ADVERTISEMENT

2A Game Talk - Western Christian, Hull (22-2) vs. Camanche (23-2)

Sure it does... Take class 1A.. stretch the map 200 x less say 75 miles.. how many 1A teams do u come across? A lot more then 16.
Don't you understand how the sweet 16 works in South Dakota? It is set up in regions which would be districts in iowa...2 teams from each of the 8 regions make it to the 16...which would be like substate in iowa...south dakota has a power point system they use to reseed the 16 teams. So in 2a sioux center/western would have been sent other places. Still not sure what your getting at with the more teams argument

Don't you understand how the sweet 16 works in South Dakota? It is set up in regions which would be districts in iowa...2 teams from each of the 8 regions make it to the 16...which would be like substate in iowa...south dakota has a power point system they use to reseed the 16 teams. So in 2a sioux center/western would have been sent other places. Still not sure what your getting at with the more teams argument

A poster made a statement that he didnt think having teams from 200 miles apart would be good and you replied that South Dakota does it. I simply pointed out the differences in the number of schools so in Iowa there is no need to stretch it out to 200 miles. I do know how the system works because I coached in North Dakota and the top 2 distirct teams advance to a super regional and they were reseeded. They did not use a point system then and maybe they still don't but coaches reseeded them. Where I am having trouble following is even if you ressed the regionals isnt it true that only one team from that area makes state?.. Not trying to be argumentive

A poster made a statement that he didnt think having teams from 200 miles apart would be good and you replied that South Dakota does it. I simply pointed out the differences in the number of schools so in Iowa there is no need to stretch it out to 200 miles. I do know how the system works because I coached in North Dakota and the top 2 distirct teams advance to a super regional and they were reseeded. They did not use a point system then and maybe they still don't but coaches reseeded them. Where I am having trouble following is even if you ressed the regionals isnt it true that only one team from that area makes state?.. Not trying to be argumentive
All 16 teams are reseeded 1-16. So this year 5 teams from the same conference made the tournament in class a...teams met half way to play the games. That's where western and sioux center would have both had a chance to make it. Distance apart doesn't matter. SD was trying to have more competitive state games.

All 16 teams are reseeded 1-16. So this year 5 teams from the same conference made the tournament in class a...teams met half way to play the games. That's where western and sioux center would have both had a chance to make it. Distance apart doesn't matter. SD was trying to have more competitive state games.

So would the 16 and then the 8 be at neutral sites around the state with 4 making the state finals?

You have 16 teams playing - like #1 plays #16, and #2 plays #15, #3 plays #14 and so on.... Then the winners of those 8 games make it to state.

I agree that iowa should go to a seeded final 16 or even 32 in order to get best teams down there. However, I'm not sure how the seeding would take place. It seems NWIA still wouldn't benefit as much as they should as they never seem to get the respect from the media or association when it comes to rankings.

I'd be curious to see a stat of how many teams have won state titles without being in top 10 rankings at end of the regular season . I'd be willing to bet NWIA would have that edge.

Last year in NE Iowa, Cascade, Beckman, Monticello, Anamosa, Northeast Gooselake, and Camanche were all top 10 teams. Only 2 could make it to state based on substate pairings. This isn't a Western Iowa anomaly. Could the state be more creative and gerrymander things a bit? Sure. But, someone will get left out every year. The girls have a state-sponsored arbitrary ranking that controls their placements. Do we really want that? Do we want substate with schools 200 miles apart? I'm not sure we do.

You are 100% correct that it could happen in any part of the state. If its the SE, great. I dont really care what part of the state it is. 200 miles apart, you meet in the middle and its 100 miles

I dont think it has to be a true 1-16, 2-15. You can put some mileage requirements in. If its Keokuk vs West Lyon at 1-16, look for the 1-15 matchup.

I dont know how the attendance was in SD for those Region games. I did see pics of schools renting charter buses for game. That sounds like a way to embrace the distance

Something needs to be done, but the main fact of the matter is there needs to be some criteria put in place to seed the teams and determine the sweet 16 or what not. Souh Dakota uses the power rankings to do this. Now would IAHSAA use bcmoore? Not lkely. They dispice BCmoore and want nothing to do with them. Now they finally tried to make some common sense and have coaches seed the districts and state, but I heard alot of teams that were in the same conference going into an alliance and not voting for other teams outside of it, so there is a problem there. The first thing that needs to be answered is how would we determne these sweet 16? Also why not move to 5 classes in the guys?

South Dakota update. SD plays their state tourney on Thurs, Fri and Sat. 3 games in 3 days and they play out to 8th place.

5 teams from 1 conference made the tourney and 4 of them won. So the 4 semi final teams are from the same conference. They have a chance at placing 1-5 at state.

South Dakota update. SD plays their state tourney on Thurs, Fri and Sat. 3 games in 3 days and they play out to 8th place.
5 teams from 1 conference made the tourney and 4 of them won. So the 4 semi final teams are from the same conference. They have a chance at placing 1-5 at state.
How many are private?;)

I always wonder how the teams feel about playing it out to 8 places?

Like that all state qualifiers are guaranteed 3 games. In SD, there is some serious travel distances.
Host city gets a big crowd for a longer period spending $$$.
1 good team is going to end with 3 losses in a row.
Fewer questions about final pecking order.
Does the 7-8 match garner ANY attention? Do the teams themselves even care?

I could be wrong, but thought Nebraska also does the 3 games in 3 days with the final at Pinnacle Arena.

I don't like a 3 games in 3 days format. In 1A, there usually isn't much bench depth. I'd prefer the current Iowa set up from a game format standpoint.

I don't like a 3 games in 3 days format. In 1A, there usually isn't much bench depth. I'd prefer the current Iowa set up from a game format standpoint.
Agree.
Like the consolation game since it gives the chance for seniors to get a bunch of minutes, but playing it out to 7th/8th place seems too much, & might expose a weaker team to 3 lop-sided losses.

The losers bracket moves to the afternoon. my assumption is that attendance is simply the 2 schools involved.
Once the ball is tipped, its a matter of competing. Never been to a 7th place game, but i would think the competitive juices would kick in. As a coach i think i would sub more and try to get my entire bench into the game at some point.

Evening sessions (A,B not AA) typically draw nice size crowds. usually fans from all 8 teams in the tourney show up for semi's and finals.

3 games in 3 days favor teams with deeper benches. these are high school kids though, they bounce back pretty quick. Add in some adrenaline and they are fine

2 private schools made it, 1 survived the 1st round ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT