ADVERTISEMENT

2012 3A TRACK

Again, it's early but in addition to Washington, Spirit Lake Park, Webster City and Waverly-Shell Rock are showing some early signs of quality events at the Ames indoor meet. Clear Creek has some fast kids that have already run well at the Demon Indoor against some bigger schools. ADM has some really nice looking athletes that competed well at the Central Indoor meet.

Now that the basketball/wrestling seasons have wound down, smaller schools that rely heavily on multi-sport athletes are just starting to get their teams together and preparing for the month of April. Traditionally strong teams like Decorah, Harlan, Sioux City Heelan, Charles City, Mt. Pleasant, Atlantic, Glenwood etc... all will be geared up in about 3 weeks trying to get kids qualified for Drake. I'm always amazed at how fast kids can get in shape and perform well in a very short period of time.

Is DeWitt in 3A or 2A? They usually have a solid team. Should be able to see which teams in the WaMac look like tomorrow at the indoor meet.

Dewitt Central is 3-A and have had a strong program over the years. What is the location of the WaMac Indoor meet? Cornell College? I don't remember seeing them yet indoors.

Fibber - You listed ADM as a team to watch after a strong showing at the Central Meet? What would you consider as strong? ADM had one guy finish 4th in the 800 and then their 4x4 team finished 6th with a 3:47 time...which isn't good.

Originally posted by Fibber McGhee:
Again, it's early but in addition to Washington, Spirit Lake Park, Webster City and Waverly-Shell Rock are showing some early signs of quality events at the Ames indoor meet. Clear Creek has some fast kids that have already run well at the Demon Indoor against some bigger schools. ADM has some really nice looking athletes that competed well at the Central Indoor meet.

Now that the basketball/wrestling seasons have wound down, smaller schools that rely heavily on multi-sport athletes are just starting to get their teams together and preparing for the month of April. Traditionally strong teams like Decorah, Harlan, Sioux City Heelan, Charles City, Mt. Pleasant, Atlantic, Glenwood etc... all will be geared up in about 3 weeks trying to get kids qualified for Drake. I'm always amazed at how fast kids can get in shape and perform well in a very short period of time.

Many teams don't get things rolling until April. Sometimes you can look at the physicality of an athlete(s) and see potential. The way a person competes even when they aren't in good condition early on is worthy of attention. If the kids are willing to work hard, they have a good coach that knows what to do with them and have a chance at success. Don't put a lot of stock in early season performances. It's a long way to May yet.

A darkhorse for the 3A Team Title is Decorah. They have the fastest 4x400 in 3A and have a discus thrower that is the best in the state too. I think they have over 10 events at state this year. Also, watch out for Waverly-SR too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT