ADVERTISEMENT

2A Regional Pairings Breakdown

Jan 25, 2016
I've included the top 4 teams in each region.

Region 1: The Union got this one right. Hard to take issue with this.
#1 Western Christian
#13 Lawton Bronson
Alta-Aurelia 9-7
West Lyon 12-4

Region 2: Okoboji gets to avoid UC and WC. A collective sigh of relief on their part.
#5 Okoboji
#14 Grundy Center
North Union 11-3
Newman Catholic 9-7

Region 3: Regina scores well on this one. Not sure how this happened.
#2 Iowa City Regina
Sumner-Fredericskburg 12-4
North Linn 15-2
Alburnett 10-5

Region 4: West Branch did very well on this one given that they were #7. Seems to lack balance. #7 gets #15 ranked team???
#7 West Branch
#15 Durant
Edgewood Colesburg 5-9
Maquoketa Valley 13-3

Region 5: A tough out for Pekin. Van Meter destroyed #11 I-35. Very balanced region. Geographically odd.
#3 Pekin
#12 Van Meter
South Hardin 10-5
Highland 13-4

Region 6: Probably the most balanced and best region from 1-4. Great respect for the Twin Lakes Conference (Clearly one of the best in the state). Both MNW and SCC battled Poky well and then you throw in a DM Christian team whose only loss is a one point loss to the #11 4A team. Not sure what the union was thinking on this one but it makes very little sense.
#6 Manson NMW
#9 Des Moines Christian
South Central Calhoun 11-3
Dike New Hartford 11-5

Region 7: The Pride of Iowa has always been weak (CD and I-35) and they are traditionally exposed in regional play. Panorama may have been given the biggest gift in the entire 2A bracket. Really hard to square this one. I expect the union was trying to protect their rankings, which were flawed from the outset this year.
#8 Central Decatur
#11 I-35
Eddyville Blakesburg 11-5
Panorama 12-4

Region 8: Tough one for Treynor. I thought for sure they would go east and match up with Van Meter, DM Christian or I-35.
#4 Unity Christian
#10 Treynor
Ridgeview 7-7
CB St. Albert 12-3

Last edited:
To add to this.

A very weak Region 7 contains the following from BCMoore:

Central Decatur #18
Panorama #22
I-35 #23
Eddyville Blakesburg #45

There were plenty of ways for the union to avoid this, both geographically and rankings wise. But again, they had to protect their rankings.

That is just a crazy good draw for Panorama, which is down a little compared to previous years when they got much tougher draws that kept them from state. I know those teams would have loved this opportunity. It would have made much more sense (rankings and geographically) to put #9 DMC in region 7 and send Panorama north to play Manson in region 6.

And region 5 going all the way from north of Marshalltown to west of Des Moines to Burlington. Wow.

Also in Region 2, West Hancock, ranked #7 by BCMoore, doesn't get a first round bye and matches up against Okoboji in Round 2. Clearly, the computer thinks more of the Top of Iowa Conference than the Union does.

One thing that is seldom brought up is the flaw the exists with pre-season and early season rankings by the union. Essentially they have the affect of ordaining certain teams into higher seeds in the regions and higher seeds at state based upon the Union's opinion. The College Football Playoff and its predecessor, the BCS, recognized such flaws and thereby delayed the release of their first poll until at least mid way through the season. That way they could get a better feel for where a team is at based upon the quality of competition they have faced and the quality of wins and losses.

For instance, the union may have incorrectly overrated a team based upon whatever criteria, only to see them trudge along throughout the season but never losing or losing maybe one game. They rarely drop if they don't lose or they drop a tad if they do lose. Meanwhile, a much better team starts off with a lower ranking or not ranked at all, they score big wins over quality opponents, yet they are cemented behind a lesser opponent in the rankings. The higher ranked team gets a higher seed, more favorable bracket, and if they make it to state, they likely receive a higher seed.

To add to this.

A very weak Region 7 contains the following from BCMoore:

Central Decatur #18
Panorama #22
I-35 #23
Eddyville Blakesburg #45

There were plenty of ways for the union to avoid this, both geographically and rankings wise. But again, they had to protect their rankings.
Treynor's loss to Logan-Magnolia on 1/22 prob cost them a #1 seed, Region #8 & with that they will most likely see Unity in Sub-state

Also in Region 2, West Hancock, ranked #7 by BCMoore, doesn't get a first round bye and matches up against Okoboji in Round 2. Clearly, the computer thinks more of the Top of Iowa Conference than the Union does.

I would agree with this assessment except the Union gave a 9-7 Newman team, that is Top of Iowa - East, a first round bye. I am pretty sure West Hancock beat Newman also:confused:

West Hancock did beat Newman, but Newman has some big wins as well, over Osage and Rockford. I think geography might have had a little to do with that one. Agree though that West Hancock should have a bye before Newman.

Newman split with North Butler. Newman won the second meeting. That conference is very even from 3-8. Anyone can beat anyone in that group. West Fork beat St. Ansgar last night. Central SPrings beat Rockford. After Osage and Northwood, it's a pretty even group of teams.

Newman split with North Butler. Newman won the second meeting. That conference is very even from 3-8. Anyone can beat anyone in that group. West Fork beat St. Ansgar last night. Central SPrings beat Rockford. After Osage and Northwood, it's a pretty even group of teams.
It seems as though it's a crap shoot on who shows up to play on an given night with that conference.

It seems as though it's a crap shoot on who shows up to play on an given night with that conference.
Rockford is a whole different team without McGregor, who just may be the best player in the conference. If she can come back for the post season, they could make a good run.

As for the East vs. West debate, both sides have some big wins, but I don't believe the top two teams on either side are head and shoulders above or below the others.

McGregor is good and makes them a much different team, but I would say Hattie Davidson is the best all-around player in the conference. At least the east side. Northwood-Garrigan in a possible regional semi-final would be a great matchup.

Looks to me like Great Plains original post of tough draw for Treynor panned out. Lost to eventual champ by 7 and had the game at 4 late. I think the ighsa missed out not having that team a number 1 seed in a region. 4 starters back can't wait for next year. Great championship run unity congrats.

Reactions: cyard31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT