ADVERTISEMENT

Ankeny transfer Arland Bruce v. Tom Keating & IH$AA

seems very odd she did not move the whole family.. something very weird about this

seems very odd she did not move the whole family.. something very weird about this
I believe they said they were going to at a later date with him going to Iowa but who knows. Anyways the association haven’t been consistent with anything. Bad look for them.

Hearing a Centennial family turned in Bruce's situation to the IH$AA.

Andy Umthun, the Ankeny AD, was hired as the Xavier AD by Tom Keating, who was the principal at the time. Interesting situation there.

Tom Keating spent all of his career in private Catholic education at Wahlert and Xavier.

You have to wonder if Bruce would be cleared if he were going to school at Dowling or Xavier.

Hearing a Centennial family turned in Bruce's situation to the IH$AA.

Andy Umthun, the Ankeny AD, was hired as the Xavier AD by Tom Keating, who was the principal at the time. Interesting situation there.

Tom Keating spent all of his career in private Catholic education at Wahlert and Xavier.

You have to wonder if Bruce would be cleared if he were going to school at Dowling or Xavier.
Pretty interesting a Centennial family would say something, when Centennial played with 3 kids last year ( Starting QB, Starting CB, and Starting WR) who all lived on southside of Ankeny and got some made up address on the north side of Ankeny to play at Centennial.. O the irony.

Mahomes getting involved. IHSAA not looking good with their handling of this situation.

I know some people may think this is cool and all BUT it will hurt the cause way more than help it. The IHSAA will have to dig their heels in now for sure! They can’t look like they changed their decision based on popular or especially celebrity opinion. They would look even worse. So this does NOT help.

I believe the DMPS kids can go play at another school because DMPS is essentially not offering football due to DMPS schools being 100% online.

I am very surprised Iowa Football did not help take care of this and make it a smooth transition for Bruce to play in Iowa. Yes, I am suggesting Iowa Football should have helped make this work for Bruce and his family. It happens at all the big time programs - take care of your recruits.

I believe the DMPS kids can go play at another school because DMPS is essentially not offering football due to DMPS schools being 100% online.

I am very surprised Iowa Football did not help take care of this and make it a smooth transition for Bruce to play in Iowa. Yes, I am suggesting Iowa Football should have helped make this work for Bruce and his family. It happens at all the big time programs - take care of your recruits.
Ehh......that would be tampering with a recruit, would it not? And name one big time program that has done a similar thing for a high school recruit.

Well, IHSAA shouldn't allow them by their own reasoning. If they think the transfer is for football, and the entire family doesn't move...then how are they now going to tell Bruce no, but everyone else yes?
They've backed themselves into a corner.
Should have just said, 'this is a unique year' and anyone who has a district not offering football may transfer.

Iowa football needed to advise the Bruce family on how to make this move work out for him to be eligible right away or put them in touch with someone who understands the IHSAA rules so this could have been a clean move-in. It became a messy situation in a hurry. Boosters help families all of the time in Power 5 athletics. I don't think Iowa participates in the bags of cash for recruits like in SEC football, but Iowa could have easily got involved behind the scenes here to make it work out.

Bruce should have enrolled at Dowling, Xavier, or Regina and he would be playing. It would have been taken care of. Alumni of these programs or people with vested interest would have helped find them an apartment, help pay their rent and tuition, and it would be a non-issue.

Well, that's not true. Ankeny boosters have all the money available that any private school does.
And, he still is not playing. It's because IHSAA took particular interest in his case.
I'm still not sure why they singled him out.

Ok. Ankeny stakeholders blew it then. Bruce family simply needed to get their own apartment in Ankeny in the mom's name and they would have been fine. Should have brought the rest of the family with. Someone could have floated them $ through the football season. Shady? Yes. But it happens throughout the country.

Too many holes in the case when you say you are living with someone and paying them $100 rent.

Reactions: franky1967
Well, that's not true. Ankeny boosters have all the money available that any private school does.
And, he still is not playing. It's because IHSAA took particular interest in his case.
I'm still not sure why they singled him out.
Either because he's an Iowa recruit, or because he went to Ankeny, and either of those options made someone salty in the IHSAA. True story.....

Reactions: Pinehawk
Not much consistency here...how do all these guys in central Iowa get deemed ineligible while the Whitaker kid at Sioux City East keeps playing? He lives in South Sioux City, NE with his brother when hes not living with an East football coach..fair is fair??

Just crazy to me that they are not consistent w this. How can they crack down in Des Moines and just let it go elsewhere? The East kid moved here without parents to play basketball..period. They talked him into playing football. (HE EVEN LIVES WITH A FOOTBALL COACH!!!) How can that fly?

Now do the others have to go through appeals process or are they going to just make them eligible? I probably know the answer, but what is the thought process for them.

will depend on the language of the ruling and if they feel the reasoning for the eligible ruling fits the exact same situation at the others. If it doesn’t match with the individual scenarios being differentiated then it won’t impact the IHSAA and they will have to go to court to try to get a reversal of their own unique situation. Everyone assumes that all of these things are identical and they are not. Some have jumped through required hoops that others have not to make their move legitimate while others are simply “here” but didn’t take all necessary actions to meet the requirements.

will depend on the language of the ruling and if they feel the reasoning for the eligible ruling fits the exact same situation at the others. If it doesn’t match with the individual scenarios being differentiated then it won’t impact the IHSAA and they will have to go to court to try to get a reversal of their own unique situation. Everyone assumes that all of these things are identical and they are not. Some have jumped through required hoops that others have not to make their move legitimate while others are simply “here” but didn’t take all necessary actions to meet the requirements.
That’s my guess. Make them go through the appeals process. By the most get through it their season will be over.

Don't sound so heartbroken over it.....
I’m not heart broken. It doesn’t impact me or my school. Do I think the whole situation is dumb, yes. The IHSAA should have handled it right away. Now they have egg on their face. We’ll see where it goes now and if they make the rules a little more specific instead of general and open for interpretation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT