Heelen
Waverly
Wahlert
Xavier
Benton
DCG
Indianola
Harlan

There are some great match-ups. I think that Perry or Ballard could knock of Harlan in #8. DCG vs Winterset will be a nice one in #6 as well. Benton will have to beat two teams with great individual players in Jackson from Grinnell and Veldhuizen from Osky. Both those girls have the ability to drop 30-40 points and carry their team to a win. I think that Indianola is the biggest beneficiary of the 5 class system. We will see how they pan out in the next couple weeks.

That is a nice break down.
It look strange to me that Benton and Xavier aren't in the same regional my gosh 30 miles apart and Xavier has 9 losses.

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:
That is a nice break down.
It look strange to me that Benton and Xavier aren't in the same regional my gosh 30 miles apart and Xavier has 9 losses.
With both teams ranked in the top 5, I wouldnt think the state would put them in the same region. Xavier plays in the MVC and most of their losses were in district play against 5A teams. Besides, I am not sure Benton could win against Xavier, and Benton is probably the only team in the Wamac in both class 3A and 4A that has a chance to make it to state, but will need to play well to make it there.

I understand what your saying Xavier plays all 5a schools and gets a break.But why does Washington or Keokuk have to drive all the way Xavier's home town to play.Do we need that big of a break.
I guess rewarding a school to get all the advantages with 9 losses is a little out of reach.IMO
But that why they play the game nobody knows. Solon may knock them off.

I will agree with the driving distance issue, but I think that we will see more of that with addition of another class. I dont know how much comes into play with driving distances with the Union deciding on where teams go. I dont know if I would term it as they rewarded Xavier for the 9 losses as much as not wanting to put two top 5 teams together, but I can understand your reasoning. Xavier has 9 losses but it was in a very tough MVC this year, plus losses to teams like Dowling and Assumption. As for Solon maybe knocking them off, I would probably have to list that as one of the top upsets of the tournament trail. Solon was a .500 team in a weak Wamac conference. But one never knows.

CRX plays very hard and has some outstanding coaching I want to make that clear.
So if the Girls union use the same seeding policy has the Boys I bet CRX would be looking for a 4a Conference to play in really fast.

I think if the boys union would have made the MVC/class 4 go to district play like the rest of the state, they would have probably joined a new conference. The only conference around here is the Wamac which is 3A/4A, probably some teams there would not like to see them.

There is some great games coming up know doubt.
It just really looks strange that the 2 teams that don't have to play a rank team is Heelan and Xavier.

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:

There is some great games coming up know doubt.
It just really looks strange that the 2 teams that don't have to play a rank team is Heelan and Xavier.
Do you think that is more due to the area and the lack of ranked teams, or maybe, and this is just coffee speaking, that those two schools have supplemented their recruiting budget with an "influence" budget?
wink.r191677.gif

I do agree there are some good games coming up, I think for me the most interesting will be region 3 out here. I am not sure who to pick between North Scott and Wahlert.

I guess that is one way of doing it get all the top girls at your school and nobody else will be rank around you.JK

Ok coach'd help me out im looking thru the 4a&5a Regional championship games Tuesday the only team playing at home is a 13~9 (5th rank) Xavier team and I know its at Kennedy the school that probably about ever person at CX drives by everyday and has practice in many of times.
Why is this game not in Iowa City?
4th rank Indianola has to travel to Atlantic to play the 7th rank team.
This just doesn't look right at all.Its the regional final.
Heck IC West and High have to drive to CR to play each other.

Friday, I am not sure why the state picks their locations, I stopped trying to make sense of their decisions a couple of decades ago. I wouldnt think that all the gyms in Iowa City were being utilized that night, it definitely would have made more sense. It might as well be at Xavier for a home game, those two schools are only a couple miles apart.

I dont know how people haven't been talking about Harlan?I think Harlan has a very good chance of winning it all! They have had high scoring games and only loses are LC and they could of beat LC. And if they don't make it this year they have a pretty good chance of winning next year with only losing 2 seniors this year

Went 6 for 8, not bad. Indy and DCG didn't get it done. Looks like a very strong field. I like the Harlan vs Benton match up in round one!

Originally posted by Who Are You:
Went 6 for 8, not bad. Indy and DCG didn't get it done. Looks like a very strong field. I like the Harlan vs Benton match up in round one!
I dont know much about Harlan, other than they have a new coach after Vis left for Kennedy. They look like it is a young team with only two seniors and their only two losses were close ones to Lewis Central. Looks like a good game, I saw Benton a few times this year, and while Madison Weekly is one of the better guards I saw this year, they have a freshman girl Wiebel who is one of the better freshman girls I saw this year. It seems like teams would concentrate on Weekly, which usually did not work, and others would step up. It was too bad she broke her arm last year before the tournament, I think that team was a stronger team. Overall, looks like a good tournament coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT