ADVERTISEMENT

4A Top Teams....

Nov 30, 2002
Have to do something to pass the time while we wait for schedules to be released.
Give your thoughts. Here are the tops teams by District in my opinion....

Fort Dodge, Webster City

Decorah, Waverly SR, Western Dubuque

North Scott, IC Liberty

Xavier, Pella, CR Washington

Indianola, Bondurant-Farrar

Lewis Central, Glenwood, Winterset

Tough to predict how some of the teams who are dropping down will do.
I think out of that group the top teams are - Lewis Central, North Scott, Fort Dodge, Xavier/Pella

Have to do something to pass the time while we wait for schedules to be released.

Fort Dodge, Webster City

North Scott, IC Liberty

I think out of that group the top teams are - Lewis Central, North Scott, Fort Dodge, Xavier/Pella

I'd go with Indianola, Carlisle and Norwalk in District 5. Can't really argue with the rest of what you have listed

4a will be glad davenport assumption is not in 4a, they would be dominate yr after yr in 4a...north scott and xavier will probably be top dog in 4a most of the time

Assumption's opportunity was last year but due to their predictable offense they blew it. They were a senior dominated team and arguably their best junior transferred out a couple of months ago. Even in 3A I am not sold on their chances, can't see them overcoming West Delaware or Solon to get to the dome. They do however have a good passing QB but he is wasted on their old school offense.

If you coming what Red Raider and Break the Rock said you probably have you 16 playoff teams.

4a will be glad davenport assumption is not in 4a, they would be dominate yr after yr in 4a...north scott and xavier will probably be top dog in 4a most of the time

I would throw Lewis Central in there as well. I’m curious to what everyone would have for a
pre-preseason top 10 in 4a.

Fort Dodge, Webster City

North Scott, IC Liberty

DC-G would like to have a word... ;)

DC-G would like to have a word... ;)
I hear ya and agree....DCG will definitely be in the mix. I think on paper Lewis Central has the most talent of any 4A school. That being said the eastern part of the state has been dominant - Xavier, Western Dubuque, North Scott- for many years now.

I think Decorah and WSR will be improved this year. I think WD will be down a little from last year after losing a stud QB and best receivers. It will be a dogfight between those 3. Marion could surprise as well.

Xavier, Pella, CR Wash. and CCA - I think this may be the most balanced district in 4A. Everyone knows Xavier and Pella will be good. Xavier lost virtually their whole offense and their best skill guys (who went both ways). They have outstanding coaching and I'm sure they will reload....but I don't see them being as good as last year. I actually think Pella wins this district. CR Wash dropping down is the wild card in my opinion. No shortage of athletes and some good size. CCA has under performed the last couple years. Bollers is now gone but they do have some really good skill guys....they will be a factor in this district.

North Scott, IC Liberty, Fort Madison - I see this as a two horse race with Fort Madison being the next team pushing for a play off spot after a great season last year. Liberty has some really good athletes and their program could be a rising giant......I just don't think they are there yet. North Scott has been solid for years and finally got over the hump last year. They lost a lot on both lines and their QB....but they have a ton of skill returning and 8 starters on defense. They will reload and be the one to beat in this district. Fort Madison had a great year last season but Washington and Grinnell really handed it to them.

My top teams out of the East - North Scott, Pella, Decorah.....

I'll let somebody else break down other parts of the state.

Reactions: 3buzzmable
district 8 could be interesting, with glenwood, dcg, lewis central, and winterset in the mix...i doubt council bluffs tj will be much of a threat . the new kid on the block is desmoines hoover, but from what i saw in the past and their onfield performance , they probably wont be a factor in the district 8
race. i am not sure what a lot of these teams return this year, but lewis central returns 7 on offense, they were 8-2 last yr with both loss,s to harlan. the play off loss to harlan in the quarter final was by 7 pts..i would say lewis central would be my early pick, but this district could be very interesting

Last edited:
It is a shame what Lemars has become. Tons of talent in that town.
yes,,,,i can remember they were a factor in d1, but sort of fallen off the wagon...is it the coach? i have seen pics of the stadium, wow, one impressive footprint, probably one of the nicer stadiums in iowa....they are in a tough 4a, that does help matters either

Last edited:
yes,,,,i can remember they were a factor in d1, but sort of fallen off the wagon...is it the coach? i have seen pics of the stadium, wow, one impressive footprint, probably one of the nicer stadiums in iowa....they are in a tough 4a, that does help matters either
I am not sure on the coaching. I do know they got a new one about 5-6 years ago and things turned downward. Now they have hired a new coach for this coming year.

And that stadium is legit. Very nice looking and probably one of the best in NW Iowa for sure.

They have a new coach this year who has had a lot of success in South Dakota, it will be interesting to see what he can do.

district 8 could be interesting, with glenwood, dcg, lewis central, and winterset in the mix...i doubt council bluffs tj will be much of a threat . the new kid on the block is desmoines hoover, but from what i saw in the past and their onfield performance , they probably wont be a factor in the district 8
race. i am not sure what a lot of these teams return this year, but lewis central returns 7 on offense, they were 8-2 last yr with both loss,s to harlan. the play off loss to harlan in the quarter final was by 7 pts..i would say lewis central would be my early pick, but this district could be very interesting
Harlan never should have beat LC last year, and yet they did TWICE. I truly believe losing Coach Jim Duggan may be a blow that LC never recovers from. The current coach is a good guy and knows strength and conditioning -but with the high level D1 talent -Power 5 athletes coming out of that school LC should have more to show in the post season.

Harlan never should have beat LC last year, and yet they did TWICE. I truly believe losing Coach Jim Duggan may be a blow that LC never recovers from. The current coach is a good guy and knows strength and conditioning -but with the high level D1 talent -Power 5 athletes coming out of that school LC should have more to show in the post season.
i agree, i thought lc should have beaten harlan too, but harlan just seem to have a rabbits foot every game they played last year . thing that surprised me about harlan , they were mostly underclassmen, and the offensive line only average around 205 lbs...they played against some huge lines , and seemed to hold there own... ..i just wonder if harlan and lewis central will be scheduled against each other in non district play??? harlans touted passing game caused teams problems last year..

I hope they play, It would help them both. Other the the "Wood" not much going on in Western Iowa. Harlan continues to answers the bell. Surprising performance at State, felt bad for the multiple picks.

I hope they play, It would help them both. Other the the "Wood" not much going on in Western Iowa. Harlan continues to answers the bell. Surprising performance at State, felt bad for the multiple picks.
good luck for lewis central in 4a, hope they do well...i watched them play a few times until 95 in person, and a few games online

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT