ADVERTISEMENT

400 Hurdles @ Drake Relays

Oct 4, 2007
Only the top 8 times from all classes make it into this shootout. Do you think anyone can compete with Dunn(Linn-Mar) for the title? If so who?

Unless someone hits a hurdle, it would take a very impressive showing for anyone to beat Dunn. Assuming they both run, I could Boesen and Efkamp each running in the low 53's.

On another note, any idea if Dunn has a chance to beat Dustin Avey's 51.94 Drake Relays record or 50.96 Iowa HS All Time record in the 400 hurdles?

I think it's safe to say Logan Klein has very little chance at picking up a Drake Relays qualifying time....let along challenging for a top spot.

Biggest question is what happened to Dunn Sat. night?
This post was edited on 4/19 7:31 AM by DogBoyRy

According to the Gazette, he'll be sitting the next 3 meets, which includes a meet tonight at Prairie that will probably be canceled.

Linn Mar really cracking the whip here.
3 meets for druck driving by a under age kid - wow.

I agree with DogBoyRY. I feel this is a slap in the wrist just to sit out 3 meets. Drinking and driving is one of the most frowned upon offenses, especially in high school where it is preached not to do. Had it been just a possession ticket I would be fine with 3 meets. I feel it really doesn't send a message at all.

I'm guessing the fines and court sentences will send the message. Not condoning drunk driving by any means, but I'm sure the kid is getting his fair share of a punishment.

Originally posted by purple&white101:
I agree with DogBoyRY. I feel this is a slap in the wrist just to sit out 3 meets. Drinking and driving is one of the most frowned upon offenses, especially in high school where it is preached not to do. Had it been just a possession ticket I would be fine with 3 meets. I feel it really doesn't send a message at all.

For starters, 3 meets would be 1/3 of the track season. Linn Mar's code of conduct says that if an athlete breaks that code, first offense is 1/3. Since this is Dunn's first offense, it follows along with the rules.

Secondly, slap on the wrist? Do you know what the Drake Relays are? Do you know what that means for someone to be a repeat winner at the Relays and an opportunity to become one of the fastest runners in Iowa's history on one of the biggest stages in track and field? Kyle no longer has that opportunity because of the choices he made. IMO, Drake is in many ways a bigger accomplishment than State, simply because you are competing against every runner in the state. To have that taken away is a pretty major blow IMO.

What bothers me is not the message that LM is sending Dunn, but the message that Dunn is sending all other runners that are busting their tails every single day of the year just to sniff the Blue Track. To me, the message Kyle just sent was a slap in the face to every runner who has ever dreamed of running on the track. All the ability in the world and he throws it away just to get drunk. Really makes me sad.

Originally posted by bdrube:
Saul, long time. But yeah, I agree with you everything you just said.

I know right? Its been a few years, but this was something that really struck a cord with me. Maybe its because the 400 lows was my race or the fact that I busted my butt to get to Drake in the lows and it was the best memory of high school athletics for me...or the fact that I'm an alumnus of LM. About every part of this story makes me pretty angry. I was actually pretty pumped to get a chance to congratulate Kyle on all of his accomplishments and on shattering my records, but now I'm not sure what I would say. Might sound a bit harsh, but oh well.

LM has already entered extra meets to use up his time out he will run in the Lion Relays and Drake
This post was edited on 4/23 11:29 AM by jrw007

If true, then what kind of message does that send to the student body at LM? I am hopeful that it is not true.

If this is true and the athletic dept is trying to get around the rules his parents should step in and keep him out of the Drake Relays. This just shows that being a good athlete can get away with almost anything.

Posted where? I've been watching the Drake Relays site to see high school start times (I could care less about dunn) but haven't seen anything posted yet.

jrw- What meets did Linn-Mar add to make Dunn eligible? Did they get
rained out since he is not entered?

dowjones- This makes the second good athlete from Linn-Mar who did not get away with almost anything during their senior year.

Here are the 8 people and their lane assignments. 1 Alex Korner SR CB- T Jeffer
2 Maurice Terrell SR Pleasant Val
3 Scott Oman SR Valley- WDM
4 Ben Boesen SR Dowling C- W
5 Nick Efkamp SR Madrid
6 Nick Lucas SR Linn-Mar
7 Zach Manders SR Clear Crk-Am
8 Reid Zimmerman SR Elk Horn-Kim
This post was edited on 4/23 10:45 PM by soyo4321

The link is on iowaprepsports.com

I'm glad LM doesn't give in to the star athlete.
This post was edited on 4/24 10:34 AM by dowjones1

I was not aware that LM entered a meet on Saturday in order to allow a runner to participate in the Lion Relays. Please accept my apology for calling you out in an earlier post. It was not reported in any of the local media and I do not have access to inside information like you do.
I will go the the meet on May 3 now just to check out the stadium and see how fast the track is. Do you have any results for Saturday?

Drinking and driving and he's only out a few meets? If he went to my high school, he would be sitting out the rest of the season.

Even without Dunn, I still think the 400 hurdles will be a great race.

The 400 hurdles is going to be a great race. Any of the runners in the race will have a chance to win it, the same as if Dunn were in the race. I think that it will take a perfect race and weather permitting a sub 53.5 to be the champ. My three favorites are Boesen, Efkamp and Oman, whoever makes a mistake won't be able to recover to beat the other two runners. The other hurdlers are all deserving no disrespect to them, just my opinion.

BTW, poor form on the part of LM if they entered a meet on Sat to count towards the 1/3 of the season for Dunn. Great message by the leaders of young adults.

Originally posted by Saul T Bauls:
Originally posted by bdrube:
Saul, long time. But yeah, I agree with you everything you just said.

I know right? Its been a few years, but this was something that really struck a cord with me. Maybe its because the 400 lows was my race or the fact that I busted my butt to get to Drake in the lows and it was the best memory of high school athletics for me...or the fact that I'm an alumnus of LM. About every part of this story makes me pretty angry. I was actually pretty pumped to get a chance to congratulate Kyle on all of his accomplishments and on shattering my records, but now I'm not sure what I would say. Might sound a bit harsh, but oh well.

Bit of a follow up to this. I got to watch Kyle compete tonight and also got the opportunity to meet him. I'll say this, like I said, the kid has all the talent in the world. I'm not sure I've ever seen a runner compete like him. I feel like his lapse in judgement earlier this season was something that he has and is learning from. I expect to see some amazing things from Kyle at state track...more specifically, I would love to see him set the all class mark in the lows in his final high school meet.

Finally, I'll say this, he is a high schooler and he made a stupid mistake. It happens.

He has zero chance of setting the state record in the 110's - in fact he hasn't even won state or had the fastest time the last two years at state.

Where was it referenced that someone thought he could get the 110 HH record?

Apology - missed the low part. He has about a 5% chance of beating the state record on the 400 lows which is the event with the shortest history in the state meet and about 3 states in the country run..

As a spectator I hope? I mean graduate already. I kid, I kid. From what I understand, Dunn's been nursing a pretty badly bruised heel. However, I hope he comes to state with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and takes care of business.

For your enjoyment
Linn-Mar senior Kyle Dunn will be allowed to compete in the Class 4A state track meet next week despite being disqualified from an event at Thursday's district meet in Dubuque.
Dunn was disqualified Thursday for making an inappropriate remark after winning his heat of the 800-meter run. Dunn is not eligible to compete in the 800 at state due to the disqualification, but he can compete in all his other races.
Scott Mahmens, the activities director at Linn-Mar, said the disqualification does not affect Dunn's status for the rest of the meet, according to IHSAA rules.

Wow - Lin Mar and Mahmens really continue to crack the wip there.

I not doubting you but KD in the 800 with a badly bruised heel sounds mess up to me.Heck he probably wanted DQ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT