ADVERTISEMENT

Are Manson NW Webster track stars all homegrown?

ghost80

Varsity
Feb 24, 2009
I don't know the answer so I've got to ask the question. It seems odd that St Eds who is always a force in track is suddenly a nonfactor and during a time when Manson NW Webster has begun actively recruiting in Fort Dodge as an alternative if you don't want to send your kids to Fort Dodge High or can't pay the private tuition for St Eds.

I will agree with Soyo from another thread. It has been a dark year for St Eds in athletics. Makes one wonder how much Clark carried the whole program in recent years.

I believe all the MNW kids are all homegrown. I don't know of any who would be there from SE or FDSH. Secondly, to suggest Clark carried SE's whole program is a bit off base. This is a track thread and Nick was not out for track the last 3 years, maybe not even his frosh year, I am not sure. Third, dark year for SE athletics? Top 16 in fball, 5th in xc after moving up a class, 10th in wrestling, probably a top 4 finish in tennis, and the golf team may make it to state today. I imagine most schools would take that type of year. Bball and track were down, can't argue with that, but not a bad year overall. Fball finished the same round of the playoffs last fall as they did Clark's senior year. Basketball, did not, as he led them to 2nd place finish. Nick was a phenomenal athlete that contributed in a huge way to SE's success during his years there, but there were other fantastic athletes as well. And if you know Nick, he would be the first to tell you he had a good cast to work with in all the sports he played, and that it wasn't just him. He was a great athlete and a wonderful teammate that had a lot of class.

And by the way, the suggestion this title makes is unfortunate. Why not give credit to the athletes and coaches and leave it at that. Why do people have to look for some negative reason as to why people succeed? Odds are, they worked hard, were well coached, and had a lot of support along the way, and that is why they are successful. Good job Cougars, keep it up.

Manson NW Webster has it all coming together. Markert and Eischeid are high level talent.

Markert wins the Long Jump, Eischeid the 400 open and then they will be right up there in any relay they decide to have Eischeid anchor. At least to me, that's looking like at least 40 points. Will that be enough to win the team title?

As for FD St Ed's. Clark was their top athlete, but not in track. I'd say Neil Flattery led that team for several years.

Weren't they the school that had the billboards a few years back trying to recruit open enrollment? I think it's a fair question to ask.

the answer to you BK is, yes, they are the school that has used billboards. I too think its a legitamate question.
with the exception of football, the other sports mentioned are not exactly the main stream power sports that st eds has done quite well at the last couple years. Has their talent trickled down to the other sports because of lack of playing time? Or is the interest by the kids just towards other sports?
Is a Manson/St Ed baseball game gonna be a barnburner this year? or a smolder?

I will concede that due to the billboards, maybe, it is a fair question. That said, I don't know of one student at MNW from SE or FDSH - except one fball player. And to say that SE hasn't done quite well the last couple of years in the mentioned sports, XC was 5th this year, 3rd the year before, 7th in 2009, and has qualified 10 of the last 13 years. I have to defend my runners:)

You guys did nail it. The billboard is exactly what I was talking about when I called Manson NW Webster actively recruiting in Fort Dodge. Matter of fact, I called my bookie tonight and told her to let me know when Las Vegas puts "Manson NW Webster using this years track success (either in word or picture) on next years Fort Dodge billboard" up on the board. Regardless of the line it's a sure bet I'll take because it will be too juicy of a marketing tool for the Cougars to pass up.

FYI, SEXC haven't you figured out yet that my occasional cheap shot at St Ed's is actually a form of flattery?

This post was edited on 5/17 11:12 PM by ghost80

Sorry, I had not. Thanks. The new add idea would be good. However, right or wrong, I don't think parents will transfer their kids for a successful track program like they do for other sports. Shouldn't Flattery have been capitalized??? :)

SEXC,

I love your sense of humor!

Here's something that might surprise you. If I had kids (I realize the thought of second generation Ghosts is scary) and lived in Fort Dodge, the odds are that my kids would not go to Fort Dodge Senior or Manson NW Webster. The would probably go to St Eds. The reason is simple. It's not about the sports or religion but about the teachers. The teachers at St Eds are all there because they want to and for the right reasons. While the same can be said for the majority of the public teachers there are a few bad eggs there for the wrong reason and that is one thing kids do not need to learn.

Ghost80 your assumption that ALL ST. Ed's teachers are there for the right reasons and public school teachers are not is fascinating....would love to see the data you have collected on this!!

All MNW are homegrown- obviously Herzberg was a move in... what separated us from the other schools they could have chosen I guess you would have to ask them.
I do know this- we get a lot of kids out of the FD school system- not because of a billboard or radio spot (although I think they are helpful)- but because people check out our school- like what they see- and kids are treated the right way here- as I am sure they are in other schools.

If we are smart- new billboards and ads will be up and running with the next couple of weeks. MNW has to compete- as schools combine all around us- we are out here on an island as far as enrollment.

Originally posted by se xc1:
And by the way, the suggestion this title makes is unfortunate. Why not give credit to the athletes and coaches and leave it at that. Why do people have to look for some negative reason as to why people succeed? Odds are, they worked hard, were well coached, and had a lot of support along the way, and that is why they are successful. Good job Cougars, keep it up.
Well coached? We're talking about Jeff Anliker here. Need I bring up his FDSE football coaching career?

Originally posted by soyo4321:

Originally posted by se xc1:
Well coached? We're talking about Jeff Anliker here. Need I bring up his FDSE football coaching career?
NO

In regards to anliker, coaches can improve just like athletes. It would appear that he has, and yes he's had some talented athletes in recent years. His lack of coaching success at SE 10+ years ago was not wholly his fault.

Soyo,
Cmon man use just a tiny bit of logic here. If you want to say that the SE Fball lack of success during his tenure was 100% his fault, then it stands to reason that the Manson track success during his tenure is 100% his fault. An intelligent person would come to the conclusion, in both situations, that a combination of coaching, athletes, and work ethic factor into success and lack there of. And Cody hit the nail on the head, people tend to get better at their job over time. PAY IT FORWARD Soyo. Find a different way to get rid of your negativity.

Although I could shed some definite negativity on your coaching career, Szalt, I am choosing not to, as this is a thread about MNW. If you like, I could start a thread about your coaching career and that would be my way of getting rid of my negativity; just let me know.

Given the stats of Anliker's coaching career at FDSE, I don't care if he has a few good years as a track coach somewhere else, stats stick around, and Anliker's football stats, unfortunately, stick around with him and even more important stick around with FDSE. Fortunately, Mr. Dick Tighe has turned the football program around into a winning football program. Football aside, FDSE track still beats the shenanigans out of MNW track.

Yeah, let's talk about the 3 times out of the last 13 years that SE boys xc didn't qualify for state, there got the negativity out of the way for you.

Anliker didn't have the athletes to succeed at SE circa 99-02. I'm not saying he was the best technical coach, but he was a fine guy and passionate about what he did. It's hard to succeed as a coach when you dont have talented athletes, and even harder when what you do have isn't exactly an embodiment of hard work. SE football went 0-9 the year before Anliker arrived, so it's not like he inherited a state caliber program. An outsider can say all they want about stats and what have you, but to put the blame for SE's lack of success in track and football on just one coach without having all the information is just stupid.

Too much emphasis gets put on coaching at the hs level, for both success and failures. Especially in a smaller program, one stud can make a coach look like a genius, or lack of talent can make the coach look like a schmuck.

Very true bdrube...... I have used the exact same methods to coach state championship teams as well as teams that did not score 10 pts at Districts...... Funny how a collection of talented, hardworking kids can make it look like a really good plan.

As the old saying goes - give me a 6-10 high jumper, and I will make him a 6-8 state champion.

Originally posted by cc coach:

As the old saying goes - give me a 6-10 high jumper, and I will make him a 6-8 state champion.
"$2,000 huh? I know a guy who can turn that into 800 bucks. I'll give you a hint...it's me."

I wonder what Soyo4321's coaching record looks like? I have been an assistant to coach Anliker for quite a few years. I know he puts the time in, works hard, and has become a good football coach. Not going to pretend to know a lot about his St. Ed's tenure- not a lot of good comes out of living in the past....unless you desire to use the past to spew venom on chat boards.....some of us move on to more mature things in life.
It's just always funny to hear people come on these boards and tell us all how it should be done. Anybody who has coached has had a tough go from time to time....you own it, move on, and get better- Coach has done that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT