ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Schedules

Western Dubuque is the only school to put Xavier.
I didn’t do a search of the document yet, but I noticed I didn’t see many requests for Xavier. I also see Xavier has given up on requesting the Cedar Rapids 5A schools since they refuse to reciprocate.

A lot of requests for Marion this year. Also CR Jefferson and Waterloo East, including several schools that really aren’t all that close … looking for an “easy” ND win, perhaps?

I know that Xavier is going to struggle to find opponents, personally I would rather see them put down CR Kennedy, Linn Mar, Cedar Falls, the three Iowa City schools, maybe even someone like Pleasant Valley. To me it would be a better game then some of the schools they listed. I know that the 3 CR schools have sort of refused to play them but at the same time the state makes the schedule so put them down and maybe the state would say that they want to see those matchups.

You noticed who WB at #2 on their list, right? Evidently Mepo didn't want to keep the budding rivalry alive.
I would like to see it, but Mepo did have Regina and SK on the list. I wanted all three of those since we’ve been playing them all the past few years. Oh well, one more year then I’ll be more interested in college football and those rivalries.

Just looking through the schedules these are the games that sort of made me go, huh?

Dubuque Senior vs Urbandale- They both have each other on their lists so their must be a connection
Pella vs Keokuk, probably not the terrible travel that it seems, but still a ways for a game that I don't think will be that great.
Storm Lake vs. Saydel/Perry, I get it that these schools were probably looking for competitive games but it just seems like a long ways to travel.
Danville vs. Lynnville Sully, it wouldn't surprise me if Danville is one of the four playoff teams out of that district, but seems like a rude way to restart a football program.

Just looking through the schedules these are the games that sort of made me go, huh?

Dubuque Senior vs Urbandale- They both have each other on their lists so their must be a connection
Pella vs Keokuk, probably not the terrible travel that it seems, but still a ways for a game that I don't think will be that great.
Storm Lake vs. Saydel/Perry, I get it that these schools were probably looking for competitive games but it just seems like a long ways to travel.
Danville vs. Lynnville Sully, it wouldn't surprise me if Danville is one of the four playoff teams out of that district, but seems like a rude way to restart a football program.
I'm from Keokuk and trust me, that one had a lot of us going "Huh?" as well, lol!

I will add that before Covid concerns changed the 2020 schedule, the state gave us Pella that year too.

Looking at travel distance for Lynville Sully, only 1 district game is less than an hour away and that is rival North Mahaska. Pleasantville is good for 1 nin-district game. Otherwise 2 other district games are just over an hour away and then 3 teams by the Missouri border. Then The state sticks them going down to Danville which is just about the same distance as Mount Ayr. Glad I am not a parent having to make those trips.

I honestly think the state spent some time looking at matchups that could be good competitive games. The games you mentioned above but I also like the West Branch Vs Dike, Grundy Center vs both Pella Christain and Aplington Parkersburg, Columbus Junct vs Mediapolis, Mount Vernon vs Monticello, East Buc vs Sumner Fred, Waverley Shellrock vs Xavior, West Delaware vs Webster city. I don't think they cared as much about travel for 1 or 2 games because its only a 1 year thing then it flips for the other team to travel. I like how they paired up some teams for good games even if each team didn't have each other on each list.

Waukon (2A District Champ & perennial powerhouse) vs MFL (1A District Champ & Quarterfinalist) week #2 should be a game to watch

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I honestly think the state spent some time looking at matchups that could be good competitive games. The games you mentioned above but I also like the West Branch Vs Dike, Grundy Center vs both Pella Christain and Aplington Parkersburg, Columbus Junct vs Mediapolis, Mount Vernon vs Monticello, East Buc vs Sumner Fred, Waverley Shellrock vs Xavior, West Delaware vs Webster city. I don't think they cared as much about travel for 1 or 2 games because its only a 1 year thing then it flips for the other team to travel. I like how they paired up some teams for good games even if each team didn't have each other on each list.
Grundy Center PC game is not going to be very close. Grundy returns virtually everyone except a 2-3 linemen. PC returns 3 starters and they play both ways. On offense it is 2 TE and RB. Defense is T, DE and S. If it is within 3 scores that will be an accomplishment.

Grundy Center PC game is not going to be very close. Grundy returns virtually everyone except a 2-3 linemen. PC returns 3 starters and they play both ways. On offense it is 2 TE and RB. Defense is T, DE and S. If it is within 3 scores that will be an accomplishment.
Grundy will be good no question as they have a great senior class coming back and virtually all their skill guys but it will not be a cakewalk vs PC like you think. PC played quite a few younger kids last year especially on D and the sched that they have played the last couple years I would say was tougher than that of Grundy. Don't get me wrong I think Grundy it going to be one of the top 5 teams in 1A after moving up but their competition in 1A is tougher than last year although their district this next two years is not very tough.

Reactions: IGo42
Grundy will be good no question as they have a great senior class coming back and virtually all their skill guys but it will not be a cakewalk vs PC like you think. PC played quite a few younger kids last year especially on D
FWIW, WB traveled to Pella and played the Eagles F/S team

WB 32
PC 7

Very BIG and TALL squad in Pella. They just grow 'em different over there. Dutch kids always seems taller and bigger. Coach Kac is a good dude, also. It's no surprise their program is competitive year in year out.

The interesting thing about South Hamilton's schedule is they play the same three non-district teams that they did last year in the exact same location. I'm not sure why they didn't rotate the host sites this season. They did change up the order of games though. Since I haven't looked that closely at other schedules I'm not sure if they did this with other teams or not.

FWIW, WB traveled to Pella and played the Eagles F/S team

WB 32
PC 7

Very BIG and TALL squad in Pella. They just grow 'em different over there. Dutch kids always seems taller and bigger. Coach Kac is a good dude, also. It's no surprise their program is competitive year in year out.
its true...dutch people are some of the biggest in the world...genes,,,and they eat a lot of cheese

I know that Xavier is going to struggle to find opponents, personally I would rather see them put down CR Kennedy, Linn Mar, Cedar Falls, the three Iowa City schools, maybe even someone like Pleasant Valley. To me it would be a better game then some of the schools they listed. I know that the 3 CR schools have sort of refused to play them but at the same time the state makes the schedule so put them down and maybe the state would say that they want to see those matchups.
I’ll just say I’m pretty sure Xavier had at least CR Kennedy on their wish list plenty of times since 2014, but never were reciprocated and the IHSAA never put them together, so who can blame them for giving up on that. I don’t know about the other MVC schools - like I said, Linn-Mar did play them three or four times since Xavier left the big class, so they were agreeable.

I did think it was interesting that Xavier had Dubuque Senior on their list. Not sure what might have spurred that. It’s also interesting that Marion High School is 8 miles from Xavier, yet they’re in separate districts and not given a non-district game (Xavier asked for Marion but Marion didn’t have Xavier on their list).

That said, Xavier’s non-district is plenty strong - 2022 playoff teams Western Dubuque, Waverly-Shell Rock, and Williamsburg, plus always tough Pella.

I’ll just say I’m pretty sure Xavier had at least CR Kennedy on their wish list plenty of times since 2014, but never were reciprocated and the IHSAA never put them together, so who can blame them for giving up on that. I don’t know about the other MVC schools - like I said, Linn-Mar did play them three or four times since Xavier left the big class, so they were agreeable.

I did think it was interesting that Xavier had Dubuque Senior on their list. Not sure what might have spurred that. It’s also interesting that Marion High School is 8 miles from Xavier, yet they’re in separate districts and not given a non-district game (Xavier asked for Marion but Marion didn’t have Xavier on their list).

That said, Xavier’s non-district is plenty strong - 2022 playoff teams Western Dubuque, Waverly-Shell Rock, and Williamsburg, plus always tough Pella.
I also think a lot of this would be different if non-district didn't count towards qualifying for the playoffs. It's tough for any program to want to play a team in the caliber of Xavier, WSR, Pella, North Scott, Lewis Central, etc in the non-district and then play your district schedule with perennial powerhouses there, too.

With football being the only HS sport where the regular season counts for playoff qualification, setting your team up to get wins and build confidence is really important. I think if non-district had less bearing on playoffs, you would see less "dodging."

I also think a lot of this would be different if non-district didn't count towards qualifying for the playoffs. It's tough for any program to want to play a team in the caliber of Xavier, WSR, Pella, North Scott, Lewis Central, etc in the non-district and then play your district schedule with perennial powerhouses there, too.

With football being the only HS sport where the regular season counts for playoff qualification, setting your team up to get wins and build confidence is really important. I think if non-district had less bearing on playoffs, you would see less "dodging."
But that's only for the at large spots...I mean if you don't plan to win or come second, should you really be worrying about qualifying based on your ND schedule?

While some may see ND games as confidence builders, the other side of the coin, is using those games to punch above your weight and get ready for your District schedule, where wins really matter.

City High plays Joliet Catholic out of Illinois, a program that has won 15 state titles. That seems like a big time challenge. Personally I wish that a few more of our best 5A programs would step out of state to see how they match up with schools from other states.
travel time...expense to do it....plays a factor....,. would rather see something xaiver playing some comptetive 5a school myself.....mathups within the state...harlan does play 3 4a schools on their nd, and a welcome one, old rivary denison

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT