ADVERTISEMENT

2015-2016 Class 1A Basketball

Gladbrook Reinbeck or Brit look good for next year. Smoldt showed himself at State. Can he take
West Handcock is returning two premier scorers. Maybe they can make State with that fire power.
Boyden Hull should be right there again at the end of the year. Tough schedule again which will benefit them for end of the year.
Colo Nesco should have a good year again. They return most everyone from 20+ season.
Don't sleep on Jesup or Janesville...

I'll note that Gladbrook Reinbeck had very good Seniors this year, but they also might lose a few others as the school decided to close their Gladbrook school.....and it's likely they might see a sizable amount of kids open enroll out due to that. With that, if they make it back to state next year, I would be extremely surprised.

Boyden-Hull is my favorite. Nodaway Valley has arguably the best returning player in Lamb.

Here are 8 others than could be in the mix in no particular order
Harris-Lake Park
South O'Brien
Jesup
Janesville
North Linn
Fremont-Mills
Meskwakie Settlement School
AR-WE-VA

G-R will not be effected by the Gladbrook school closing. Gladbrook served as a K-2 and 5-8 school.
Smoldt is the only offense returning for next year. Unless some of the underclassmen step up, it will be tough to get back to The Well.

There really aren't that many from Gladbrook who would affect the team. Biggest issue is experience lost off this years team.

Hard to think of Janesville as being in running for state champions next year. In my opinion their very weak regular season schedule hurts them come districts. Case in point this year they blew most teams out and then lost to Denver who played 1A, 2A and 3A teams all year in the NICL and were more battle tested and prevailed against Janesville. Don't see anything being different for them next year.

Hard to think of Janesville as being in running for state champions next year. In my opinion their very weak regular season schedule hurts them come districts. Case in point this year they blew most teams out and then lost to Denver who played 1A, 2A and 3A teams all year in the NICL and were more battle tested and prevailed against Janesville. Don't see anything being different for them next year.
Janesville's leading scorer was injured and did not play in the game against Denver

Jesup will be battle tested through another tough NICL East season
Janesville will get inflated wins, in the weak Iowa Star, along with Colo, and Meskwaki, but Janesville might be just good enough to sneak through depending on the district.
GR will not be bad, even with the loss of a great amount of seniors. They still return their best player, and a few decent chips could rise. That being said, last years team was special, and could have competed with 3a. They will probably be given a tough draw in districts, and I doubt they escape.

As for Western basketball, I have absolutely no idea, so I'm not going to talk about it.

Jesup will be very tough next year. They have not lost yet this summer and have played some tough 3a schools Williamsburg, Central Dewitt, and Solon to name a few.

North Linn is my sleeper team. Outstanding incoming freshmen class along with a good group of sophomores. They will be young but with all the offseason work, not inexperienced. They always play hard.

Reactions: jagszie
North Linn is my sleeper team. Outstanding incoming freshmen class along with a good group of sophomores. They will be young but with all the offseason work, not inexperienced. They always play hard.
Does anybody know what Grand View Christian and Ankeny Christian will have this year? Both teams were good last year and I thought Ankeny christian had a lot of talent returning.

Reactions: JustCourtney
Ankeny Christian returns a good front court and Grandview Christian returns their back court. ACA does not have a true pg returning. GVC does not have much size coming back. Sounds like they would be a good team if the were together..lol...so for these teams it depends on the young guys on how far they go...

IKM-Manning will be making the move down to 1A and should be in the mix. Very impressive last year in 2A and return two real nice players in Wagner and Vollstedt.

umm........ I think all teams make it to the postseason! (You shouldn't seem so uncertain there.....) I see your on to basketball since the football team is not playing. See ya next year on the football boards (Why, are you going away for a while? This site won't be the same without you.)
Lol well weren't you a bit more cautious than usual in writing that troll post.......;)

St. Eds and IKM Manning are my two favorites. Those two teams are loaded and will be much stronger than most teams in 1A.

Hard to believe basketball is already here.

Hey, does anyone know if in basketball 2 Technical Fouls on one player/bench = an automatic ejection?

Reactions: warriors dad
Depends on the situation. A coach can have multiple technicals in a game for book/clerical errors and not get ejected.

Would the book/clerical errors be a bench technical and obviously separate from a coach getting technicals for conduct or behavior? I know if a coach gets "T'd" up twice it's an ejection and if it's in 2nd half it's 1 game suspension for next game too(or it was I know 4 or 5 years ago when I witnessed it happen lol)

"umm........ I think all teams make it to the postseason! I see your on to basketball since the football team is not playing. See ya next year on the football boards." Ummm, I see "your" still in need of some basic English classes. Remind me again who won the SE SEV fball game? I'll have to call me friends in FD and find out.

Would the book/clerical errors be a bench technical and obviously separate from a coach getting technicals for conduct or behavior? I know if a coach gets "T'd" up twice it's an ejection and if it's in 2nd half it's 1 game suspension for next game too(or it was I know 4 or 5 years ago when I witnessed it happen lol)
Yes. Book/Clerical technicals do not get a coach ejected.

Can't believe football is almost near a close and that basketball is creeping up. NBA is here, college basketball is tipping off, and soon enough we'll be watching high school games. Exciting time of the year for hoopers all around the state! Should be interesting to see how things shake out this year. Look forward to seeing what kind of strength Smoldt from GR can hold as a lot will be expected out of him.

Kind of crazy how the Iowa Star top 3 is catching so much heat for losing in the postseason. Last year I believed in terms of a better team was 1. Meskwaki 2. Colo 3. Janesville. Clearly the head to head matchups didn't show it but if you were there you could tell. Yes, the Iowa Star isn't as great as other conferences, but still were quality teams with talent. Meskwaki lost to a solid Jesup team, the game was close the entire way until the final couple minutes. Many people saw it as Jesup blowing out Meskwaki or handling them when in fact it was a good game. As for Janesville, they played the final 5 or so games without their leading scorer which isn't an easy task for anyone. And after talking with a few players from CN, they just stated they couldn't knock down shots.

Janesville will return a majority of starters, so they should be better than they were last year. Same story with Colo Nesco as they didn't lose a lot with the graduating class. Both Colo and Meskwaki return arguably a few of the top players in 1A with Reischauer and Tahahwah. Meskwaki lost their schools leading scorer in points, but look to have a few younger guys step up this year and be key parts to the team.

Also, watch out for Darius Lasley-Shields for South Tama as he looks to continue putting nice numbers! Definitely excited for basketball to get underway and hope the best for all teams throughout the state!

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with showing pride towards people you seemingly know, but why overhype them?

Can't believe football is almost near a close and that basketball is creeping up. NBA is here, college basketball is tipping off, and soon enough we'll be watching high school games. Exciting time of the year for hoopers all around the state! Should be interesting to see how things shake out this year. Look forward to seeing what kind of strength Schmidt from GR can hold as a lot will be expected out of him.

Kind of crazy how the Iowa Star top 3 is catching so much heat for losing in the postseason. Last year I believed in terms of a better team was 1. Meskwaki 2. Colo 3. Janesville. Clearly the head to head matchups didn't show it but if you were there you could tell. Yes, the Iowa Star isn't as great as other conferences, but still were quality teams with talent. Meskwaki lost to a solid Jesup team, the game was close the entire way until the final couple minutes. Many people saw it as Jesup blowing out Meskwaki or handling them when in fact it was a good game. As for Janesville, they played the final 5 or so games without their leading scorer which isn't an easy task for anyone. And after talking with a few players from CN, they just stated they couldn't knock down shots.

Janesville will return a majority of starters, so they should be better than they were last year. Same story with Colo Nesco as they didn't lose a lot with the graduating class. Both Colo and Meskwaki return arguably a few of the top players in 1A with Reischauer and Tahahwah. Meskwaki lost their schools leading scorer in points, but look to have a few younger guys step up this year and be key parts to the team.

Also, watch out for Darius Lasley-Shields for South Tama as he looks to continue putting nice numbers! Definitely excited for basketball to get underway and hope the best for all teams throughout the state!

1. Are you talking about Smoldt from G-R?
2. No offense, but why are you always overhyping Meskwaki and its players? They have probably a less than zero chance of making any significant noise. And I don't think anyone would say Tahahwa is one of the best 1a players in the state.
3. The kid from South Tama scores points on a bad team, mostly in garbage time.

I don't have a problem with showing pride towards people you seemingly know, but why overhype them?

1. Are you talking about Smoldt from G-R?
2. No offense, but why are you always overhyping Meskwaki and its players? They have probably a less than zero chance of making any significant noise. And I don't think anyone would say Tahahwa is one of the best 1a players in the state.
3. The kid from South Tama scores points on a bad team, mostly in garbage time.
Oops, lol yeah I obviously meant Smoldt, don't know how or why I thought Schmidt. I'm not "overhyping" Meskwaki and their players, I just think they are easily overlooked by many people. They aren't an NBA team, but they also aren't a push over JV team. They're better than you think. Also, the kid from South Tama causes problems for teams they play. He plays on a bad team, but that doesn't mean he still doesn't make an impact. Due to playing on a bad team, he is box-and-1'd and even double teamed, yet he still gets his. No offense taken whatsoever, just taking a stance for the top 3 teams in the weak Iowa Star.

I realize it is just a jamboree, but Colo-Nesco p-pounded 3A Gilbert.
I watched that game. Part of it is Gilbert returns little other than Blum, but part it that C-N is really good. Gilbert tried playing their normal run and gun style against then. Bad idea, C-N can score from all five positions and from inside and outside with most of their players, and they are a fantastic passing team.

I'm not looking forward to my son's team playing them in Jan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT