ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Soccer Season

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
And...here we go once again! Practice is underway for the 2019 soccer season.
Thoughts on the season this year? Who are the favorites? Teams to keep an eye on?

The season kicked off yesterday with a handful of games.
The 2018 defending Champions are: 3A Waukee, 2A Pella, and 1A Iowa City Regina.

The 2019 pre-season rankings have been released by the Coaches Association and can be found here:
https://www.iahssca.org/current-rankings

Waukee, Marion and Regina enter the season as the top ranked teams.

I believe I heard this season sets a new record for Iowa high schools offering varsity soccer, with around 200 schools participating. Great to see the sport and level of competition continue to grow.

Some good games have taken place already.

Early season thoughts:
Some highly ranked teams with some early losses. In many cases to upper class teams.
Des Moines Christian falls to Bondurant-Farrar, Regina loses to Ankeny Centennial. Ankeny Centennial also with a big win over Iowa City West and a very good CR Washington team.
CR Washington is playing without their top player right now and getting him back would make them even better.
Solon jumped out to a strong start winning three games at a season opening jamboree before falling to 2A preseason top ranked Marion 3-0.
1A #2 ranked Assumption with two early season losses, one to a 3A Davenport North team off to a hot 5-0 start, and one to #16 1A West Liberty in a bit of a surprise. West Liberty with a convincing 3-0 win in that game.

The annual City vs. West game seems earlier this year. The game will take place on Tuesday, April 9th at the U of I soccer field.
City will come into the game at 3-0 while West is 1-1 with a game vs. Cedar Falls coming up this Thursday.

City High vs. West High soccer tonight. They currently sit at #3 and #4 in the 3A rankings. Should be a good one.
Great night to head over to the U of I soccer field to check out the game if you can.

City High had moved up to #2 in the new Week 2 rankings, but #6 West High gets the 1-0 win last night in a tight game.
Link to an articles on the game:
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...city-high-in-3-vs-4-boys-soccer-tilt-20190409
http://www.yourprepsports.com/pages/story/details/4185

Great stat from the yourprepsports article:
"For the 19th time in the past 21 meetings between the two schools Tuesday’s matchup was decided by a single goal."

Davenport Assumption off to a tough 1-5 start falls out of the rankings with a big match up next at Iowa City Regina. Assumption has yet to score a goal in regulation, getting a PK shootout win in their 6th game, a 1-0 win over Clinton.

IMS dropped a game to Notre Dame/West Burlington who moves up to #8 after that win.
Xavier with a big 1-0 win over 3A #8 CR Prairie last week.

1A #2 Beckman with a big 1-0 over 1A 3# Solon last night at Solon.
3A Davenport Central defeats 1A #1 Regina 2-1 on a late bicycle kick goal in cold and windy conditions.
Green County in 1A is putting up some huge wins so far, but have yet to face some tougher competition.

Two curiosities in this week's rankings, after dropping a game to Dav Central I fully expected Beckman to rise to number 1 (it was before their loss to Marion.) But the curious thing is WB ND - How do they get 3 first place votes to Beckman's zero first place votes and only take 3rd? Someone must really devalue Beckman (which may have proved out true after their embarrassment against Marion.)

Second one is how can anyone give Creston a single number 1 vote? They've played nobody and the other votes are obviously lower netting them a number 6 ranking. Greene county would be a better bet to get some higher votes - undefeated and two goal scorers who have combined for 30 goals so far. Team to watch.

Great points. I can only guess that losing to a 3A school that was receiving votes for the rankings in a very close game wasn't enough to drop Regina out of first. I would say they probably got that correct as Regina then beat Assumption and Top 5 Waterloo Columbus.
Beckman also had a previous loss already on the book to South Tama which I believe is an unranked 2A school. Marion is very good, but that score was surprising (8-1).

I completely agree with you regarding Creston and Green County. Creston lost this week to unranked 1A Riverside, so that should drop them. Green County has been playing great, but the competition hasn't been there yet. They will play Gilbert, North Polk and Regina all on the road over the next two weeks, so we should find out a lot more about where they measure up soon.

South Tama is actually a 1A in soccer (and unrated but rec'd votes).

Greene County is leading all classes in goals scored - they've put 50 on the board and only allowed 4, so they obviously have some skills. As for their upcoming matchups I think those are all at the Nevada tournament, so that will be an interesting test for all those teams.

Sub-State pairing are out.
Substate 1 looks like a fight between Treynor and Western Christian
Substate 2 looks like a fairly easy ride for Columbus Catholic - I think despite Postville showing up in the rankings now, that GCGR is more likely the challenge for them in a post-season format this time of year.
Substate 3 Could be a dog fight between Assumption and Beckman, with CPU looking to play spoiler. I know Assumption has dropped out of the rankings, but I wouldn't count them out - Maybe we'll know more after this weekend.
Substate 4 looks pretty easy for Regina on paper, but there are 3 teams who could challenge on any given day - it only takes one loss in the post-season.Vinton Shellsburg seems to be building at the right time.
Substate 5 Should be a fight to the end between Notre Dame West Burlington and West Liberty - High Scoring ND against a very physical WL. This one will either be a blowout for ND or will end in PKs, My money would be on going to PKs (This may be the best substate final in the state matching up)
Substate 6 - IMS and Solon are the only real contenders here. PC may look to play spoiler. I think Solon will be off to state in this one - more big game experience and a deeper group of athetes.
Substate7 Nevada and Creston should be the matchup here - We'll know more after next weekends tournament.
Substate 8 looks to be Greene County's to lose - AHSTW has broken into the rankings - we'll see if they can challenge the lights out shooting from two prolific scorers Greene County brings.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Great post and great analysis...

Beckman continues their slide, losing three straight which included a 6-0 loss to Columbus Catholic and a 5-0 loss to Regina.
Columbus Catholic also avenged an earlier season loss to Regina, defeating them at the Catholic School Tournament, 4-0.
But, then Assumption get the 1-0 win over Columbus Catholic. You can not count out Assumption from going on a post-season run.
ND-West Burlington continues to impress. Green County suffered their first loss of the season against a very good 2A Gilbert team. Green County will play at Regina this coming Saturday. Well done to both AD's to have the foresight to arrange that game this season.

City High got a big 1-0 over a very tough 2018 3A runner up Bettendorf team and a big win over CR Prairie as well. Xavier got a big 1-0 win over a very good CR Washington team.

The Greene Co / Regina matchup is at the Nevada Tourn. which I believe both teams have tradionally attended. It's a standard bracket double elim tourn (no pool play) Regina/Greene County have a first round matchup, so do Marshalltown and Gilbert in that bracket, so in addition to the Regina/Greene County matchup there's the potential for a rematch of Greene Co and Gilbert second round. Other teams at the tourn are Nevada, DSM Hoover, Perry and Carroll Kuemper.

Week 5 ranks are out - Columbus Catholic is the new #1 in 1A - Congrats Sailors.

Beckman fell to number 9 which may be charitable.

AHSTW took a big jump from 16 to 8. It's hard to ignore an 11-0 team. A 4-3 victory over a fairly weak (compared to their history) St Albert team and a 2-1 win over also ranked Treynor are their only quality wins. Not saying they aren't worthy of the 8 spot, just that it'll be interesting to see them match up with Greene County in the substate.

By the same token it's tough to see West Liberty drop to 16. Sure it's a 3-5 team, but two of those loses were to 3As, two were close losses to strong 2As and lost in a 5-4 PK shootout to Regina. This is not a team to be taken likely, and I still say a West Liberty/NotreDame WB matchup in substate could be the best substate matchup to watch.

Substate 7 is shaping up to be interesting - there could be some upsets there. Creston, DM Christian, Kuemper, Nevada, and North Polk have all been ranked at various points. Someone's going to be disappointed by not getting a State berth.

Matches to Watch

Tonight:
Benton v CPU - a CPU win might move them up from their number 10 spot, a Benton win may bring them back into rankings. CPU also needs to show they're ready to matchup to Assumption or Beckman in their substate

Hoover v Centennial - Ranked 3As - Centennial looking to bounce back

Indianola v. Creston - Creston got a first place vote for a couple weeks. They need to make an easy evening of it against the 1-9 3A opponent. Anything less makes you wonder about their place in the rankings at all

Beckman v. Indianola - Beckman needs to show they can win. It's a 5-6 2A opponent. If Beckman loses, they drop out of rankings.

IMS v Regina - #5 at # 2, plus there's plenty of history here.

Decorah v Postville - Decorah is a pretty good 2A - a Postville win brings them back into rankings

Solon v Williamsburg - a must win for Solon. Williamsburg started the season at #3 and slipped from the rankings in week 4. They beat # 14 Vinton Shellsburg last week a win over Solon could bring them back into rankings. A solon win solidifies their spot - makes a case for number 2 or 3 depending on what happens at Regina. Number 3 ND West Burlington is idle the rest of the week after two rather pedestrian wins earlier.

Friday

Treynor v AHSTW - Who owns the west in 1A?

Clinton v West Liberty - Despite how good West Liberty can look on the field a 3-6 record isn't going to keep them in the rankings long. Need a commanding win over 2-7 3A Clinton to stay in the rankings and to show they're ready for Notre Dame in the substate.

CF v Xavier - Xavier needs a win against a 5-4 3A CF. A loss puts Marion back in the top spot.

Big Tournament Weekend. Think I'll do my State bracket predictions on Monday!

Last night:
Benton tops #10 CPU 1-0
Centennial handles Hoover 3-1.
#2 Regina with a dominating 5-0 over #5 IMS in a game that wasn't even that close.
Decorah gets the 2-1 win over Postville.
Solon pulls out a 2-1 win in double overtime over Williamsburg.

Some good games coming up tonight and this weekend at the Nevada Tournament.

Edit: a couple of late scores, Indianola (1-9) dominates Creston 8-2.
Beckman falls again, this time to Independence (5-6), 1-0.

Last edited:
Creston dropping to Indianola is not a good sign for them. They have Nevada in their substate who went 1-2 at their own tournament last weekend, but the two loses were both 1 goal loses to quality sides. On paper a team with loses by 1 to ranked Hoover has a distinct advantage to one who loses to 1-9 Indianola. Of course we don't know if there were circumstances... But with North Polk coming on, I'm not sure Creston even makes the substate final.

I think Beckman can still hold their own with many 1As, but I don't know how the coaches can justify keeping them in the rankings.

Greene County looked the real deal, not just the one hit wonder, I would put them about IMS who I think is overrated. I don't think they deserve more than the #10 spot and I don't think they'll get past Solon to get back to state.

So here's my substate prediction/State Brackets":

#1 Columbus Catholic (don't see any way they drop out of first unless they get a string of bad luck)
#8 Western Christian - I think they'll step up and win substate over Treynor 3-1.
#4 Solon - Only team who can challenge substate is IMS and I think Solon wins the final 4-1 - but also don't have anything to propel them any higher in rankings
#5 Greene County - Maybe a better side than Solon. But nothing that can really move the rankings at this point
#2 Regina - Has a pretty easy substate - Benton would play spoiler, but I don't see it happening.
#7 Nevada - a crowded above average substate field but their big school experience will put them through
#3 WB ND - Lots of shots will take them over West Liberty, who will fight (quite literally)
#8 Assumption - They have taken their lumps but can handle Beckman in substate this year.

State Quarterfinal:

Columbus Beat Western Christian
Greene County Beats Solon
Regina beats Nevada
Assumption beats WB ND (experience over rank here)

State Semi Final:

Columbus beats Greene County
Regina Beats Assumption

State Final

Regina over Columbus in extra time, maybe a shootout (again)

Great post. It does feel at this point that Columbus and Regina look like the top two 1A teams. But, certainly there are other teams that have a real shot. Solon, Green County, and WB ND...and it's hard to count out Assumption and Beckman with their experience.

Regina with a very tough schedule down the stretch with games against top 3A teams.
They have one of the best goalkeepers in the State, already having won 3 PK shootouts this season and quikstats lists 23 saves against Bettendorf which is amazing.

Reactions: rc1963
So, I took a closer look at the seeding points, and there are still a few regular Season Games to play but with my assumptions for how those play out I now have Columbus as 3 seed and Regina as a 6, which would mean they meet each other first round rather than a potential final. Guess we'll have to see how the reg season plays out.

So, I took a closer look at the seeding points, and there are still a few regular Season Games to play but with my assumptions for how those play out I now have Columbus as 3 seed and Regina as a 6, which would mean they meet each other first round rather than a potential final. Guess we'll have to see how the reg season plays out.

That would be disappointing. Those two teams should be on opposite sides of the bracket.
Got to beat everyone at State anyway though.

Marion and Xavier looking like the top two 2A teams?

The 3A tournament...is pretty deep. That would seem like a number of teams have a real shot. Should be a great one to follow.

That would be disappointing. Those two teams should be on opposite sides of the bracket.
Got to beat everyone at State anyway though.

Marion and Xavier looking like the top two 2A teams?

The 3A tournament...is pretty deep. That would seem like a number of teams have a real shot. Should be a great one to follow.

For 1A, A lot comes down to WBurlington having 3 games to finish - If they win out they are the top seed. I think the top 3 are set, just not what order. (WB, Western Christian and Columbus) Since Solon lost to CCA, assuming they beat S Tama, will be the number 4, Regina beating Muscatine will make them 5 and Nevada losing to Newton 6. If Nevada beats Newton, it moves them up to a tie for 3rd and puts Regina back into the 6 slot. Regina going the 5th puts them in the top half of the bracket and sets the stage for the Columbus rematch.

I think Marion and Xavier are alone at the top. I've seen Gilbert and wasn't that impressed.

I've seen 5 of the top 6 in 3A (not Waukee) Out of those, it could be any teams match on any given day.

Wow, lots can happen in a couple days.

Xavier's big win over City AT City, never would have seen that happen, certainly in such commanding fashion.

And Solon, what's happened there? Are they showing they never were as strong as their ranking? Is it imploding? Is it just a string of bad luck? I thought they had pretty much a cake walk in to state, but today I'm not so sure. By my calculation, they've dropped from a likely 4 seed to a 7.

What I said earlier about Notre Dame and West Liberty couldn't be more true now. All Notre Dame needs to do is survive the substate and they'll be the number 1 seed at state. To do that they'll likely need to get by West Liberty, which has come on strong after a bit of a mid season slump.

What are potential other upsets at substate? Columbus Catholic looks to walk in. But could a GCGR, or Postville pull of one big surprise victory? Clear Lake? if GCGR are going to do it, they have to on Wed.

How Western Christian/Treynor both ended in the top half of the bracket, I don't understand. I guess Souix Center has nudged out Treynor for the number 2 seed. Both should be athletic, physical teams, still think WC has the edge. A shame they will meet on Wed.

At one point I thought substate 3 would come down to Beckman and Assumption. But they'll settle that part on Wed. Then it looks like CPU will have an easy route to meet one of them in the final.

Substate 7, I'm not sure how North Polk got the one seed over Nevada, but I think that's probably going to be the final anyway. I give the edge to Nevada.

Substate 8 comes down to AHSTW and Greene County. AHSTW appears to have a little easier route. Greene has to contend with Riverside, Oakland, who has recently broken into the rankings, but I think that won't be too much of a challenger. Both of these teams like to put lots of balls on frame. Is it possible we could see the season's first double digit to double digit score? I look for Greene county to come out on top of this one.

So, ready for the regular season to wrap up today and move on to post season.

OK, now that the regular season is done, I'm going to re-visit my State Tournament bracket.

I don't think anything changes with my substate predictions, so, if I did the point system correct here's what I get for state 1A brackets:

Quarterfinals
1 West Burlington Notre Dame for the win over 8 Seed Assumption

4 Seed Nevada to drop to 5 seed Regina

2 Seed Western Christian over 7 seed Solon

3 Seed Columbus Catholic over 6 seed Geene County

Semis

Regina over Notre Dame
Columbus over Western Christian

Final

Regina over Columbus on PKs

That's my prediction.

That seems like a solid prediction, but anything could happen along the way.

We start to get some good games tonight:
Assumption vs. Beckman
Regina vs. Williamsburg
Vinton-Shellsburg vs. South Tama

Congrats to the only two teams to finish the season undefeated: Waukee and Marion.

It will be interesting to see how good Burlington-Notre Dame is, just one loss and ranked #3 while receiving first place votes. But, if you look at their schedule and ask what was their best win? Or, the toughest team they played? I'm not sure they faced the challenges that other top teams have. But, looks like they will just need to get past West Liberty to make State. West Liberty has been playing tough lately though.

Looks like VS and South Tama must have been a very good game to have come down to second extra time in Vinton to avenge their April loss to the Vikings at home.

Here's my recap after Substate Semis

SS1 - I was originally hoping for Treynor and Western Christian to be the final here, but it wasn't seeded that way. Western Christian seemingly had no trouble with Treynor last night, winning 5-0. Western Christian will meet up with Sioux Center Saturday. Sioux Center comes in 12-4, and this will be the tie-breaker in their series having Lost to WC 0-3 and then beaten them 1-0. I guess the best team in the SS will emerge. I'm saying it will be Western Christian who has outscored their opponents a combined 70-16.

SS2 - Columbus had no problem with GCGR 6-0 last night. 9-9 Humboldt is going to have their hands full with the Sailor's 1-2 punch. Averaging almost 3 goals per match allowed this season, I think the Sailors are going to be too much for them. I predict the Sailors will win by at least 5.

SS3 - I really thought Assumption was going to get it all together against Beckman, but I guess the trailblazers had different plans topping the Knights 2-1 last night. Should be a good one Saturday with CPU travelling to Dyersville. I'll have to re-do my state brackets now....

SS4 - The Raiders hung with Regina last night, but the Regals largely controlled play in their 2-0 win. Looks like a good final in Iowa City as hard charging South Tama comes to town. South Tama features a striker who has averaged just over 2 goals per game.

SS5 - Notre Dame, who has been a goal scoring machine this season eeked out a stingy win over Central Lee last night while West Liberty cruised to a 4-0 win over Holy Trinity. Seems like the Comets are smelling blood. I'm going to back away from my prediction of a ND win - This one is now a coin toss but I still think either WL will shut down ND completely, or ND will find a way to put multiples in the back of the net.

SS6 - Solon had no trouble with Pella Christian last night winning 4-0. I see a similar outcome against IMS Saturday. Spartans will return to Cownie for their 4th state appearance.

SS7 - North Polk had to go to PKs to top DM Christian who was trying to advance a second year in a row. North Polk will have their hands full when Nevada comes to town. Nevada had not trouble dispatching Creston 4-1 (anybody remember those mysterious first place votes during the season?) I still think Nevada will pull this one out, but it's going to be a tough one. Maybe the second best matchup of the weekend.

SS8 - High flying Greene County eeked out a 2-1 win over host Riverside, Oakland. AHSTW had to go to PKs to advance the final against Greene County in Oakland Saturday. I still think Greene County will come out with the ticket to State. Either way, it will be a program first appearance at state.

2A Looks like it went according to script. Hopefully we'll see the two teams who have jockied for first all season in the State final.

I don't normally have much to say about 3A, but last night's substate semis really point out the disparity between the top programs and the rest. These were all substate Semi finals, the top 32 teams in the biggest class and look at these margins of victory:

City 9-0
Wash 10-0
Bettendorf 8-0
PV 5-0
IC West 7-0
Prairie 6-0
Urbandale 4-0
Waukee 4-0

Why the big talent drop off in 3A?

Noticed the same thing with those 3A scores. The talent at the top of 3A this year is strong and looks like it could be at least 8 teams deep, but it does drop off quickly.

More schools continue to add soccer programs each year, this year West Branch started a program and I believe Tipton may be adding a varsity program next year.

Are we quickly approaching a need for 4 classes in soccer?
Right now it is set at top 48 schools based on BEDS are 3A, next 48 are 2A, all remaining schools are 1A.
By my rough count there are now 64 teams in 1A.
With the disparity being seen in 3A and the rising number of 1A schools, perhaps re-allocating into 4 classes soon makes sense.

In the 1A playoffs, Colombus and Solon look to have the easiest path to State. The Burlington ND vs. West Liberty game should be a good one. I'll go out on a limb and pick WL in an upset in this one.
The Regina vs. South Tama game looks like a tough one. Regina appears to have had the hardest Substate bracket which included 5 ranked teams, not including Williamsburg, a State qualifier from last season.
Should be some really high quality games on Saturday.

Noticed the same thing with those 3A scores. The talent at the top of 3A this year is strong and looks like it could be at least 8 teams deep, but it does drop off quickly.

More schools continue to add soccer programs each year, this year West Branch started a program and I believe Tipton may be adding a varsity program next year.

Are we quickly approaching a need for 4 classes in soccer?
Right now it is set at top 48 schools based on BEDS are 3A, next 48 are 2A, all remaining schools are 1A.
By my rough count there are now 64 teams in 1A.
With the disparity being seen in 3A and the rising number of 1A schools, perhaps re-allocating into 4 classes soon makes sense.

In the 1A playoffs, Colombus and Solon look to have the easiest path to State. The Burlington ND vs. West Liberty game should be a good one. I'll go out on a limb and pick WL in an upset in this one.
The Regina vs. South Tama game looks like a tough one. Regina appears to have had the hardest Substate bracket which included 5 ranked teams, not including Williamsburg, a State qualifier from last season.
Should be some really high quality games on Saturday.

I wonder how many programs at the bottom of 1A are in danger of not being able to field a team, how many have had to combine programs or aren't currently fielding programs because of numbers?

I'm not sure it would address the quality gap at the bottom of each class but, it seems like there might be a need for a 7v7 class...?

I'm not sure what impact, dividing the current 3 classes into 4 would have. It would make classes of about 30 schools which is pretty small to try to run past season schedules without excessive travel. Additionally, the "power" schools are necessarily the at the top of the size break for each class (i.e. I don't think Marion or Xavier are at the top side of current 2A, Regina, ND aren't at the top size of 1A) If you look at the impact at 1A, and I'll use that as an example because it's the one I'm familiar with. If there were more classes teams like, Benton, S. Tama, VS, Solon, Pella, would move up a class. Not sure how that would benefit the middle of the class schools.

Yeah, not sure, but the number of teams continues to grow. It's tough for a school to start a program and compete with the size of schools currently in 1A. Take West Branch this year for example. First year for the program, they play some very small schools in the regular season and then get Assumption, and potentially Beckman in the playoffs. Or, an IMS which is a clear 1A in every other sport goes up against Solon in soccer, which is 3A in every other sport.

Or, how about those bottom of the class 3A schools? Every year, they know they have no shot against the Des Moines, Iowa City and Bettendorf/Pleasant Valley area schools. Maybe it's too soon, but it's something that will probably enter discussions at the state soon.

Some big upsets in the sub-state finals!
Some 1A coaches had Burlington ND as the top ranked 1A team, but they fall to #11 West Liberty.
#16 IMS goes to #7 Solon and knocks them off for the second straight season claiming a trip to State.
Regina advances to State for the 12th straight season and does end up on the opposite side of the bracket from Columbus. A rubber match between those teams would be exciting.

A surging CR Washington snaps City High's 8 season run at the State Tournament behind 5 goals from Keaton Woods. He looks to be a special player with a bright future.

Did people see the big controversy in the SEP vs. Marshalltown game? Game goes to PK's, and after what appears to be the game winning save, ref calls the keeper for leaving the goal line early. Ref gives keeper a yellow, sends him off, crowd goes crazy and the ref kicks out the entire Marshalltown fan base resulting in a 15 minute delay.
Play resumes, back up keeper makes the save as well and Marshalltown advances for their first ever trip to State. To me, that is a tough call to make in that situation and it didn't seem that egregious to me (the back up keeper appeared to do the same thing).

Check out the highlights for yourself and see what you think.....
https://whotv.com/2019/05/25/refere...fanbase-during-wild-finish-in-substate-final/

3 1A substates went to extras. Little surprised to see Souix Center take our Western Christian, WC looked better on paper. It will be an interesting matchup with IMS in Des Moines against an IMS team that, to me doesn't look that good. I don't think it will matter in the end, I think Columbus will easily handle CPU and then whoever wins the IMS/Western Sioux matchup.

Solon seems like the lost it just like last year. I'm always baffled by Solon, it seems like the take command of a reasonable schedule, most of the year then can't seem to close out substates. I'm never quite sure if they're just not that good, or if they just fail to close out.

North Polk needed extra time to take out Nevada and West Liberty held high scoring ND to 1, so that appears to be a battle.

Regina and Greene county is a rematch of an earlier season match that ended with Regina winning on PKs. That was a shortened half time game, not sure if the extra 10 minutes will impact either, but this is not a who scores first game. This will be a who scores last. Interestingly, in West Liberty manages a first round win, and if Regina repeats victory over Greene County is sets up another rematch of a game that Regina won in PKs.

I saw the Marshalltown thing unfold on Twitter but hadn't seen the film yet. I agree I think both keepers left early, you could argue the second keeper's was more egregious. Looks like he got a step forward, whereas the starting keeper was more of just a bobble. Good note for all the keepers to keep in mind to lock in tighter for the refs. I suspect they will be watching closely given this controversy. Interesting that the Marshalltown fans ended up gathering behind the PK target goal for that last attempt. Not sure the ejection achieved what it was intended to.

The overshadowed story in 3A was Bettendorf taking out Pleasant Valley. It looked like PV was the unbeatable team in the east, but Bettendorf found a way. I'd love to see film or get a recap of that match.

State soccer tournament delayed due to wet field conditions. Quarterfinals moved to tomorrow, Semifinals on Saturday and the Finals will be held next Tuesday.

Well, yesterday's Championship games bring another great season to a close.

Congrats to 3A Champion Waukee. Back to back Champions and an undefeated season. They defeat perennial powerhouse IC West 3-1 to claim the title.

In 2A Lewis Central shocks top ranked CR Xavier 1-0. I think very few saw that coming. Once Marion was upset, it looked as though Xavier had a clear path to another Championship, but Lewis Central finds a way to shut down the potent Xavier offense.

In 1A IC Regina wins the rubber match against top ranked Waterloo Columbus, 1-0. And, in doing so becomes back to back to back Champions, their second 3-peat and 8th overall Championship, second to only IC West. The Regals shut out the high scoring Sailors in a great, close game.

So, went to the gazette link you posted about the Lewis Central win, to see how the upset (and I think it's pretty universally accepted it was an upset) happened. Little surprised by the Xavier sentiment and comments, but I see sportsmanship eroding right and left, So I guess I really shouldn't be.

Congrats Regina, Lewis Central and Waukee on their wins and all the state qualifiers on their great seasons and fine performances in Des Moines!

So, went to the gazette link you posted about the Lewis Central win, to see how the upset (and I think it's pretty universally accepted it was an upset) happened. Little surprised by the Xavier sentiment and comments, but I see sportsmanship eroding right and left, So I guess I really shouldn't be.

Congrats Regina, Lewis Central and Waukee on their wins and all the state qualifiers on their great seasons and fine performances in Des Moines!

Yeah, I caught a bit of those comments on the news last night as well. Not the most gracious of concession speeches.
But, that is probably a tough situation with a camera and microphone in your face after a big game that you expected to win and have been used to winning.
Hopefully a learning and growing opportunity.

How about some other teams from the State Tournament that really stood out?

For me, I was really impressed by Greene County. Lots of talent on that team. They came close to knocking off the eventual Champion and will return quite a few players. I would anticipate seeing them in Des Moines again next year.

West Liberty went on an amazing run at the end of the season. They knocked off potential top seed Burlington ND to reach State, then followed that up with a convincing State quarterfinal win over top seeded North Polk. This was the first season for WL's new coach Walton Ponce after he took over for long time great coach Mike Gunn. It looks like that program remains in good hands.

Waterloo Columbus is really good. They will return their top striker next year and only graduate two seniors from their starting lineup. They will be a strong contender for the 1A Title next season. Really would have liked to see Greene County and Waterloo Columbus play this season. I could see that game going either way.

CR Washington finished the season with an impressive surge. Led by star Keaton Woods, they knocked off ranked CR Prairie and City High twice leading them to State. Glad to see Woods return to Iowa for his senior season and play so well.

I agree, Greene county was impressive. I think their slight weakness was the ability to convert backline stops to forward progress. i.e. they stopped attacks well, but didn't necessarily turn them into good offensive opportunities. If they can schedule a little more rigorous schedule it might help them develop this (i.e. they didn't have to be great against weaker opposition that was the bulk of their schedule.

Sioux Center was a surprise to me. I didn't see them advancing out of substate so a final 4 appearance was good for them. It's always tough coming out of the west.

West Liberty is getting all the pieces put together. The win over ND was a good one (but by rights ND wasn't of the quality to be the #1 seed, it was just a product of their schedule.) If WL can get a little more disciplined without losing their passion they are going to be perennial contenders.

Columbus is just good, they have been for a long time and they will continue to be. They are a deep and well disciplined squad.

I look for Assumption to be back strong next year - The return 11 seniors next year, all with pretty good game experience, including their leading scorers. So, never count them out.

Notre Dame had a pretty young squad, they had 3 players evenly tied for top goal scorers and will return one of them. I expect their youngsters to be a little more battle hardened next year, watch out for them.

North Polk looks to lose some senior talent that makes it look tough for them to repeat as qualifiers. Look for maybe Des Moines Christian to return.

Treynor is another one to watch from the West. I thought maybe they would pull it out this year and qualify again. I think they're a quality side and the school always produces good athletes. They return their top three goal scorers (and their assist leader) this could be a dangerous team.)

Great post. I agree with most all of that.

I thought Greene County suffered a bit from too much individual play. They resorted, like too many teams do, to just driving long balls down the field, hoping their forward could take control and out dribble the defenders for a goal. It appears as though that worked for much of the season, the goal numbers nearly led the state, but it often doesn't work against other top teams. They had just 38 assists on 107 goals this season.

Sioux Center played well, but IMS overachieved this season to play their way into that first round match up. What I watched of the West Liberty vs. Sioux Center game, it appeared to me that WL was controlling that match and chances. I was very surprised to hear they ended up losing.

Completely agree on West Liberty needing to find a way to play more disciplined. You need top quality refs on the field for a West Liberty game because they will be busy. But, they played very well and had a better season that I would have guessed at the start.

I never count out Assumption or Beckman, they have a program in place to field solid teams every year.

I agree, Greene county was impressive. I think their slight weakness was the ability to convert backline stops to forward progress. i.e. they stopped attacks well, but didn't necessarily turn them into good offensive opportunities. If they can schedule a little more rigorous schedule it might help them develop this (i.e. they didn't have to be great against weaker opposition that was the bulk of their schedule.

Sioux Center was a surprise to me. I didn't see them advancing out of substate so a final 4 appearance was good for them. It's always tough coming out of the west.

West Liberty is getting all the pieces put together. The win over ND was a good one (but by rights ND wasn't of the quality to be the #1 seed, it was just a product of their schedule.) If WL can get a little more disciplined without losing their passion they are going to be perennial contenders.

Columbus is just good, they have been for a long time and they will continue to be. They are a deep and well disciplined squad.

I look for Assumption to be back strong next year - The return 11 seniors next year, all with pretty good game experience, including their leading scorers. So, never count them out.

Notre Dame had a pretty young squad, they had 3 players evenly tied for top goal scorers and will return one of them. I expect their youngsters to be a little more battle hardened next year, watch out for them.

North Polk looks to lose some senior talent that makes it look tough for them to repeat as qualifiers. Look for maybe Des Moines Christian to return.

Treynor is another one to watch from the West. I thought maybe they would pull it out this year and qualify again. I think they're a quality side and the school always produces good athletes. They return their top three goal scorers (and their assist leader) this could be a dangerous team.)

1A will look different next year, classifications will have to change due to the growing number of 1A schools. Currently 3A is top 48, 2A is next 48, 1A is the rest. Next year that will be 3A top 48, 2A next 56, 1A the remaining schools. That means Assumption and some of the larger 1A schools will move up to 2A.

1A will look different next year, classifications will have to change due to the growing number of 1A schools. Currently 3A is top 48, 2A is next 48, 1A is the rest. Next year that will be 3A top 48, 2A next 56, 1A the remaining schools. That means Assumption and some of the larger 1A schools will move up to 2A.

Interesting! I hadn't heard that. So, using this past years data, that would mean the North Polk, Panorama, Centerville, CPU, South Tama, Humboldt, Assumption and Creston would move up.

The next schools in line would be Solon (who was actually exactly tied with Creston at 342 last year - I wonder what they would do with a tie on the break point?) Nevada, Benton, Vinton Shellsburg and Greene County...

As for annual variability, there are only 37 students that separate North Polk from Greene County (top to bottom) so, a few added or dropped students could really shake up that list.

Very interesting. Nearly every one of those schools fielded solid teams this past season. Many of them ranked at some point during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT