ADVERTISEMENT

3A State Tourney Discussion

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Just like the 4A thread, I'm starting this one to get some discussion, and maybe some arguments, going. Who do you think is the favorite to win it all in 3A? Is it because of the team play or the individual star? Which is the toughest substate, and why? Could the IHSAA have improved the seedings in any way? Which eight teams do you think will play at Wells-Fargo Arena? Which coach do you think can take a team the farthest? I personally think any of about ten teams could win this championship if they get hot and have some luck. This is about the most balanced I have ever seen the top ten or so in 3A. Let's hear what you have to say, before I jump back in. Two years ago Glenwood took the tourney by storm, and last year it was Osky's to win, and they did.

I haven't followed 3A much this year. Who do you guys like the most out of district 1?

3A has probably the most heralded players in the state in Born and Foster, and I think 3A is the most interesting class this year. Let me go through the substates, starting with #1.
Substate 1- I'd go with Carroll over MOC, SB- Luten, LeMars and Spencer. Former #1.
Substate 2- Very balanced substate, with Algona, Ballard and Clear Lake vying for state. An upset winner could prevail, but I'll go with Algona on a whim.
Substate 3- Probably not the strongest substate, but I like Marion over CPU, Charles City, Decorah and maybe Waverly.
Substate 4- The Valley of the Damned. Six decent teams, with #1 Mt. Vernon being the favorite over Central DeWitt, Cedar Rapids Xavier, Dubuque Wahlert, Benton Community and West Delaware. This substate has the current #1 team and three others that have played in the 3A state championship game a total of five times since 2014, winning four times.
Substate 5- Davenport Assumption, previously the #1 team in 3A, over Clear Creek-Amana, unless some team from a bunch of underperforming teams this year gets hot. Lots of good teams, just not this year. Huge upset if it's not Assumption.
Substate 6- Lots of talent and big names but they are all chasing Pella this year, I think.
Substate 7- A real tough substate, so Norwalk, my pick, is not a walk-in. Gilbert, Dallas Center-Grimes and ADM all could cause trouble.
Substate 8- Another substate with a surplus of strong teams in Winterset, Harlan, Glenwood and Denison-Schleswig. An upset winner could come out of here, but I'll go with Glenwood, the state champ two years ago.

Last edited:
The state should have slid a couple of teams from substate 4 into substate 3!

Here are my predictions:
1: MOC
2: Clear lake
3: CPU
4: Mt Vernon
5: Assumption
6: Pella
7: Norwalk
8: Glenwood

Reactions: dtk913
I think the Raccoon River Conference has a good shot at sending three teams to state this year with Carroll, Ballard, and Winterset. I have seen all three play, and Carrol probably has the most balanced team, but Winterset and Ballard have the best individual players in Connor Drew and Easton Darling. Darling is probably one of the most underrated players in the state. He led his team to a victory over Norwalk earlier this year, scoring over half of his team's points and just last week had a 47 point outing against Gilbert. He can score with the best of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT