ADVERTISEMENT

Akron-Westfield

Oct 22, 2014
They were bumped up to 2A for volleyball and will be for basketball, does this mean the same for softball? If so, this opens up the gates for 1A teams at the state softball tournament. Will their dominance continue into 2A?

This post was edited on 10/24 11:56 AM by Hawkeye2010

Originally posted by Hawkeye2010:
They were bumped up to 2A for volleyball and will be for basketball, does this mean the same for softball? If so, this opens up the gates for 1A teams at the state softball tournament. Will their dominance continue into 2A?

This post was edited on 10/24 11:56 AM by Hawkeye2010
Yes, I'm like 98% sure that the numbers are the same across the board, so if they're 2A for volleyball/basketball, they will be 2A for softball.

This bump in class has actually happened to Akron-Westfield a couple of times in the past. Here is Akron's record by year and their finish at state:

2003 (34-5) 1A sixth place

2004 (32-3) 1A third place

2005 (39-1) 2A state champs

2006 (38-3) 1A state champs

2007 (37-3) 2A state runners-up

2008 (37-5) 2A tie third - rain.

2009 (28-9) 1A fourth place

2010 (37-1) 1A state champs

2011 (36-1) 1A state champs

2012 (35-2) Upset by LeMars Gehlen in substate.

2013 (28-2) 1A state champs
2014 (38-0) 1A state champs
As you can see, in 2005, 2007, and 2008, Akron was class 2A. In those years they were bumped up, they finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. So there has not been much drop off in success for Akron when they move up a class.

However, I think this could change this upcoming season. And the main reason I think that is because of pitching. It's not really a secret that Akron-Westfield had one of the most dominant, if not THE most dominant, pitching duo in the state. They pitched two pitchers for the past couple seasons: Dana Hedlund and Kayla Tindall. Both of these pitchers were extremely good (Hedlund had a .09 ERA in 15 appearances while Tindall had a .56 ERA in 21 appearances). But both of them were seniors and are now off at college. Only two other girls on Akron even saw pitching time, and they combined for a whopping 6 and 2/3 innings TOTAL this past season. Yes, Colt and company have a knack for bringing up amazing pitchers when another amazing pitcher graduates, but I just don't see how it will work this year as it has in the past because of the extreme lack of experience for the younger pitchers who will now start.

Graduation is going to hurt more than just in the pitching circle for the Westerners, though. In total, they graduated 5 seniors, most of whom started and contributed both offensively and defensively. From an offensive perspective, they graduated 5 of their top 9 hitters.

So, Akron-Westfield might not be the same dominant team they have been in the past this upcoming season. But I don't think it will be because of the bump up in class.

Of course, Akron might just surprise everyone and be just as dominant despite the losses -- dynasties tend to rebuild even when it seems like they cannot. We will have to wait and see.

They'll be damn good, no doubt about that. You don't stay on top that long by luck.

However, just because they're bumped for volleyball and basketball doesn't mean they'll be bumped for softball. There are quite a few schools that combine for softball only. These schools would bump the bottom of 2A back down into 1A, so it's possible that A-W will still be a 1A school come next summer for softball.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind if they stayed up in 2A for softball, quite honestly. Tindall was great in the circle down at state (and the whole season), and obviously their 'choking up' tactic seems to work. I just didn't care for the constant substitutes on defense. There were a few times when a girl would come in for one defensive play and then get taken out. To me that's just playing head games with the other team and it's not how the game is suppose to be played. If you want to sub in players on defense every other inning, totally fine. But don't constantly pause the game for one at-bat..

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind if they stayed up in 2A for softball, quite honestly. Tindall was great in the circle down at state (and the whole season), and obviously their 'choking up' tactic seems to work. I just didn't care for the constant substitutes on defense. There were a few times when a girl would come in for one defensive play and then get taken out. To me that's just playing head games with the other team and it's not how the game is suppose to be played. If you want to sub in players on defense every other inning, totally fine. But don't constantly pause the game for one at-bat..
You play to win, yeah? And if it's helping them win, and is legal, then isn't that exactly how the game is supposed to be played?

The constant defensive switches isn't what wins them games and I think that's clear in the stats. I just don't agree with the attempt at playing head games. Taking a timeout as a team to stop momentum is one one thing, but people go to watch softball. Not sit and watch him switch players in and out and in and out every other play. The game isn't to be played that way... You make changes in your defense when you really feel it's necessary. And typically after the change is made, it stays that way for longer than two plays. The whole pausing the game, putting a player in for one or two outs, and then pausing it again only to take that same player out, is just annoying. But...you're from NW Iowa so I can see why you'd side with them.

Yes they will do just fine. I do think come tournament time the road to state could be a little tougher going through the WVC in Regionals. The WVC has sent two different teams to state the last two years and only MVAO has lost more than two starters. I think 2A in softball will be extremely tough especially in Northwest Iowa.

The constant defensive switches isn't what wins them games and I think that's clear in the stats. I just don't agree with the attempt at playing head games. Taking a timeout as a team to stop momentum is one one thing, but people go to watch softball. Not sit and watch him switch players in and out and in and out every other play. The game isn't to be played that way... You make changes in your defense when you really feel it's necessary. And typically after the change is made, it stays that way for longer than two plays. The whole pausing the game, putting a player in for one or two outs, and then pausing it again only to take that same player out, is just annoying. But...you're from NW Iowa so I can see why you'd side with them.
I wasn't really siding with them. I watch Akron-Westfield play LeMars every year, sometimes more than once a year, and I understand how annoying and awkward it is to watch all of the defensive changes.

But just because it's annoying to fans and the opposing team doesn't mean it is a bad strategy, right? I was just saying that, looking at it completely objectively/on paper/not actually watching: if it is helping them even in the slightest bit to win the game, and it is legal, wouldn't it, technically, be how the game is supposed to be played? Do what you can to win?

Kinda a deep thinker, pay close attention to wording, messing with your head kind of thing haha. Nothing more or less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT