ADVERTISEMENT

2012 2A TRACK

I would think maybe West Marshall, Monty and St. Edmond will all be fighting at the top. Beckman? Regina?
This post was edited on 3/15 4:20 PM by Spoon3251

I was on Quik stat and Beckman has the number 1 or 2 times in about 5 events. The will be one of the top teams

Not that Beckman may not have a top team. But to have top times this early is not relevant. Unless we are talking traditionally top times like a 3:25 4x4, 50.x 400 etc... I haven't taken the time to look, but this early rarely means anything.

Cody has a valid point!! Teams may not have "stacked" certain relays because runners aren't in shape yet.

Here's a few of the top teams as I see it listed in no particular order.

St Ed's - Neil Flattery and Nate Kolacia could pick up 30+ points on their own. A least two others return that scored points individually.

Beckman - their times are already good. They have 4 solid runners back from some fast relays last year.

West Marshall - Return a solid 5-6 runners that will form some top relays. They could pick up some points in the field events as well.

Monticello - Will likely pick up 10+ points in the field events. Will place in multiple relays, most notably in the 4x800.

Mediapolis - Return all 4 runner from relay teams.

Clarion-Goldfield - Don't be surprised if they end up near the top 5 team finish at the State Meet.

Mid-Prairie - consistently has good relays and had 4 underclassman on their state placing 4x4 from last season.

Iowa City Regina - Starting slower than expected, but they will have multiple placings at the State Meet.

Monticello or St. Ed's have to be the favorite for the top two teams, it will be a dogfight for the title. West Marshall will be in the mix of the top 3 teams as well.
This post was edited on 4/11 10:26 AM by Jako18

Obviously a lot will change as teams start to use their best runners and work to improve their times, but I took a look at a few contenders for the team race.

Dyersville, Beckman has the fastest current times in 4 of the 6 relays in 2A. That's 40 points right there.
Based on their current top 5 performers, they're looking at a possible 51 points.

St. Edmond, meanwhile, has a lot of room to improve on their times, though right now hypothetically they got 42 points showing based on top 5 performances.

Nobody else really comes close to those two based on current top 5 performers. Obviously you have to factor in 6-10 place finishers, but SE and Beckman will likely add those as well.

So like I said, a lot will depend on how each of the contenders begin to improve their times and put runners in events where they can do damage as we get closer to state.

I believe the weather lately has had some impact on times. Teams peaking at right time is always important.

Usually don't get too worried about early times with weather factors, in season weights and experimentation with combinatiions on relays etc.

I think you have to look at who is returning from the previous year's state meet and what they have done to date this year. Based off of last year, FDSE returns enough to score 50+ points. They can score high in the 800, 400, medley, 1600, HJ, and 3200. DB can get to 50 with the 4x1, 4x2, 4x4, hurdle relay, and some individual events. WM can score high in the 4x2, 4x4, and several individual events. I think the team champion will come out of these 3, with FDSE being the favorite and DB being a team with a great shot to upset them. I just mention WM because they have been in the top 3 the last 3 years and have a lot of returning state participants. I am sure there are others that can challenge like Mediapolis, Monticello, and Regina, but I am not sure if they have the returning state experience as first 3 listed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT