ADVERTISEMENT

3A distance times, wow

Feb 12, 2012
I really doubt we see those kind of times in the next 25 years or so, cant wait for the mile. Speaking of that why is it that the Boone kids are only running 2 events at state? Did they DQ at districts or something?

Originally posted by cancer stick:
I really doubt we see those kind of times in the next 25 years or so, cant wait for the mile. Speaking of that why is it that the Boone kids are only running 2 events at state? Did they DQ at districts or something?
Yeah, that 3a mile was impressive....I think they went through 800 slower than 1A.The entire race looked set up. I'll take a Josh Evans any day over any one else...Impressive and humble. And a team first kind of runner. The 3a kids are very talented...but Evans was the star of the distance races for the boys. And it won't be 25 years...there are a lot of talented young distance runners in iowa.

I have to agree with LMYR. We've been watching the distance kids improve a lot over the last seven years in both cross country, Drake Qualifying cut-offs and state track performances in all classes. I really feel that the coaches are doing a better job of identifying talent, convincing kids to put in the extra time and effort in summer preparation and the kids are buying into it. As a result of the general pace of the main body of any field that was slowly gaining on the elites, the elites are now putting in that extra effort as well to stay ahead of an improving field and are now showing us what a few guys from the 70's already knew. Nothing substitutes for hard work. Now there are more kids willing to work hard and smart than ever before.

The 90's was a decade of the train of thought that less was more. Unfortunately, that approach really hurt the overall performances of the sport for an additional decade. Throw that in with the expanding soccer world and you have people/talent moving away from the sport. At this time, it's pretty obvious that if you don't commit to soccer full time, you won't have a chance to make your varsity squads and club soccer in Iowa is pretty popular but in sync with the high school programs in a lot of places. Many kids/parents are figuring out they don't want to get into that universe because they are missing out on a lot of other opportunities. Therefore, balance is starting to return with higher performances due to the extra effort to remain competitive.

With all of the specialization in other sports such as VB, BB, Soccer, etc...that the running community feared over the past couple decades, the result is specialization in distance running too. These kids don't play other sports for the most part. The trick to building a good track team however is to get those great athletes that are great in the other sports to come out for track and sprint, hurdle, jump and throw for the team. Personally speaking, spring time is a great chance for all of those talented kids in other sports to get away from their main sport for a couple months and push themselves in track and be a part of another program. They always seem to enjoy it and refresh their batteries for their other athletic passions once the season is over. They also seem to realize that they've been missing out on some fun they didn't even know existed until they gained the courage to even try.

After watching the state track meet again this past weekend, I'm just so impressed with the level of performances, participation, fan support, general championship environment etc... that we really do have something special here in Iowa and those kids that make the attempt really can enjoy a great experience that's hard to find anywhere else. It's fun to see the great athletes in other sports have their eyes opened up to this experience and get excited about being a part of it. They usually tend to tell their friends and bring along a few more great athletes to help out the next year.

Excellent post! However, at least in the smaller schools, it is great to see athletes who don't just run (ie, xc and track) running very well in the distance races. It used to be a 4:30+ 1600 would put you in the hunt for a championship and those kids would be runners only. Now you are seeing kids who play football and basketball, etc running those times. Personally, I don't like kids specializing in one sport in high school. And in smaller schools you need those multi sport athletes out. T&F is alive and well in Iowa, and the State championships are the envy of many states. This championship was one of the best if not the best I have ever seen! Great testament to the coaches, kids, parents, and athletes in Iowa. Iowa kids are as good as anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT