ADVERTISEMENT

4A Substate Finals- Scores and Comments

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Should be interesting. I'll cover the Cedar Falls vs. Dub. Hempstead and the North Scott vs. Dub. Senior games. I predict extremely tight contests.

Final- Cedar Falls 62, Dub. Hempstead 56 A.J. Green 33
Final- North Scott 53, Dub. Senior 52
Final- Muscatine 58, Linn-Mar 53 Joe Wieskamp to state
Final- Waukee 39, WDM Dowling 36
Final- WDM Valley 34, DM Hoover 31
Final- Sioux City East 63, CB Abe Lincoln 59
Iowa City West vs. CR Kennedy- late
Final- Johnston 87, DM North 79 in OT

Last edited:
Reactions: Kraftwerk
Cedar Falls 62 - Dubuque Hempstead 56, Final.

Last edited:
I'll bet Valley- Hoover was a nail-biter of an exciting game. In the substate finals you do what you have to do to get to state.

IC West 49, CR Kennedy 40. Wide open 4A field.

Muscatine- Linn Mar was a heck of a game. Back and forth the whole time. Hutcheson is a heck of a player too, hes got a great pull up jumper at the top of the key which is nearly unstoppable. I think Wieskamp ended with 36 and Hutcheson ended 35. Proud of the Muskies for making it to state.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Seeding looking like this?
1. IC West
2. Cedar Falls
3. Johnston
4. North Scott
5. SC East
6. Waukee
7. WDM Valley
8. Muscatine

After having seen Weiskamp and Green twice this year. Also, having seen McCaffery in Summer league last year.

Those 3 guys have an abundance of talent and being able to see them put up big numbers in 3 completely different ways is fun to watch.

Green scores 33 against Hempstead while Duax face-gaurded him most of the night. He made at least 3 highly contested 3ptrs, at least 3 from NBA range, and the most impressive was either the contested shot from top of the key a few feet behind the line with Duax in his face trailing by 2 with Hempstead on a solid run or him coming hard off a screen for a fadeaway catch and shoot that he nailed. I know at least 5 times in the game he took shots that I would yell at kids for forcing and hit every one of them. He is the reason rules are meant to be broke.

Weiskamp was someone I got to see play the last few years, but Friday was the first time I saw him this year. He was incredible last year, but this year he is on a whole other level. He would quietly get 20-10 last year. This year I watched a formidable Dav North team literally focus solely on making him take contested shots and letting anyone else beat them. He managed 34 points and 20 rebounds in that game and making 0 3ptrs during that game. He made all the plays when it mattered and it seemed like no matter how much momentum North would get he was going to lead Muscatine back. I saw Harrison Barnes and Doug McDermott. I believe Joe Weiskamp is more dominate than either of those guys were. The best HS player I have seen in my lifetime of watching which is about 15 years.

McCaffery was on a limited amount of time and he did struggle against Dav North in summer league. ICW won it by 2, but mainly on the back of Seybian Sims. In the time I did notice his ability to make agile moves with contact and off the dribble was intriguing for someone his height. The surprising explosiveness around the rim was solid also. Then you have to respect his outside shooting, which leaves you vulnerable to drives and drive-and-kick assists. He is sort of middle man between Weiskamp and Green. He has a solid balance of many tools. Lacey Watson from North handled the challenge of guarding him pretty well, but he still managed 10-15 in the game. He did an excellent job of shutting down players on the defensive end for ICW as well. I think he obviously needs to add some beef, but he will bring a versatile set of skills that very few kids his size possess to college.

Good observations. This is a really balanced 4A field, and I think the championship is more more wide open than in most years. No bunnies. Whoever wins the championship will have earned it. The four big 4A conference were all good this year, and three CIML, 2 MAC, 2MVC and SC East out west show that balance.

Reactions: MagicCoach
Seeding looking like this?
1. IC West
2. Cedar Falls
3. Johnston
4. North Scott
5. SC East
6. Waukee
7. WDM Valley
8. Muscatine

North Scott seemed to be the only big miss in your guesses here. I really think seeding in basketball is almost irrelevant from a competitive standpoint unless there is some cataclysmic upset during substate play. There are more desirable match-ups for teams, sure, but it's not like baseball where you will face a significantly different team in round 1 compared to round 2 depending on who is pitching. As disappointing as it is to see 2&5 get matched up as 3&6, you still have to beat quality teams every round, especially this year with so much more observed parity/balance in 4A. Should be a really good tournament this year.

I completely agree with your assessment EHS1505. You have to beat everyone in front of you. But I wish I understood how they come up with the seedings. Seems like it would have been pretty easy to move two teams around so teams who played during the year don't have to do that again. The whole idea of the state tournament is getting to play someone new. It feels as if they are trying to direct the outcomes in a certain way. Everyone is playing for some type of bragging rights, why wouldn't you want to match CIML teams against the east and/or west side of the state?

But your most significant point is every team that makes it to the tournament is good and you have to beat everyone in front of you. Good luck to all the teams in the final 8 in 4A. Should be a fun one to watch!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT