ADVERTISEMENT

2A State Matchups

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
#1 - Aplington-Parkersburg (24-1) vs. #8 - Woodward Academy (16-7)
#4 - Forest City (23-2) vs. #5 - Treynor (21-3)
#2 - Western Christian, Hull (22-2) vs. #7 - Pella Christian (16-7)
#3 - Cascade vs. #6 - Regina, Iowa City (20-4)

I think it looks like a pretty strong field with some good first round matchups. I think I would take the higher seed in every game but would not be shocked to see a couple upsets happen. One thing is for sure, nobody is walking into the title game this year.

Here are my picks anyway

A-P - But I can see it be closer than might be expected. When Woodward gets hot they can score in bunches
Forest City - They just seem to be really rolling right now
Western Christian - I think their size will give PC problems
Cascade - This was the toughest to pick and it could go either way, should be the best game of first round

AP
Treynor
WC
Cascade

I was 4 of 8 on substate picks, but lets be honest 5 of those games were complete toss ups. I didn't think WC would be a toss up, so that could be considered a 6th toss up. All the games I missed were within 7 points of each other. Only 3 games were separated by more than 10 points.

AP - do not know much about Woodward so I will go with the fav
FC - this team had a very tough district and is playing great ball right now, oh and that Erich Erdman kid is pretty good. :)
Hull - even though I get tired of hearing about NW Iowa ball, how do not pick these guys.
Regina - love the way Cook plays, I agree that this could be the best 1st round game.

I wish the State wouldn't have placed Regina with Cascade in a rematch. Part of the fun of making State is getting to play some teams you would otherwise never have the opportunity to see or play.
Plus, Cascade plays boring Lickliter basketball. It's not that fun to watch games with final scores in the 40 point range.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
I wish the State wouldn't have placed Regina with Cascade in a rematch. Part of the fun of making State is getting to play some teams you would otherwise never have the opportunity to see or play.
Plus, Cascade plays boring Lickliter basketball. It's not that fun to watch games with final scores in the 40 point range.
It is a seeding process. The teams determined there own fate. The state doesn't determine it.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

It is a seeding process. The teams determined there own fate. The state doesn't determine it.
By record alone or did they take into account scheduling and beating 3A teams and other factors?

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

By record alone or did they take into account scheduling and beating 3A teams and other factors?
They go by losses on the record. They go based on the first 21 games of the season. Out of state games do not count in the matter. FC, Cascade, and Western Christian all have 2 losses. To determine the seeding for them they would have gone by points. That means Western Christian had the most points, Cascade next, and finally Forest City. Cascade all wins being against 2A schools except for 1 against 1A. Forest City wins came about split between 2A and 1A teams. Western Christian wins came against about 75% 3A teams and 25% 2A.

You get 1 point for 1A wins, 2 points for 2A wins, 3 points for 3A wins. I won't bother doing the math because that is self-explanatory for why they were seeded as such.

GO ACADEMY!!!! Very hard for that club to do what they did. Roster can change in a blink of an eye and they accomplished something we might not see again in a very long time. Hats off and good luck to all!

Got it, thanks for the explanation. So, there is virtually no benefit to scheduling any upper class teams. It's just added risk that potentially costs you seeding it seems like.

But...if you don't schedule up maybe you run the risk of not being tested for the postseason at all. Even if it costs you a seed line or two, I would think the benefits of scheduling up outweigh the risks.

Exactly wolverine, it only benefits you to play up. It obviously didn't hurt Western as they got the better seed because of it. If you win it only helps your seed. But even if you lose more games because of it your team will be in a better position come state because it has been battle tested against better competition. It seems like every year there are teams with lowers seeds due to losses to higher level competition that beat undefeated or 1 loss teams that played weaker teams all season. I know I would much rather go up against an undefeated team who played mainly 1A competition than like a 6 or 7 loss team who played mainly 3A and 4A schools.

This post was edited on 3/1 4:16 PM by sarcastico

Also losses against 1A = 0, 2A = 1, 3A = 2, 4A = 3, so it will still help with a tie breaker, although you may not have been in the tie breaker if you played down.

Originally posted by warriors dad:
GO ACADEMY!!!! Very hard for that club to do what they did. Roster can change in a blink of an eye and they accomplished something we might not see again in a very long time. Hats off and good luck to all!
Are they subject to the same rules? Meaning can they add to the roster in a blink of an eye too. I have no idea so I'm just asking how their system works.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. So, there is virtually no benefit to scheduling any upper class teams. It's just added risk that potentially costs you seeding it seems like.
Not sure how other schools do it, but Western's goal for non-conference games seems to be:

Best competition: (Heelan has the same philosophy, the 4A Sioux City schools quit scheduling Western because there was too big a down-side to losing to a 2A school)Big arenas: Tyson Event Center in Sioux City & now the Pentagon in Sioux Falls (usually good competition in a venue that feels like Wells Fargo)Local rivalries: (MOC-FV,Sioux Center, Unity, etc)
The risk-reward for seeding is big, but always better prepared for post-season

I think last year may have been the 1st time Western was the #1 seed at state, but I think they're round one record is something crazy like 17-2?

I think WA will give A-P a game, but the more disciplined team will win out.

FC and Treynor could be a fun game to watch. FC is more the offensive-minded team, leading Class 2A in ppg, while Treynor comes in 5th in points allowed. Gotta lean with the guard play of Forest City in this one.

I've been impressed with Pella Christian's resurgence and run to State through a pretty tough schedule (which is usually the case for the Eagles). They're like Western in that they haven't lost to a 2A team this year either. I think they'll hold their own for a while before Western pulls away.

Another interesting style matchup. Pine doesn't seem to like the way Cascade plays (called it boring) so for that reason alone I may have to tune in to see if it ends up being the kind of game he is dreading.
devil.r191677.gif

I think Regina takes this game, though this rematch should be another nail-biter.

Honestly, the only outcome that would surprise me is Pella Christian beating Western. Otherwise, I think all lower seeds have a solid chance at victory, including Woodward Academy.

AP they play more guys
Forest City-like their shooters
Western Christian-too long, but God is the real winner here
Regina-just awful solid

FC
Regina

FC wins it all

If you haven't seen Forest City, and in particular, Erich Erdman, you are in for a treat if you like offense. They run and score, play some decent defense and can hit the 3. Erich is a gem. He took over the game against W. Fork and Pokey early on and neither team could stop him. Briar Cliff is getting a player who if he were taller, would be playing for a DI or II school. His brother is also going to BC and will contribute too. FC has 5 or 6 players who can hit 3s and will present match up problems for any of the 2A teams.

lowdown, nice to hear someone on here finally talk about FC! Seems like the north Iowa teams get left out on here. If they are on they can beat anyone. Treynor game should be a fun one to watch.

I would agree that Erich is a very good player and will do well at Briar Cliff. Seems that his brother Ethan is a good kid but was a package deal to go to Briar Cliff. With the roster they have, I don't see him contributing a whole lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT