ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Crusaders Football

How many State Titles will Heelan win in the next 10-years?

• 4 or more

• None

Results are only viewable after voting.
Declining enrollment and low numbers in football will make this a monumental challenge. They are clearly behind SBL. 5 consecutive losses to them...won't get any better in the near future.

SBL is better at every sport than heelan. It's fact.

Freshman and sophomore classes not strong at all, and having watched their current 8th grade, I would think that is as poor of a class as they have maybe ever had. Neighbors kid played on the east middle 8th grade team that beat them 50-0. And they were decent.

As mentioned, their enrollment is dropping and I think they will need to consider dropping to 2A if they want to have a shot at football championships.

Reactions: Kraftwerk
Declining enrollment and low numbers in football will make this a monumental challenge. They are clearly behind SBL. 5 consecutive losses to them...won't get any better in the near future.

Freshman and sophomore classes not strong at all, and having watched their current 8th grade, I would think that is as poor of a class as they have maybe ever had. Neighbors kid played on the east middle 8th grade team that beat them 50-0. And they were decent.

As mentioned, their enrollment is dropping and I think they will need to consider dropping to 2A if they want to have a shot at football championships.

There's a lot wrong with that post, but the most wrong is enrollment numbers. They are not declining.

Numbers are declining. Check the Iowa Beds document. Down almost 40 kids from 2 years ago.

Numbers are declining. Check the Iowa Beds document. Down almost 40 kids from 2 years ago.

I'm close to administration officials, and no, the numbers aren't declining. There are fluctuations, yes. But the overall system numbers are on the rise.

Well...I'm close to THE administrator and the numbers are declining. As I mentioned the BEDS documents dont lie.

Reactions: wchawkeye44
Well...I'm close to THE administrator and the numbers are declining. As I mentioned the BEDS documents dont lie.
From what I hear and see those Heelan administrators need to decline. That volleyball coach thing, the recent sports performance and general climate is on those bad administrators. And of course, they are saying the numbers are growing. Their jobs depend on that, it’s certainly not their job performances that keep them around.

On this side of the state we were wondering what happend to Heelan. At mid-season it looked like they were rolling and then were whipped by Spencer and SB-L. Not just losing but whipped. Been awhile since they were a factor state wide which is rare for a private school in 3a. Doesn't look like the future looks real good either from the posts above. Counting on a frosh class isn't exactly encouraging since the numbers of ninth grade are usually half of that by varsity time. Something about commitment and expectations that change those numbers.

On this side of the state we were wondering what happend to Heelan. At mid-season it looked like they were rolling and then were whipped by Spencer and SB-L. Not just losing but whipped. Been awhile since they were a factor state wide which is rare for a private school in 3a. Doesn't look like the future looks real good either from the posts above. Counting on a frosh class isn't exactly encouraging since the numbers of ninth grade are usually half of that by varsity time. Something about commitment and expectations that change those numbers.

Our freshman class will dominate. Our 6th grade class is even better. You will see a performance like Xavier put on last night in a few years by the Boys in Blue. Other than our running back this year who was the toughest guy on the team and a few lineman and our receiver we didn’t have much talent but all of that is changing and Coach Jansen is mad and won’t listen to any more talk about other teams being better than Heelan in Western Iowa. Go Blue!

BH never stop posting here and start giving Crusader pre game pep talks! Go Blue ! Can’t wait to see that 6th grade group! Tell me there is a Wegher grand kid !

There actually is another Wegher! Great might see Crusaders win something again since the last one won a title or two by himself. Kid scored every TD and made every tackle while others held the trophy’s up thinking they mattered.

You are right in some regards but I will remind you that Heelan beat them in wrestling last year and that the freshmen football teams have won the last 2 years. SBL has no doubt raised the bar but I wouldn't be writing Heelan off anytime soon either.

You are right in some regards but I will remind you that Heelan beat them in wrestling last year and that the freshmen football teams have won the last 2 years. SBL has no doubt raised the bar but I wouldn't be writing Heelan off anytime soon either.

Except for Daniel Wright, who of any significance does SBL have coming back next year?

That starting off the season on a decent level, but then fading rather than getting better was a pattern that started with the previous coaching regime. There is a good amount of talent and size coming back, so Jansen & co should be able to reverse that troubling trend.

There actually is another Wegher! Great might see Crusaders win something again since the last one won a title or two by himself. Kid scored every TD and made every tackle while others held the trophy’s up thinking they mattered.

Not so fast there, bub. BW was a freak athlete, no doubt. With him, they were the best team in the state his senior year, at any level. But the team around him was good enough that they probably would have taken the '08 3A title even without him.

Reactions: paxregis
This thread is so entertaining!! Listening to the prideful Heelan fans rub each other tummys to make yourself feel better. You are some of the same posters who talked about winning your first round game and going all the way to the dome. Now your stating how great your 6th graders are? Please keep posting.

Reactions: LincolntwspFarmer
Not so fast there, bub. BW was a freak athlete, no doubt. With him, they were the best team in the state his senior year, at any level. But the team around him was good enough that they probably would have taken the '08 3A title even without him.
Ya right lol win 4a win 3a without Wehgers 80 Tds and 5,000 yds. Good grief. You are banned from posting for two weeks for being overly silly or delusional.

Top tier programs prove it on the field game after game, win or lose. You just can't handle the losing side of it. Meaningless, words don't mean anything except to the person that is writing them. Your making Heelan fans look bad and that is unfortunate. I know there are a lot of good Heelan fans and it is a well respected program.

Reactions: zro pts4u
Heelan is down, you would be foolish to disagree. Being involved with Heelan I can tell you the issues stem from the Admin and parents. Admins have had it too good for too long with no oversight or expectations, parents have griped and complained and ruined the competitive drive the school used to be known for (not all mind you, but it only takes a couple parents to do this).

Heelan used to be great because it was expected of you to work towards greatness. Now it seems to me that some kids and parents expect to just show up and win without sacrifice. I hope that the kids that work hard and do the right things work into leadership roles and right the ship. Until then SBL owns the Siouxland Area and will continue to do so until Heelan beats them.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Heelan and it's community. Largely the coaches and teachers. They get paid squat and any success they have is based on their hard work and sacrifice, also the families that still support the "old ways", meaning that things are earned and not given.

i would not write heelan off yet, they have proven track record, and that is damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT