ADVERTISEMENT

1A

I think we'll have to wait and see. I don't think anyone thought that schedule of 2A opponents as going to be as weak as it was. If you look at how they handled Mepo, who has clawed their way back up to 13th on bound in 2A. Unfortunately, you have to play who you have scheduled. So, I think you're right in the respect that we really won't know until a couple rounds into playoffs.

I think the kicker comment is out of bounds. He's 28 for 30 PATs with 3 FGs. I'm not sure what you expect from 1A kickers. I think you owe the kid an apology.
Regina schedule is weak based solely upon playing in the class that it is

Regina is certainly a good team. Are they the juggernaut that the favorable schedule made them out to be, no. But I do think their passing offense will give teams a fit in the playoffs.

West Branch playing a very tough non district schedule, certainly paid off for them imo. They had already played some tough games.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlameIt
Regina is certainly a good team. Are they the juggernaut that the favorable schedule mess them out to be, no. But I do think their passing offense will give teams a fit in the playoffs.

West Branch playing a very tough non district schedule, certainly paid off for them imo. They had already played some tough games.
Regina has to get a running game going if they are going to advance in the playoffs. Too easy to just tee off on the QB, especially against their line.

Regina has to get a running game going if they are going to advance in the playoffs. Too easy to just tee off on the QB, especially against their line.
The Regals will make adjustments. Coach Dumont and staff have always shown that kind of resiliency.

As for Friday, WB is pretty stout against the run. Other than Naeve, nobody else was consistently able to get anything going.

has to get a running game going if they are going to advance in the playoffs. Too easy to just tee off on the QB, especially against
Agreed, just don’t see many teams who have a receiver like Naeve in 1A. Hard to cover that.

I agree on the whole Seydel did a fantastic job. I kept wondering why WB didn’t just have Seydel lock on to him the whole game. Seemed like when Naeve made his big plays Seydel wasn’t covering him. Not taking anything away from Naeve, he had some great plays.

Reactions: BlameIt
Underwood exposed Treynor. Was not expecting that. Treynor is a tough team, got the right bounces against Clarinda and AHSTW, but Underwood flexed.

PROJECTED 1A Rankings (week 6)

1) Grundy (6-0)
2) Underwood (5-1)
3) Sumner-Fred (5-1)
4) MFL-MarMac (5-1)
5) Wilton (6-0)
6) Regina (5-1)
7) Denver (5-1)
8) Sigourney-Keota (5-1)
9) West Branch (4-2)
10) Waterloo Columbus (4-2)

Thoughts??

Reactions: IGo42

1) Grundy (6-0)
2) Underwood (5-1)
3) Sumner-Fred (5-1)
4) MFL-MarMac (5-1)
5) Wilton (6-0)
6) Regina (5-1)
7) Denver (5-1)
8) Sigourney-Keota (5-1)
9) West Branch (4-2)

Thoughts??
I wouldn't argue with that. I haven't seen Underwood play, but in eastern Iowa, any of about 8 teams could make the semifinals IMO. And don't forget about Dike (3-3), although they got thumped by MFL 34-14, they did beat West Branch 9-7, beat Sumner-Fred 24-14, and only lost to #1 Grundy by 1pt 7-6...

This week we'll find out if Wilton (6-0) is for real or if their record is the product of a soft schedule when they face of with a tough West Branch (4-2).
Another huge game in District 3 as Denver (5-1) travels to MFL (5-1).
The other districts have pretty much determined their champions, as far as I know??

This week we'll find out if Wilton (6-0) is for real or if their record is the product of a soft schedule when they face of with a tough West Branch (4-2).
Wilton's opponents were a combined 6 wins to 30 losses through six weeks.

The Beavers will are in for an awakening on week 7 and 8 with WB and Regina.
Wilton lost by 40 to WB last year. Did they improve as much as WB has lost from last year? Guess we will find out

1) Grundy (6-0)
2) Underwood (5-1)
3) Sumner-Fred (5-1)
4) MFL-MarMac (5-1)
5) Wilton (6-0)
6) Regina (5-1)
7) Denver (5-1)
8) Sigourney-Keota (5-1)
9) West Branch (4-2)

Thoughts??
When you say "Projected" do you mean predicting what they will be or this is your ranking?

And if you are predicting, then which rankings

I'll project what I think the IHSAA Ranking will be (with the caveat, that we haven't seen how much they reward a head to head win vs the overall record.

I'll try to predict what they might do:

1) Grundy (6-0)
2) Underwood (5-1)
3) Sumner-Fred (5-1)
4) MFL-MarMac (5-1)
5) Wilton (6-0)
6) West Branch (4-2)
7) Regina (5-1)
8) Denver (5-1)
9) Sigourney-Keota (5-1)
10) PC (4-2)

I think they're more likely to keep 4-2 PC in the top ten than to bring 4-2 Columbus back in. I think they'll have to reward Wilton, though I believe they will lose the last two and ultimately drop out of the rankings.

I think they'll reward WB for the head-to-head win (WB wasn't in the rankings last wee, but clearly they were the question mark on everyone's minds. I think they earned a mid top 10 ranking and deserve to be placed over Regina.

They tough one is what to do with Treynor - They were #6 last week. Do they drop them completely out or give them the #10 spot as a 5-1 rather than 4-2 PC. But that thumping is hard to overlook.

Projected ---> Predicted

PC got thumped by an unranked Sigourney squad, so I think they drop out for this week. As will Treynor.

Waterloo Columbus gave Grundy all it wanted in their week 5 match-up. Two turnovers resulted in 14 points. Decided the game. Sailors were able to move the ball consistently.

D3 and D5 will have three teams each in the rankings, I feel.

Time will tell.

The other districts have pretty much determined their champions, as far as I know??

D1 - OABCIG (3-0) at Hinton (3-0) this week; West Sioux (2-1) at Hinton next week
D2 - Manson-NWW at Emmetsburg in Week 8
D6 - S-K at EBF in Week 8
D7 - Woodward-Granger (3-0) at South Hamilton (3-0) this week
D8 - Underwood needs 1 win to clinch

D1 - OABCIG (3-0) at Hinton (3-0) this week; West Sioux (2-1) at Hinton next week
D2 - Manson-NWW at Emmetsburg in Week 8
D6 - S-K at EBF in Week 8
D7 - Woodward-Granger (3-0) at South Hamilton (3-0) this week
D8 - Underwood needs 1 win to clinch
D5 - if West Branch (3-0) defeats Wilton (3-0), it will clinch the D5 title.

1) Grundy (6-0)
2) Underwood (5-1)
3) Sumner-Fred (5-1)
4) MFL-MarMac (5-1)
5) Wilton (6-0)
6) Regina (5-1)
7) Denver (5-1)
8) Sigourney-Keota (5-1)
9) West Branch (4-2)

Thoughts??
The State's Rankings are out:
GC
U'wood
Sum-Fred
MFL
Denver
Wilton
WB
Regina
SK
W Columbus

There is a rumor going around that the Sumner/Fred QB broke his wrist this weekend in Homecoming festivities. Not sure which hand but that would impact S/F quite a bit as their balanced attack has served them well in the very difficult D3. Lucky for them they are through the most difficult part of the district which will give them some time to heal up.

Denver has MFL and Dike the next two weeks (after Sumner last week) which could take a heavy toll on their physical health heading into playoffs :-(

There is a rumor going around that the Sumner/Fred QB broke his wrist this weekend in Homecoming festivities. Not sure which hand but that would impact S/F quite a bit as their balanced attack has served them well in the very difficult D3. Lucky for them they are through the most difficult part of the district which will give them some time to heal up.

Denver has MFL and Dike the next two weeks (after Sumner last week) which could take a heavy toll on their physical health heading into playoffs :-(
There was a rumor the WB QB was injured last year too. Lol. But that sucks for SF if true

Reactions: gdkid2010
With 2 weeks left - Here's my "way too early" stab at First Round Pairings (big changes still possible, especially in D3 and the less talked about D2. But I'll stick my neck out with an early stab at it.

HomeAway
OABCIGE Sac
HintonPoky
EmmetsburgHolstein Ridegeview
Sioux CenterW Sioux
MFLHudson
DenverS Hardin
GCDNH
W ColumbusSum Fred
WBEBF
ReginaPleasantville
S-KCascade
PCWilton
S HamiltonAHSTW
WW GrangerShenandoah
UnderwoodW Central Valley
TreynorOgden

Reactions: DCAHawk
Dike at Grundy would be a heck of a first round game. So would W. Col vs SF. I don't see how SF would not host first round.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Here is how I see it... (check my math)
If MFL over Denver this week ...
If Denver beats Dike next week ...
1. Sumner 1L (h-t-h vs MFL) 2. MFL 1L 3. Denver 2L (h-t-h vs Dike) 4. Dike 2L
If Dike beats Denver next week ...
1. MFL 1L (pts) 2. Sumner 1L (pts) 3. Dike 1L (pts) 4. Denver 3L
If Denver beats MFL this week ...
If Denver beats Dike next week ...
1. Sumner 1L (h-t-h vs Denver) 2. Denver 1L 3. MFL 2L (h-t-h vs Dike) 4. Dike 2L
If Dike beats Denver next week ...
1. Dike 1L (h-t-h vs Sumner) 2. Sumner 1L 3. Denver 2L (h-t-h vs MFL) 4. MFL 2L

Sumner should have home field unless unforeseen loss to AP or Central Springs. Spots 2 - 4 will come down to the wire, likely vying for the prize of not having to play GC round one. Even Waterloo Columbus could push a #3.

"Even Waterloo Columbus could push a #3."

I've said it once, I'll say it again:

Columbus has top 3 talent. If they get it together, they are as good as anyone in Class 1A. Their potential has yet to top out. Dangerous weapons at QB, RB, and WR.

Two big turnovers on a Thursday nigh5lt are the difference in Grundy Center having an undefeated season or being a 2 seed

Agree on Columbus. And normally you would expect a 2 to beat a 3, but D3 #3 is a tough team whoever it is.

Two ranked games in 1A tonight:

4 MFL v 5 Denver: the winner will likely be a top 4 seed in the IAHSAA rankings. The loser is likely on the road for the first round of postseason. MFL is pretty darn good on a dry field. Denver doesn't want an air show. Both teams will be methodical. I see MFL by 14+.

6 Wilton vs West Branch. A tale of two schedules. Wilton has played six teams with a combined 6-30 record. WB will be playing their 5th ranked opponent in 7 weeks (per the WBFB website). WB clinches the D5 crown with a win, and a possible top 4 seed. Wilton may fall to the #3 seed in D5 as they play @ Regina in week 8. I see WB by 14+

Anybody else have thoughts?

This is what I have for first round matchups

OABCIG vs Shenandoah

Emmetsburg vs Denver

MFL vs South Hardin

Grundy vs Ridge View

West Branch vs EBF

SK vs Grandview Christian

South Hamilton vs Beckman

Underwood vs NW Webster

West Sioux vs East Sac

Sioux Central vs Hinton

Sumner Fred vs Wilton

Columbus vs Pleasantville

Regina vs Hudson

Pella Christian vs DNH

Woodward Granger vs AHSTW

Treynor vs Ogden

I tried to divide out what I see as the best teams as much as possible.

Two ranked games in 1A tonight:

4 MFL v 5 Denver: the winner will likely be a top 4 seed in the IAHSAA rankings. The loser is likely on the road for the first round of postseason. MFL is pretty darn good on a dry field. Denver doesn't want an air show. Both teams will be methodical. I see MFL by 14+.

6 Wilton vs West Branch. A tale of two schedules. Wilton has played six teams with a combined 6-30 record. WB will be playing their 5th ranked opponent in 7 weeks (per the WBFB website). WB clinches the D5 crown with a win, and a possible top 4 seed. Wilton may fall to the #3 seed in D5 as they play @ Regina in week 8. I see WB by 14+

Anybody else have thoughts?
Wilton may be the only team in 1A who hasn't played a team with a winning record. They'll find out who they are tonight

Wilton may be the only team in 1A who hasn't played a team with a winning record. They'll find out who they are tonight
The Beavers are almost entirely underclassmen. May be a year away from the big time. Bears front line is a problem.

My understanding was that the first round was basically 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 where the opponents are not in the same district, but presumably matchups are based on proximity to minimize travel. And then 2nd round, the remaining 16 teams are put into pods of 4 where presumably they would try to split the teams up based more on the committee rankings and thus more travel could be expected. Are you suggesting that they try to do that already in round 1?

Manson-NW Webster (2-4) has not played a team with a winning record either. Quite the oddity this late in the season.

Last edited:
I will give it a shot. I do believe the IAHSAA will do the first round based on travel. After that the Pods come into play and travel doesn't matter as much.

OABCIG vs. Shenandoah
Emmetsburg vs. Ridge View
MFL vs. Hudson
Grundy Center vs. Dyersville Beckman
West Branch vs. E-B-F
Sigourney-Keota vs. Denver
South Hamilton vs. Manson-NW Webster
Underwood vs. Grandview Christian

Hinton vs. Sioux Central
West Sioux vs. East Sac
Sumner-Fred. vs. Wat. Columbus
DNH vs. South Hardin
IC Regina vs. Pleasantville
Pella Christian vs. Wilton
W-G vs. AHSTW
Treynor vs. Ogden

Reactions: rc1963
Anyone know if Wilton streams their games for free on YouTube? Won’t be able to make it tonight.

Personally I feel most likely scenario in D3 is MFL beats Denver and Denver beats Dike, resulting in 1. Sumner, 2. MFL, 3. Denver, 4. Dike meaning the following matchups...

Hudson at Sumner
South Hardin at MFL
Denver at Waterloo Columbus
Dike at Grundy

And admittedly I don't know much about D2, but based on BCMoore predictions over next two weeks (which many of them are very tight races) that would result in 1. Emmetsburg, 2. Pocohantas, 3. East Sac, 4 Sioux Central or
West Sioux at Emmetsburg
Ridge View at Pocohontas
East Sac at Hinton
Sioux Central at OABCIG

Dike and Grundy already played, even though they are not in the same district I bet the state would avoid that with many different places Dike could go and teams that Grundy could host.

I would agree I doubt that Grundy and Dike would meet in the first round since they have already played. The Association would probably have them play different first round opponents. The Pods will be very interesting this year with the rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT