ADVERTISEMENT

2A district pairings.

I don't understand the state putting Regina, Cascade (last year's 2A Champ) NE Goose Lake, and Monticello all in the same District, while nearby Districts 9 and 10 each pretty much get just one good team.

Last edited:
2A District 8- Basically the River Valley Conference North; plus RVC South Regina and Tipton.
Bellevue 5-8
Cascade 6-7
Monticello 12-2
Northeast, Goose Lake 7-5
Regina, Iowa City 9-2
Tipton 5-9

2A District 10- West Branch somehow escapes to the southeast into a non-conference weak District. Butch manipulates the IHSAA again.
Central Lee, Donnellson 1-11
Danville 6-8
Mediapolis 5-9
West Branch 11-1
West Burlington 8-4
West Liberty 2-12

2A District 8- Basically the River Valley Conference North; plus RVC South Regina and Tipton.
Bellevue 5-8
Cascade 6-7
Monticello 12-2
Regina, Iowa City 9-2
Tipton 5-9

2A District 10- West Branch somehow escapes to the southeast into a non-conference weak District. Butch manipulates the IHSAA again.
Central Lee, Donnellson 1-11
Danville 6-8
Mediapolis 5-9
West Branch 11-1
West Burlington 8-4
West Liberty 2-12
Not from the area so a little confused. Is butch a west branch alum who works for the boys and Boone?

Not from the area so a little confused. Is butch a west branch alum who works for the boys and Boone?

Yes, he is the long time West Branch football coach who leans hard on the IHSAA to keep Regina and West Branch football separated. He's not afraid to use his influence to benefit WB.
In fact WB has the parent of a current basketball player on the Board of Control right now. Helps with getting a favorable District I guess.

"The Iowa Association of School Boards appointed West Branch’s Amanda Whaley to represent its vote on the Iowa High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control
Whaley will fill out the remainder of a five-year, unexpired term of Greg Dockum of Johnston Community School District, a term that expires in November 2021. Dockum chose not to run for re-election.

Whaley, in her first term with West Branch Community Schools’ Board of Education, said her interest in the IHSAA comes from watching her children participate in sports."

West Branch would have to see Camanche in the substate and they can’t be happy about that.

If I’m any of the following with a legit chance, I would be thrilled to not see Camanche in a substate. A higher percentage chance to beat Beckman in a substate.

Cascade 6-7
Monticello 12-2
Regina, Iowa City 9-2

West Branch would have to see Camanche in the substate and they can’t be happy about that.

If I’m any of the following with a legit chance, I would be thrilled to not see Camanche in a substate. A higher percentage chance to beat Beckman in a substate.

Cascade 6-7
Monticello 12-2
Regina, Iowa City 9-2

I'd take one tough game for a shot at State over 2-3 tough games. Regina played Camanche down to the wire at Camanche. The sub-state game would be on a neutral court.
I'd bet any of the four teams you listed would switch with WB in a second, but I doubt WB would want to switch.

1. West Sioux
2. SE Valley
3. Boyden Hill
4. Western Christian
5. Osage
6. North Linn
7. Beckman.
8. Monticello/ Regina
9. Camanche
10. No clue
11. Not sure. Albia?
12. Van Meter
13. Pella Christian
14. A-P
15.Avoca
16. Treynor

1. West Sioux
2. SE Valley
3. Boyden Hill
4. Western Christian
5. Osage
6. North Linn
7. Beckman.
8. Monticello/ Regina
9. Camanche
10. No clue
11. Not sure. Albia?
12. Van Meter
13. Pella Christian
14. A-P
15.Avoca
16. Treynor

Pella Christian and Des Moines Christian seem like the only quality teams in District 13. Given how DMC manhandled PC a week ago, I'd give the nod to them.

Treynor with an easy road to state per usual. Tri center is no team to look over though.

I've heard rumors that Treynor's big man got hurt on Saturday, any truth to those rumors? They will still be favorites without him, but that defense isn't as scary without a 6'10" kid blocking 6 shots a game.... Still a pretty scary defense though.

Just some observations based on records via QuikStats as of today...
(I know records don't tell the whole story but this at least provides some statistical analysis.)

Ranking the Districts by Winning % (Team with Best Record)
(Because everyone has not played the same # of games)
  1. #12 - .633 - 50-29 (Van Meter 14-0)
  2. #2 - .607 - 51-33 (SE Valley - 12-2, SCC - 12-3)
  3. #1 - .583 - 49-35 (West Sioux 15-0)
  4. #8 - .568 - 46-35 (Monticello - 12-2)
  5. #6 - .564 - 44-34 (North Linn - 13-0)
  6. #13 - .557 - 44-35 (DMC - 10-3)
  7. #4 - .530 - 44-39 (Western Christian 10-2)
  8. #7 - .530 - 44-39 (Beckman 12-2)
    (Districts 4 & 7 are actually a tie for 7th.)
  9. #14 - .494 - 38-39 (A-P 10-1)
  10. #5 - .484 - 45-48 (Osage 13-2)
  11. #11 - .467 - 35-40 (Albia 11-2)
  12. #16 - .448 - 39-48 (Treynor 14-1)
  13. #15 - .447 - 38-47 (AHSTW 13-2)
  14. #3 - .434 - 36.47 (Boyden-Hull 12-2)
  15. #9 - .430 - 34-45 (Camanche 11-1)
  16. #10 - .415 - 34-48 (West Branch 12-2)
Ranking the SubStates by Winning % (Team with Best Record
  1. #1 & # 2 - .595 - 100-68 (West Sioux 15-0)
  2. #11 & #12 - .551 - 85-69 (Van Meter 14-0)
  3. #7 & #8 - .548 - 90-74 (Beckman & Monticello 12-2)
  4. #13 & #14 - .525 - 82-74 (A-P 10-1)
  5. #5 & #6 - .520 - 89-82 (North Linn 13-0)
  6. #3 & #4 - .481 - 80-86 (Boyden-Hull 12-2)
  7. #15 & #16 - .448 - 77-95 (Treynor 14-1)
  8. #9 & #10 - .422 - 68-93 (West Branch 12-1)
I think it is worth noting that the IHSAA did ensure that every district has at least 1 team with 10+ wins and no district has more than two teams with 10+ wins. So from that perspective, they did probably as best they could with splitting up teams with 10+ wins. After that, geography starts to come into play which in turn creates some district that appear weaker or tougher at this point in time. Will be interesting to see how the regular seasons finish up and how things might change in the ranking of the winning %'s of each district and substate. The teams currently with the best records in their substates would probably make for a pretty darn good 2A state tournament. But this is just food for thought as people want to continue to say which districts or substates are the toughest or weakest. Enjoy!

(Sorry for any miscalculation error that is found. I apologize upfront as I did this pretty quickly.)

I've heard rumors that Treynor's big man got hurt on Saturday, any truth to those rumors? They will still be favorites without him, but that defense isn't as scary without a 6'10" kid blocking 6 shots a game.... Still a pretty scary defense though.
He did hurt his wrist, he continued to play the rest of the game. I do not know the severity of the injury but all I know is that he hurt his wrist.

That is incorrect. From the IHSAA website:

"Seeding meetings will occur during the first week in February for Classes 1A and 2A; and during the second week in February for Classes 3A and 4A."

That is incorrect. From the IHSAA website:

"Seeding meetings will occur during the first week in February for Classes 1A and 2A; and during the second week in February for Classes 3A and 4A."

Thanks for the correction. I was looking at the "2019 Postseason Manual" which is still on the state website for some reason.

Am I looking at it right with Boyden-Hull, Western Christian and West Sioux all in different districts?

All top tier teams in the same NW Iowa county is tough to split up like that.

No he read it right. Those three teams are all in separate districts.

BH and Westerns districts will meet at substate

Yes, he is the long time West Branch football coach who leans hard on the IHSAA to keep Regina and West Branch football separated. He's not afraid to use his influence to benefit WB.
In fact WB has the parent of a current basketball player on the Board of Control right now. Helps with getting a favorable District I guess.

"The Iowa Association of School Boards appointed West Branch’s Amanda Whaley to represent its vote on the Iowa High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control
Whaley will fill out the remainder of a five-year, unexpired term of Greg Dockum of Johnston Community School District, a term that expires in November 2021. Dockum chose not to run for re-election.

Whaley, in her first term with West Branch Community Schools’ Board of Education, said her interest in the IHSAA comes from watching her children participate in sports."
You need help. Your constant w branch obsession is weird. Isn’t this all based on records anyway?

Reactions: sarcastico
I think they did a pretty good job this year with the district assignments. Some are tougher than others, but that is always going to be the case. Looking at potential substate games, though, we should be in for some fantastic basketball. It seems like everyone is going to have to beat a legit opponent to make it down to state, which is how it should be.

Had the opportunity to watch 2A Camanche play at 4A top 10 ranked Dubuque Senior on Saturday afternoon. First time I have eve watch a team outside of 4A/3A play in person ever. Going in I knew Camanche was rated fairly high and had not yet lost to an Iowa school this year. With that said I still thought Senior would role easily. Senior did win 82 - 66. For the most part I was wrong. I can’t imagine there being many better 2A school in Iowa this year.
I have Seen Senior role many 4A schools this with their ubber athletic team that attacks relentlessly and most of 3 quarters Camanche held there own. Henderson’s for the Indians is as good an athletic 3 as you will see, he had 27 for them.
I will definitely being watching to see what Camanche does was the tournament begins. They will not be an easy out, I could see them playing in the last game.
Good luck to the Camanche Indians the rest of the way

North Linn gets a cake walk to state. Their record against 2A teams this season was 0-0. Rewarding them for playing an easy schedule. Teams like Camanche, Beckman and Monticello schedule 4A teams and are penalized for playing tough games. Should tell those schools to join smaller 1A conferences and schedule easy non-conference games.

North Linn gets a cake walk to state. Their record against 2A teams this season was 0-0. Rewarding them for playing an easy schedule. Teams like Camanche, Beckman and Monticello schedule 4A teams and are penalized for playing tough games. Should tell those schools to join smaller 1A conferences and schedule easy non-conference games.

Similar to the RPI problem with the football playoffs...

I tend to agree with this statement. Although BCMoore has springville as a highly ranked 1A team and North Linn blasted them by 25. However in past seasons BCmoore has heavily overrated certain Tri-Rivers teams and underrated others. I personally don’t think springville is a top 20 team yet BCMoore has them at 4th because they beat horrible teams by 25 and stick within 25 of North Linn? I don’t know. I honestly have a hard time watching teams from that conference as they are usually are pretty awful. The only two good teams in that conference this year are North Linn and Easton Valley with Springville being solid and Alburnett being solid. Everyone else is bad. IMHO. It’s not the worst conference in the state or anything, but it’s getting boring watching 2A north Linn beat up on 8 man schools

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
Bcmoore has 10-7 New London at 20 in 1A while 17-2 Highland is at 39 in 1A, even after Highland beat them by 20 last week. I can’t trust it at all

Reactions: Hawk2015
BC Moore definitely needs to change up his formula. Get rid of offensive and defensive averages and put more emphasis on quality wins. Who cares if North Linn scores 160 on another crappy conference opponent and holds them to 20 points...a team should not be rewarded for running up the score. And in the Highland/New London example above, Highland should definitely switch places at the least with a team ranked above them that they beat by 20.

I get that you are worried that North Linn is playing in a 1A conference and hopeful that is your basis for thinking they are overrated. However, it's the same thing that's been saying the last couple of years yet let's remember that they are the 2A defending champion (after playing in that conference), the 1A runner-up the year before (playing in that conference), the current 1A runner-up is from that conference, as well as multiple state qualifiers from that conference over the past 2 years. I guess I don't see how you can make the argument that the conference is that terrible? It's not a 2A conference if that's what you are saying but to say that they have terrible conference opponents, you haven't been paying that close of attention.

I get that you are worried that North Linn is playing in a 1A conference and hopeful that is your basis for thinking they are overrated. However, it's the same thing that's been saying the last couple of years yet let's remember that they are the 2A defending champion (after playing in that conference), the 1A runner-up the year before (playing in that conference), the current 1A runner-up is from that conference, as well as multiple state qualifiers from that conference over the past 2 years. I guess I don't see how you can make the argument that the conference is that terrible? It's not a 2A conference if that's what you are saying but to say that they have terrible conference opponents, you haven't been paying that close of attention.
Ignoring your obvious biases towards the conference, I already openly admitted that the Tri-Rivers have 2 very good teams, just like they did last year. But don’t sit there with a straight face and try to tell me that after that there is a chasm of talent difference. No one is arguing that North Linn isn’t good or Easton Valley isn’t. We’re arguing that teams like Springville are not very good despite a good record. And I loved watching Jake Hilmer at the state tournament. Absolutely one of the best prep players of all time. But North Linn (I’m now going to refer to the year they got runner up in 1A) literally played only one team not from there conference to get all the way to the state title. Yikes. It’s pretty easy to make consistent deep runs when your playing against cupcakes. They are definitely a top 5 team, but right now BCMoore has as 10 point favourites over everyone in 2A which is a joke

I understand what you are saying and not necessarily disagreeing that there are flaws in point spread predictions and some of the rankings. As mentioned, the Highland/New London example is a good one of a team beating another team by 20 but being significantly lower which doesn't make a lot of sense. However, it's just a statistical ranking system vs. using stats and the "eye test" and/or considering other factors. I think it's a great tool for discussion and sometimes isn't that far off. In saying that, what sets the Tri-Rivers Conference and it's teams as being so terrible in comparison to other primarily 1A conferences? I know there are some strong western Iowa 1A teams that play bigger schools out of geographical necessity, but when looking at the central/eastern side of the state where there are a lot more 1A strictly (or close to) conferences, what makes that conference or teams in it that much worse than others? I'm not asking to be sarcastic, I'm just curious as to what evidence or information you would base that off of so I can better understand your labeling of those teams as crappy.

I understand what you are saying and not necessarily disagreeing that there are flaws in point spread predictions and some of the rankings. As mentioned, the Highland/New London example is a good one of a team beating another team by 20 but being significantly lower which doesn't make a lot of sense. However, it's just a statistical ranking system vs. using stats and the "eye test" and/or considering other factors. I think it's a great tool for discussion and sometimes isn't that far off. In saying that, what sets the Tri-Rivers Conference and it's teams as being so terrible in comparison to other primarily 1A conferences? I know there are some strong western Iowa 1A teams that play bigger schools out of geographical necessity, but when looking at the central/eastern side of the state where there are a lot more 1A strictly (or close to) conferences, what makes that conference or teams in it that much worse than others? I'm not asking to be sarcastic, I'm just curious as to what evidence or information you would base that off of so I can better understand your labeling of those teams as crappy.
You make valid points and I’m sorry if I came off as rude or curt. Thinking off the top of my head, I would say that the War Eagle (primarily 1A: has two top 5 teams plus a top 3 2A team and a plethora of other solid 1A schools who win a majority of non conference games) and the Top of Iowa (East half because west half is majority 2A.: they have a top 4 1A team plus a top 10 2A team. And if you take the conference as a whole, they have 3 of the top 5 1A teams and a top 10 2A school. After some digging, You actually have changed my mind a bit. A lot of the conferences I was thinking of are majority 2A so calling them 1A conferences is disingenuous. I would say the Tri-Rivers is a solid 1A conference. But I don’t think you can argue it would be considered pretty horrible in comparison to majority 2A conferences

But North Linn (I’m now going to refer to the year they got runner up in 1A) literally played only one team not from there conference to get all the way to the state title. Yikes. It’s pretty easy to make consistent deep runs when your playing against cupcakes.

Purely subjective opinion on my part here. In talking about the year North Linn made runner up against GVC, North Linn was legit that year and would've made champ game regardless of the path - conference foes or not. North Linn and GVC were the tops of the 1A that year and produced a fun, competitive champ game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT