ADVERTISEMENT

All Iowa City 3A championship game

Aug 29, 2009
City High defeats Valley to play home town rival West High who beat CR. Kennedy today for the 3A state championship!

All "Secular-Progressive" Johnson County final

1A-2A both have Parochial champs !!!

Catholics vs Convicts

This game was all Tanner Schilling...wow. I don't know if I have ever seen a high school keeper that could have even come within an arms length of that 2nd goal. Good lord. 2 solid half field shots by the defender as well...one of the cross bar. one in the back of the net. Great to be in attendance regardless of the delay due to the storm. Great closure to the season!

Actually, there are two goalies in the state that I think could have reached his second goal. Unfortunately for City, Matt Jackson and Andy Holte both play at West.

I thought it first goal looked a lot easier than it should have been. He The left back for City was behind him, so it wasn't an offside like City players protested, but I think that the defender signaling for an offside led him to give up on the play. Also, while Schilling put a solid move on Duncan Howard-McGuire (since he fell down), I think he would've had time to get back into position to give himself a chance.

I am a student at West and Coach Brad Stiles is my neighbor, so I spent time in his room today watching film of the game. Bob Brown, the defender that struck the bar from 45 on the free kick, wasn't supposed to take that kick originally. It was going to be Joe Ryken, who hit a running scissor kick (off of a volley) off the bar and in from 20 yds in the regular season meeting to tie the game. Stiles yells "Bobby hit this for me" and some of the City fans start yelling "you're stupid Stiles, he'll never get close". Truth be told, Bob practices shots like that after practice just for fun. Would've been a heck of a goal had it struck it on the free kick. The 80 yard goal to ice the game made up for it though!

Anyways, West is going to have an uphill battle next year. Of the 25 player regular season roster, 16 were seniors (9 or which were starting-caliber) while there were 8 Juniors (Chris Clegg, Tanner Schilling, Brian Wall, and Ben Reasoner saw some time while Clay Walker, Brad Guymon, and Evan Brooks played in mop-up) and one sophomore (Alex Troester, who is going to be the next Tanner Schilling). Mueng Sunday, the freshman moved up for the playoffs, will see some time next year and overall, I think Sitles will coach the team back to the playoffs with a 14 or 15 win season. The big question mark will be at Goalkeeper. Junior-to-be Tyler Nerad could get the starting nod and Sophomore-to-be Ryan Holte (Andy Holte's brother) could get some time as well. I won't be surprised if Stiles converts one of his extra field players though. I know Walker played in Goal for his club team for a stretch. Should be interesting to see if West can go for six!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT