Glenwood vs. Norwalk

Spencer vs. Decorah

2A: [Brackets are as listed. Winner of top game plays winner of next listed]

Bettendorf vs. Linn-Mar Marion

Des Moines Hoover vs. Iowa City West

WDM Dowling Catholic vs. Urbandale

Sioux City East vs. Cedar Rapids Washington

------------------------------------------------

No big bad WDM Valley or Cedar Rapids Xavier.

Predictions:

1A: Norwalk
2A: WDM Dowling Catholic

Dowling and Glenwood are my picks.

Dowling has too many threats and have a solid defense, they should beat Urbandale who is kind of a surprise to me.

Glenwood should knock of Norwalk first round, especially if they try to score and pack it in again.

Should be a good first game in 1A for G'wood and Norwalk. Would be interesting to see how Norwalk fairs with the likes of last years tourney team captain Eric May and company on offense. There are easily upwards of 5 go-to guys to score goals for Norwalk at any time. It isn't a one man show over here. Its been a great little series between Glenwood and Norwalk over the years though. The last meeting went in Glenwoods favor 1-0 in 2005. The time before that Norwalk spanked Glenwood. Ill bet it's a 1-0 game again, hopefully in the Warriors' favor.

Who does Glenwood have around the field. Anyone playing college ball?

Glenwood has a couple players that will continue playing after high school. It's definitely the match-up of the first round.

PerryWhite:

On what grounds do you base your 4-1 prediction? The worst loss that Norwalk has had in the last 5 years has been 3-1 in the 2006 State Championship versus the most stacked Xavier team ever. Every other loss has been within 1 goal. 4-1 is a very unlikely outcome.

Well, the grounds that I am currently at is in Perry, I am now based there untill summer is over. I said 4-1 because i work by norwalk and if a started on fire the forwalk Fire dept. would have to put me out. otherwise its like gooner 6-0.

Everyone is underestimating Spencer mainly because they are up in the NW Iowa. They lost to Decorah @ the Waverly Tourney in a PK shootout. They also lost to Glenwood at this tournament where they mainly dominated the game but just gave up two critical mistakes and couldn't get a goal in after several attempts. I'm not saying they will win state, but I also don't think they should be overlooked as a "easy win" by any means.
This post was edited on 5/25 12:22 PM by SpencerPride

Originally posted by SpencerPride:
Everyone is underestimating Spencer mainly because they are up in the NW Iowa. They lost to Decorah @ the Waverly Tourney in a PK shootout. They also lost to Glenwood at this tournament where they mainly dominated the game but just gave up two critical mistakes and couldn't get a goal in after several attempts. I'm not saying they will win state, but I also don't think they should be overlooked as a "easy win" by any means.

This post was edited on 5/25 12:22 PM by SpencerPride
Who is underestimating Spencer? I haven't read anything that said Spencer will be an easy team to get by? That was maybe one of the most random posts I've ever seen. Everyone is just talking about the Norwalk/Glenwood game because it's a battle between #1 and #2 in the first round.

Just arrived in the complex and they installed internet, lucky you. What smart-alick (sp) did you post that you were afraid would get you blacklisted. Cmon holmes we all know norwalk will choke.

Okay maybe not underestimating, but overlooking. They haven't really gotten the deserved recognition in the state polls and no one is really talking about them, which could prove to be an advantage I suppose.

You got to read the whole sentence. I know Norwalk schools are pretty good at teaching how to read, but I could be wrong. When do games start anyway? By the way i saw a huge moose yesterday, was pretty cool

I would not overlook Dubuque Wahlert on the top side of the bracket. If we are using Xavier as a measuring tool - 4 teams in the State bracket played them this year with 3 of the 4 beating Xavier.

Good for Glennwood players.

My guess is Norwalk, Glenwood, Wahlert all have three or four kids who will or could play next year, maybe Regina also. The thing is, many wont because their acedemic interests run toward schools that don't feature soccer or have other interests they want to pursue.

Keokuk, Spencer you too may feature kids with the ability to play, don't know. I have seen Decorah play and if Spencer is, as some have suggested -- a sleeper, I think it will be a short tournament for Decorah.

Looking forward to the tournament

The day has finally come. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Its supposed to clear up after 1PM. I've got work off and everything for today and tomorrow :D

Can't wait to see Spencer play.

I'll be at the tourney! The Spencer bus is leaving at 11 AM today so I'm pretty excited! Our motto all year has been " 99% Concentration is 100% Failure" so we need to have 100% concentration if we want to make any sort of noise in Des Moines! Should be a good competitive tourney!

I think all the rain is staying north (knock on wood).

Even though I have no team in particular to chear for in the state tournament, I'm still looking forward to watching some good high school soccer these next 3 days!

Spencer is a very solid team that i have seen play 3 different times this year. These kids have played together a lot and the thing is most are Juniors. If they don't put a good tournament together they will next year. Their coach, Ben McCrae, is a great coach who really knows what he is talking about and always has that team ready to play. All of this is tough to say being from Spirit lake and them always being our biggest rival on the soccer field. I would like to see Spencer play well and represent NW Iowa very well.

The only player i know that is going on for them is #8 the captain in the middle and he is heading to Central. They will have a good number of their players go on next year.

The most impressive thing i have seen from them is the way they use their heads. I have seen a lot of goals off of headers and flick ons for goals. They have a big guy #7 that they to get the ball on his header to either finish or set up a teammate off throw ins and it has been affective.

Best of Luck to everyone in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT