ADVERTISEMENT

2012 1A TRACK

I think Lisbon can compete. Connor Smock gives them a chance if he is able to put up at least 30 points. I dont think anyone will touch him in the two mile or mile. I also see that Ben Knake hit 6'5 in the HJ which is solid this early in the season. Outside of that they need more people to step up.

Manson has been putting up some very impressive times being this early in the year. They are a young team and can only improve.

I agree Manson is looking extremely tough. They pushed St. Eds to their limit at the Dodger Relays on Tuesday night.

My money is on Madrid. Johnson is going to finish high in whatever he qualifies. Definitely one of the best sprinters in the state and I think he leads the Tigers to yet another championship.

Word is that after a recount and the finding of a scoring error that MNW in fact beat St. Ed's at the dodger relays. Will be anxious to see if the Fort dodge messenger puts in the correction.
I know Madrid and Lisbon are strong- they may very well win- but MNW does have a very good team- their sprint relays are very strong- have the top long jumper and their distance med. is 2nd as of now...so we will see. No guarantees in track- anything can happen

Manson is good and I was impressed at the Dodger Relays. Congrats if they did beat SE. However, let's understand that you can beat a team in a regular season meet, but not at State. If you beat a team, in my book, you are better until they beat you. IMO best way to predict state is looking at quickstats and comparing the stats to teams in your own class. Even that is shaky, but I think a better way to gauge a team's chances at state. Good luck the rest of the way Woobster. See you on the 24th.

A tie is correct- I stand corrected and I agree with you SE xc1- track is funny that way- with the right mix of teams you can win one meet but lose the next- all depends on each teams strengths. SE has some awesome kids....I just hope both teams stay injury free and keep the batons off the track and we'll see who ends up where- but two good teams- I could watch Neil Flattery run all day- dude is just flat out tough.

Did Belle Plaine lose a lot of guys off last year's team that did well at State or what just happened? I see they only qualified the Medley for State. Also, Madrid did well but for them to win would take a huge effort on their part and a few teams (mostly Lisbon) to do not score well at State. I'm interested in how things play out for 1A, should be a good three days of competition.

All I know is that I bit my tongue for quite awhile on Manson Northwest Webster. NOt sure which board it was on but someone a long time ago made the comment that the MNW team, which was runner up last year, was a one man team in Taylor Huseman. No disrespect towards Taylor- what a great track athlete, but MNW has proven they were not a one man team last year.
They will take 9 events to state and be favored in 4 of them- also being 2nd in the long jump. I don't know how we will run- you never know down there- but it has been a great year at MNW. It should be a great meet- strong traditional teams like Madrid- outstanding performers like Connor Smock- and that is just 1A. Good luck to all- I think I will even pull for the gaels in 2A- can they win it??

How many athletes will have to choose which event to participate in due to a field event scheduled at the same time as running event?

Not many this should of been taking care of at the Dist.meet the coaches could of look at the State Schedule long before now.My daughter went through this every year.

Because of the state track schedule, it is an issue. Could the schedule be such that it is not an issue at all? I'm sure (well, I hope) more veteran state track officials have looked at this before.

Smock really did not have to exert a lot of effort at the district meet in Belle Plaine last week. The only event he really appeared to give it his all was the Medley where they had the baton in 4th I believe before he took off and ran down Timm from HLV and cruised to victory. As far as Belle Plaine is concerned, them only qualifying the Medley is about accurate for their team and their talent they have. I was late to the meet due to work and heard their was a bit of controversy regarding Belle Plaine and North Linn in 4x8. Anyway, Belle Plaine just lost way too much talent from last year's team to compete. I wouldn't be surprised to see them compete at a high level again in a few years however. They have some talented freshmen and some talented junior high runners as well.

The 4x800 race @ BP was one of the craziest I have seen. The anchor for BP got a smack down, too bad really because it looked like he was going to win the race & then they didn't get in on time. Agreed with the future for Belle Plaine, you see what they ran this year & everything was from freshmen or sophomores. They have been pretty solid for the past 10 years & really should be back in contending mode next year.

Originally posted by Junebug44:
The 4x800 race @ BP was one of the craziest I have seen. The anchor for BP got a smack down, too bad really because it looked like he was going to win the race & then they didn't get in on time. Agreed with the future for Belle Plaine, you see what they ran this year & everything was from freshmen or sophomores. They have been pretty solid for the past 10 years & really should be back in contending mode next year.

Not just a "smackdown" also got a knockdown. It was unfortunate as both teams would have qualified on time. Great race that unfortunately came down to who could get up first after the collision and run the 30 meters to the finish. Differing points of view on who caused both anchors to go down.

I see where you can look at results for events, but WHERE can you see a points standing for teams? Thanks!

I noted team/point standings off the front page to the left, in some of the event result listings, at the end of the post.

Congrats to Manson winning the state team championship. Next year they return all of their relay guys except stuhrenburg but have younger guys that will be more than ready to step up.

Yep, they could repeat- they will need a couple guys to take the next step...but a year more in the weightroom will make them faster and stronger. But instead of looking ahead, just a big congrats to coaches- Anliker, Jacobsen, and Wood and the Cougars on a great performance- first state title ever for MNW in any sport....really cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT