ADVERTISEMENT

3 classes for soccer this year

nhssoccer

Varsity
Feb 16, 2004
Have not seen it released anywhere yet, but it has been approved that there will be 3 classes this spring in Iowa for soccer. Biggest 48 schools in 3A, next 48 in 2A, and the rest in 1A.
Also, since fewer substate games will be required, the games will start the week of Memorial Day and therefore won't conflict with state track any longer.

What will that do for the state tournament? I would assume that teams would only be required to play one game per day?

Wont splitting up the schools cause issues for seedings in the tournament? Some of the smaller schools that play in larger conferences will have bad records going into the tournament, etc. Just some thoughts. I am all for it though, sounds fun!

State tournament format will still be the same, three day tournament, 8 teams from each class, no more than one game per day. Just more games each day now.
I'm sure those schools that wouldn't have much of a chance to make state at all playing against the 2A schools will take the opportunity to play at state even if their seed is affected by their schedule.

It will be interesting to see who is on the bubble of the two larger classes. I wonder who will be the 40-48 largest schools to be placed in 3A and likewise with the bottom end of 2A. You may have some really good soccer teams from the lower end of 3A that would dominate 2A but have to compete with schools so much larger then themselves.

Any idea on the release of the schools making up the 3 classes? Are the enrollments currently listed online somewhere?

It was approved and accepted by the board at their most recent meeting, there are three classes for soccer this year in the state of Iowa. I'm already aware of a few smaller schools adding soccer now that they will have a better opportunity to compete at state. The information has already been forwarded to athletic directors and coaches.

Anyone know of any smaller schools starting up programs in the Iowa City area?

What are they going to do about the start up programs in terms of getting conferences put together?

As of right now, the schools are organized in order based on enrollment. They are still waiting on a few schools whom are trying to combine which would bump up their enrollment and shift some schools around. I would say that it would have to be coming up pretty soon because those schools are going to need to be hiring coaches.

that is just for boys, girls are still 2 classes this year. Iowa is the only state left with two seperate organizations, so when IHSAA makes a change, IAGHSAU doesn't necessarily follow suit, although they cooperate quite a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT