from the site, I'd rather have one more popular board than four so-so popular boards. That was the plan but again, I can be swayed.

It's your call, Luke, but at least a 1-A with 2A forum and another 3A and 4A combo would be better than one big board. Let's give an example. As soon as football ends, posters will start posting their own rankings of teams in classes. I have to admit, being a 3A- 4A guy, I can't even remotely know who are the good teams in 1A, for example. I realize there are a lot of good players on the teams, and great coaches and fans, but unless the team being talked about is geographically nearby, I really will have essentially nothing to contribute, so I'll just lurk. And a poster or two from 1A, 2A has said as much about the larger school classes. On a one or two- class forum, it is much easier to get into a discussion about a particular topic. I'm an old sports journalist, and all the "white space" between posts in the new Rivals reconfiguration still gives me a little of the creepy crawlies-- but I'm getting used to it. It's like having a dance for fifty people in Carver Hawkeye Arena. Smaller venues just make posting more comfortable, I think. But, I'll go along with what the majority and the moderator think is best. After all, it is "all our board" and I know we all love basketball. Besides, I guess the individual threads will be their own little forums on whatever topic/team/individual is being discussed. And I do enjoy reading everybody's post, no matter what it is about. I'm on board with whatever is decided.

Luke this is fine. Split boards aren't going to generate more conversations. Thanks for doing what you do. You give people a place to talk Iowa High School Hoops.

Thanks for the feedback. Others, feel free to chime in.

My goal is to not alienate readers by just having one forum.

I'm just a lurker in basketball, but love to talk football. I agree with the mixed class statement made earlier about conferences having multiple classes. I would probably recommend that the segmented comments in here occur under seperate topics/headers. I am much more likely to see a whole list of topics and read several and maybe even comment on a few if they are all on one page. It could also entice the real basketball posters to comment more frequently to keep their thread top of the list. In football I only look at the 2A and 4A pages so for me breaking everything out isn't that important..

Thanks for the feedback. Others, feel free to chime in.

My goal is to not alienate readers by just having one forum.
Would it work to have different, longer term threads for the different conferences? Outside of a few nearby schools we play OOC, I couldn't tell you who is in the different conferences. When I see discussion about a couple of teams, I'm lost until someone mentions their conference. If the conferences were given their own threads, it would be easier for me to go back to check on OOC teams or possible post season opponents, but still allow good discussion about a smaller group of teams.

My $.02.

Maybe rather than classes or conferences it should be areas. Like NW Iowa, SE Iowa, SW Iowa, NE Iowa. Mainly want info from teams our team may play, or teams that have played teams our teams may play. But not sure that will boost the forums either??

Just have a 1A, 2A, etc. thread in this main forum maybe? Easier to navigate quickly and more likely to generate cross talk between conferences perhaps.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
Option A...split into two forums 1A/2A and 3A/4A
Option B...keep it as one all inclusive group
My preference is Option A but I would be OK with Option B

Would it work to have different, longer term threads for the different conferences? Outside of a few nearby schools we play OOC, I couldn't tell you who is in the different conferences. When I see discussion about a couple of teams, I'm lost until someone mentions their conference. If the conferences were given their own threads, it would be easier for me to go back to check on OOC teams or possible post season opponents, but still allow good discussion about a smaller group of teams.

My $.02.
Start them up. I love the idea.

Reactions: Kevin Techau
the one thing i don,t like now.is this new forum..what is missing you cannot see who is looking or reading like you use too...i just hate they did away with that feature..the forum was fairly active when i joined..not its allmost dead compared to years ago.

the one thing i don,t like now.is this new forum..what is missing you cannot see who is looking or reading like you use too...i just hate they did away with that feature..the forum was fairly active when i joined..not its allmost dead compared to years ago.
The forum was upgraded and nothing much I can do about that as it was a Rivals thing.

I find it interesting that a lot of people are complaining about the board and not doing anything about it. I understand there are other outlets with social media but if people post (and not have 100 views before getting any replies), the board will flourish.

As a note for readers, you can complain about the terrible job I do (the posts will be deleted) but I make very little per month with ad revenue. That means a popular/dead free forum doesn't change my bottom line. I personally want it active b/c it is a great thing for the site and to just be a part of overall.

The site as a whole is not my full time gig either so I'm not sitting around to reply to every single post. I wish there was more money/potential for money in the prep scene but I am just unsure if there is after running this site for nearly 20 years. I do still love it in and trying to help promote high school athletes across the state.

Luke this is a great site and you do a great job. You listen to opinions, ask for feedback and help promote conversation, which I appreciate.
Thank you.

@Pinehawk Thanks for the nice words. Like I said, I enjoy helping the preps throughout the state get the pub they deserve.

Right now, I am keeping it at one forum. Many people are complaining about how dead the forum is and I don't see how breaking it into separate forums would help that.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT